What is GOOD (or Bad) about the area you live?

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: What is GOOD (or Bad) about the area you live?

Post by KimChick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Poultryprincess wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 pm
When I Googled places to retire, Kingston was in the top 5
It surre is beautiful there & great sailing too!
We are north of Kingston by about 40-45 mins. and a 2 minute drive south of Westport. We were looking for property with some bush, but what we found was out of our price range for what we would have had to put into the house and out buildings.
I love the wide open space and the convenience of a town nearby. The only thing that I do not like about being on a well-traveled road is the traffic noise with the house not far from the road.
Last edited by KimChick on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 am

Westport...is almost Switzerland! rolling hills and lakes. in fact, get a good old fashioned map and you'll see there is more water (lakes) between Kingston and Smiths Falls (or Perth) than there is land. Kingston was once wealthy (railroads and lots of old brick houses) with great country highways all around. I remember one Sunday drive we drove over a hill and thought wow! nice old house...then we got closer...and closer...three stories square brick house (almost a castle), tall windows and high ceilings, but the front yard was all tables heaped with stuff (yard sale? no, its not) and the house was in a sad state of repair.

And the Thousand Islands Parkway is always a nice drive. In fact, here's a monster cottage near the water with lots of room for birds (ducks? lol).
IMG_2331.JPG
with this cottage you could feed your ducks from any door or window!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

Hmmm, one thing that's at the top of my list of what's good about my area, is that it's FAR from Toronto LOL! Although we can smell the poop from Ottawa when the wind is just right ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am

Westport is lovely and the Thousand Islands and the Parkway are lovely too. We are lucky that we ended up in a rural area, east of Kingston. We didn't really know the area before we moved here and we really dislike Kingston and try not to go there very often. Taxes are high and the money is squandered on stupid and very expensive projects. They do not understand the concept of planning, and want to build everything in the downtown core with no thought to parking or traffic congestion. The mayor thinks we should all go around on bicycles so bike lanes predominate on narrow, congested roads. We have to stop on orange lights. Beware if you visit that Kingstonians like to slam on their brakes suddenly and without warning for any possible reason!

Every year, the students hold us hostage to their wild homecoming parties where they trash everything in sight. Police have to be hired from Toronto (at great expense) to control the rioting, and the University only chips in a small amount to cover the outrageous cost. No thought has been given to stop the stupidity, make it known that it won't be tolerated and to expel those involved. We have lived in other University towns and always thought that a University was an asset to the community, not a negative.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

The good stuff is the neighbors. The bad stuff is the neighbors.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 am

baronrenfrew wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 am
Westport...is almost Switzerland! rolling hills and lakes. in fact, get a good old fashioned map and you'll see there is more water (lakes) between Kingston and Smiths Falls (or Perth) than there is land. Kingston was once wealthy (railroads and lots of old brick houses) with great country highways all around. I remember one Sunday drive we drove over a hill and thought wow! nice old house...then we got closer...and closer...three stories square brick house (almost a castle), tall windows and high ceilings, but the front yard was all tables heaped with stuff (yard sale? no, its not) and the house was in a sad state of repair.

And the Thousand Islands Parkway is always a nice drive. In fact, here's a monster cottage near the water with lots of room for birds (ducks? lol).

IMG_2331.JPG

with this cottage you could feed your ducks from any door or window!
I think I've seen that cottage on that tiny island! Funny how some memories stay with us - like that old, neglected house; what a shame! And I would not want to live in Kingston; none of the traffic lights are synchronized and we purposely moved out of a big city.
I like all the rolling hills, the space, and all the surrounding water in Eastern Ontario; plus, DH has his choice of lakes for fishing, including a 5 min. walk to Upper Rideau Lake.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 pm

We live close to Stratford so close to London, Kitchener and about an hour and a half from Toronto. Love where we live , love the district, more money than some places but you don't have to go too far to find less expensive land. We are in a snow belt so we'll have snow and kitchener nothing. I would recommend this area but probably a little more north is less money.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I know someone who works at OPG and recently bought an old farmhouse, with property, in Gores Landing. It's a nice area, with lots of new development happening, I assume for commuters.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 am

I could so go on a rant here..lol...and a Joni Mitchell song comes to mind...i lucked into a beautiful piece of land here in Rideau Lakes..went off the electrical grid...trying my best to get off the propane grid...i find if you want amenities, you lose on choice, beauty, lack of neighbours...i prefer planning that occasional trip into town for stuff that i need...and generally speaking i dislike people...they have a habit of imposing their views and opinions on me and i tire of telling them to take a hike...having said that, PP, I hope you find your little piece of paradise...I am with the opinion of building a home for yourself rather than trying to fix another person's leftovers but its all economics in the end isn't it?...but if you build, put the house as far off the road as you can...the privacy afforded is heavenly and you will NEVER have to look at another wall that isnt your own...get a small, old tractor and a few implements for it and make your life...just my opinion... :beer2:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

I like our house here but the land more. Good soil (don't hate me). Everywhere we've lived we've had great neighbours and no problems. Here our direct neighbours are pure ba****ds to everyone and the rest aren't much better. Looking around we haven't found anywhere to move to. He has directly told me we're lousy neighbours and generally made threats. One person remarked in a meeting that the neighbours are rotten to this family and we should stop picking on them!
So as was previously said neighbours or lack thereof make the difference.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”