Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Happy birthday!!!
all you young whippersnapper, don't know the half of it yet... :birthday:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Happy Birthday Kathy

Post by kenya » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope your hubby takes you somewhere special! Dinner and a movie!!!

NormaK
On the Roost

Post by NormaK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm

:HappyDance: :birthday:
Norma :iheartpto:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Happy :birthday: !!

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks everyone! it was a very quiet birthday-hubby working late....people at work completely forgot, or something (i don't go around talking about it anyways....even though we have a list of birthdays on the fridge in the lab whatever). did my work, went home, did chores, avoided the snow and ice falling off the roof, and the 4 inch puddles of water everywhere! found out that we have a little female american kestrel that has moved into the barn! couldn't figure out what had left feathers all over the place from starlings and sparrows - at least 2 of them were killed yesterday between the turkey pens and the horse stalls...thought maybe our feral cat was back, but nope! this little kestrel seems to want to stay....and there was only 1 sparrow in the barn, and it was hiding LOL. i'll have to see if i can't get a photo or 10 tonight if it's still there. it's way too small to bother the chickens (chickens are all behind wire anyways) and turkeys and guineas are way too big for it.....so it can have all the sparrows and starlings it wants! there must have been between 50 and 100 in there the other day, the bird :poop: all over everything is just insane. so happy it's there...as long as it sticks with tweety birds....then a friend and her hubby dropped in with cinnamon buns! mmmmm yes, they did make it until this morning, but they won't last long! had to make some bread...hubby brought dinner home with him, so no dinner cooking....so just kinda another regular day!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am

IMG_3128.JPG
Hot darn! I've never heard of an American kestrel until now! ...body size from a blue jay to mourning dove...

Where can I get one?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

apparently there's one in my barn. LOL. looks EXACTLY like that one! beautiful critter. so...baron....just fill your barn with a bunch of sparrows and starlings for about 3 years.....have a wicked winter....and apparently they just appear in the rafters! LOL it's a little bigger than a blue jay, but not much. i'm going to see if i can get photos tonight if it's still there.
it was dark and a little stressed with me in the barn last night. lol.
sure are amazing in flight though! zipping through the rafters like they weren't even there!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm

No starlings here in winter. They arrive in March and leave in the fall. You (or your kestrel) can have them!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 pm

I've still got some starlings hanging out in my silo, you're welcome to them @baronrenfrew . They stay out of the barn, because there's dozens of wrens and little grey birds that harry them. You can have them too if you like. In the top of the hill is a crows nest, they raise babies every year. You can't have them though, they drive hawks away.

Return to “Around the Waterer”