Harrowsmith resurrected

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Harrowsmith resurrected

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

For those old enough to remember the Harrowsmith of the seventies, with well researched informative articles of all things needed for the "back to the land" generation, may be happy to hear that it's back!!!
Curious to see how well it does now, anybody has seen any recent issues?
Any good?

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Harrowsmith resurrected

Post by Brebis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:36 pm

I hope it’s not like the Harrowsmith Countrylife that they made it into after it went under...that was horrible.

I still have a box of the original Harrowsmiths from the ‘70s...oh how I missed it when it was gone and hope this iteration is as good as the original. It’s hard to find good magazines these days that really go in-depth and you can spend days reading!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:12 pm

I think it will be darned hard to resurrect the passion and vision of the original Harrowsmith..I was a charter subscriber and still have the original 12 issues in one of the binders they offered....i had all yhe others right up to no. 45 i think and then someqhere they lost their monds and followed the money and went into the Harrowsmith-Country Life version....a sad mess that was...ads for trucks and big toys..totally urbanite oriented and had nothing to do with the original vision....oh well..lets hope they catch the vibe with this new kick at the can... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Brian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:50 pm

It is hard to go home again. Nothing is ever as good as one remembers. Especially in this world of blinking lights and sparkles. Set your expectations low and hope for something better than drivel. JMO

Nickyn
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Nickyn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm

I have a shelf full of the old issues. It was always my favourite. I’m going to be optimistic & hope it is great in its new incarnation!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 am

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Delving into the new Harrowsmith website doesn’t inspire me to think it will be much better than Harrowsmith Country Life as it’s published by the same company and the staff seem to be mostly the same. The “About” page is a whole blurb on their marketing for advertisers.

I’m hopeful but it looks like it’s trying to tap into the original Harrowsmith’s nostalgia as a marketing medium for upscale products....call me cynical but it seems to be the way things are going these days!

Oh, and the head office is in downtown Toronto....
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I am happy to give them a benefit of the doubt until I see couple of issues.
It really depends on if they will be able to get enough good contributors and choose the right content.
The "house beautiful" it became towards the end had nothing to offer to me anymore, I am not even sure there would be the customer base that was there in the Seventies, with the internet everybody can choose their special interest group and everybody has all the information however erroneous ;) at their fingertips.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I think the old Harrowsmith was like "Mother Earth News" and the "market" for country publications also has the British version of Country Living (which my wife prefers over the "American" Country Living as its more "country") then there's Small Farm Canada and a bunch of others.
Now the "shelf space" for magazines is smaller and they are trying to find a "niche".
Good luck to them.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:57 pm

That's good to hear OC. That is the only magazine I have ever subscribed to and looked forward to their bi-monthly issue. Read it from front to back. I will have to look into it. I wold also be curious to hear from other's if they have seen any of the new issues.

Return to “Around the Waterer”