Safe to eat???

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Safe to eat???

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:12 pm

:question:
I have a habit of buying meat and freezing it for later. One of my hamburger packages said best buy March 2017 but I froze it. I went to cook it today but it is grey in colour, almost looks like meat gone bad. I never thawed it out and I never lost power long enough for it to thaw out so I would imagine it is still good.... yes.... no??? I assume the colour change is something like freezer burn? It should smell when I thaw it out, I never heard of meat going bad while frozen, any thoughts?
:lunch: :barf: :rip:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Safe to eat???

Post by ross » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Un cooked ground beef 3-4 mths in freezer .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:21 pm

ross wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm
Un cooked ground beef 3-4 mths in freezer .
Oops, so ten months is not good then. Is it bad Ross or just dried out? Could I give it to my barn cats?

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm

It's probably not deadly, but I'd give it to the dog :). or cats!

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Grey meat?! That sounds like you're describing a body unearthed in a archaeological dig. So no, I wouldn't eat it, or feed it to my animals either. I'd bin it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Dump it ,food saving not worth a vet bill or lose of life .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Is it gray just on the outside or right thru?
If it's just on the outside it's either a freezer burn or it has partially defrosted at some point.
Beef can be frozen for a year, but that's assuming it has been flash frozen at the processor.
Ground is always a bit risky, and if you froze it in your own freezer, it might have just taken too long to freeze.
You may want to pop a thermometer in to your freezer to check at what temperature it's running.
IDEAL FREEZER TEMPERATURE
To freeze food -23 C
To store frozen food - 18 C

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

if meat is a proper brown paper and flash frozen from butcher AND its in a chest freezer deep freeze- I've eaten beef (burger, steak, roast) that was 4 years old- no problem (we cut off a freezer burnt tip on a roast and the rest was fine); chicken two years no problem (of vacuum packed and thick plastic bag (thin plastic or broken plastic shorter time period).
any air in a package will drastically reduce shelf life. ground beef from a store is likely mixed from many beef animals and therefore shorter shelf life than meat from a single animal from your corner butcher.
meat in store display package (foam bottom, plastic wrap top) three months is the max as it freezer burns nasty.
stand up fridge/freezer: everything has a short shelf life compared to a chest freezer.
dog food? sure the dog will eat it and extremely unlikely any problems.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Gray means it's been exposed to the air. Some grocery stores have taken flack for 'soaking' meat in carbon monoxide to keep it red longer, allowing shelf life to be extended... because nobody wants to eat grey meat. Even if it's safe to eat, it likely won't taste very good.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Its likely freezer burnt and will be tough as nails cooked lol. I give that kind of stuff to the dog or out as yummies for the yotes if i know any hunters going out.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”