Walnut shells for litter

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Walnut shells for litter

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

Super! I see a trip to Princess Auto in my future :)

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

baronrenfrew wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

if you are really concerned you can find Opta minerals (supplier to princess auto) online and call them. https://www.optaminerals.com

Bert Weiss, executive member of ECSONG - Eastern Chapter Society of Ontario Nut Growers
Thanks, for the info, Bert. I just checked out the Opta minerals website, and it looks like they also sell a corn cob abrasive. It has several of the same properties as the crushed walnut shell abrasive: porous – can be used to absorb contaminants, organic - renewable and environmentally friendly.
It is made from the hard woody ring of the corn cob. I think it would be compostable too. I wonder if chickens would eat it? If not, it might be a good alternative for those with nut allergies.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm

just reviewing my post- i come across as "the professor" know it all "pain in the ass superior" type, that's not my style, but when writing stuff you really have to choose your words to get context right. It is my style to become an "expert" on something when I search somethinng. everything except chicken genetics- to that I must defer to wllady and others here.

to me when they get talking about chicken genetics- that really is Greek to me.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Not at all Bert - just good info!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

@ baronrenfrew,

Your post doesn't come across snooty at all but I know what you mean regarding tone.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:36 pm

I can attest to berts statement that black walnut is hard to get out of the shell lol. We have black walnuts...beautiful wood. Nasty juglone and not worth the effort to get into. And nope they dont compost well and its hard on grass growing around the trees. But theyre black walnut...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Bert the tone was just right for imparting factual info. Thanks for that.
Linda, if you try the shells - or the corn cob! I would love to hear about it.
Jaye, thanks for the info re corn cob! I wonder if it's cheaper. I wonder, too, about the absorbency factor, if it would hold moisture. Maybe I will try a bag and use my cats as guinea pigs to see how it does for dust and odour and moisture. I use walnut shell for them now.

Return to “Around the Waterer”