Disposable, not here!!!

General discussion forum.
G Williams
On the Roost

Re: Disposable, not here!!!

Post by G Williams » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:17 am

Brebis wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 am
I wash the cans and bottles at the end of doing the dishes, doesn’t take any more energy and sure does make the recycling box smell better until it gets picked up!

We rinse cans and bottles out with cold water. Keeps odours down in the porch where we store it and I'm sure it helps at the recycling plant too. Aluminium foil used in cooking gets leftover meat scraps wrapped in it and set down for the barn cats. comes back so clean you could reuse it!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Disposable, not here!!!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm
Now this isn't exactly on topic but does relate to the green movement. There was a segment on the news that the Recycling Depot near Kingston has to landfill approximately 5% because it isn't clean? Apparently we are now supposed to scrub out our recycling with soap and hot water! Does this seem off to anyone else. We don't have many cans and such but I am sure not spending my hydro$ on this.
unfortunately that's not the issue. what we put in a "recycle bin" gets "sold" to China and they use it as feedstock or melt it down or whatever to make more stuff to sell to us. we no longer have many facilities that actually re-use and make things so we have little capacity to truly "recycle" be it cardboard, plastic, paper etc.

the Chinese have been upset that there is too much "garbage" or "contaminants" in their feedstock purchase: i.e. plastic baled among the cardboard, so they decided to ban the import of "recyclables" and municipalities all over North America are "euchred" as their loss of income as well as loss of space to "house" the recyclables let alone to actually find a place that will truly "recycle" it (i.e. Chinese papermills are made to reuse our "recycled" paper where we don't have any paper mills anymore).

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calg ... -1.4474619

meanwhile the Chinese don't recycle much of anything and keep filling and making new landfills. they put too much food waste with their "recyclables" and trash and do not have composting facilities.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Around the Waterer”