Safe to eat???

General discussion forum.
Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Safe to eat???

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

My opinion and practice is if meat looks good and smells good I will eat it.

Last week I found a Goose that was in the bottom of the deep freezer for a little over 2 years. Thawed it out. Put it in the oven at 325 F for 4.5 hours. It was darn good.

As long as meat is stored right it is safe. It might loose some of its tenderness and flavour if frozen to long but it will not go bad. Cook to the recommended temperature and you are good.

If it looks bad and smells off I toss it in the chicken maggot pail.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Safe to eat???

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm
Gray means it's been exposed to the air. Some grocery stores have taken flack for 'soaking' meat in carbon monoxide to keep it red longer, allowing shelf life to be extended... because nobody wants to eat grey meat. Even if it's safe to eat, it likely won't taste very good.
have to laugh, last week hubby came back with some ground from costco (we were out of ground everything at home gasp!) and the outside was nice and pink and inside was grey. i just looked at him and said "wow, meat repackaging at it's best!". that stuff will get used fast and cooked really really well.....sigh. hubby didn't get a deer last fall (and i wasn't hunting) so no ground good stuff in the freezer. looks like i might thaw some other cuts and grind them as opposed to buying repackaged grey stuff.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”