Mid- life crisis

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Mid- life crisis

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 am

Tom you got that soooo right. You just never know when something is going to turn up to change "The Plan".
Go do it folks!
Oh BTW DH turns 65 this year and me next. We celebrated the end of my treatments in November by putting in an order for fruit trees.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 am

Treerooted roflmbo

Skinnyroo, Tom we really need to get together for a beer (unless a hot toddy is better for my cold)
KB, WWW I need to drop in for a cup of tea

The rest of you, we'll see you at the next barbecue

So far I've planted some pine trees and cleaned up the mess of dead trees through the forest. Fruit trees and nut trees are next as well as a bunch of construction projects.

The bottom line for me is GIT R DONE
(i am guilty of spending more time thinking of doing things than doing them)
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 am

I thought 45 was the new 30 ? ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

No OC 65!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 am

I like what you said, Tom.
My hubby and I are now living our original life plan since we took early retirement - on a piece of property with a small farm. (Way) Back when we were looking for our first house, we could not afford to live in the country. So, after being the king and queen of "make do" and DIY to save-save-save, with me at home with our children, I went back to work at 40; paid for our kids' education; and married off our daughter. And here we are! We have our vegetable garden, chickens, 2 cattle, turkeys in the freezer, and looking forward to eventually getting a couple of goats and some rabbits. And looking forward to grandchildren. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Following along the lines of you never know what life will throw at you is this story from work. When I turned 50, there was a group of us at work who all turned 50 within weeks of each other. We sometimes had group moaning sessions about getting older. One of my friends was told that he could no longer play baseball because a shoulder injury would never heal now at his age. He was pretty upset by this until the doctors later told him that his seventeen year old daughter has stage two cancer and they need to get her in for treatment immediately. Baseball and turning 50 is not on his radar anymore!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am

kenya wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:52 am
Boys and their toys! LOL
I was thinking that I never bought a big boy toy.... but I have to admit the drone I bought at Christmas was for me! I'm my own Santa Claus now, one day I was looking at the drones and was thinking how cool it would be to have one. I was driving home from Christmas shopping and suddenly the little voice in the back of my mind said "well why don't you get one, what is stopping you"? A few days later I went back and got one lol. I sometimes think about getting a second hand ATV since that would also be practical on the farm, especially now since I didn't notice how low the front end of my car was until after I bought it.

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

KimChick wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 am

My hubby and I are now living our original life plan since we took early retirement - on a piece of property with a small farm. (Way) Back when we were looking for our first house, we could not afford to live in the country. So, after being the king and queen of "make do" and DIY to save-save-save, with me at home with our children, I went back to work at 40; paid for our kids' education; and married off our daughter. And here we are! We have our vegetable garden, chickens, 2 cattle, turkeys in the freezer, and looking forward to eventually getting a couple of goats and some rabbits. And looking forward to grandchildren. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Same story here, new to the County, but I am so glad we took the plunge. It sucks that we got held up in the house build, but heck it will only make me appreciate it all the more when the house is done. I am one of the lucky ones, I wake up happy every day and look forward to whatever it may hold. Got my health, kids are great, and hubby treats me like gold...I don't take it for granted, at all.
Some hard work, but also some dumb luck got us here. An unexpected disaster could have derailed the plan but we made it and glad to find others like minded.
Love your story...love it!!!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Oh and....
Since we moved here, I have been baking bread and have done a lot of pickling, preserving, and freezing vegetables from the garden. We purchased a pressure canner for vegetables because we were running out of freezer space. It was a great investment! Within the next week or two, I have to start preserving my pie pumpkins and squash.

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm

I use an All American Pressure Canner...best money I ever spent. I did up quarts and quarts of cubed pumpkin mainly because I fed it to the dogs and I did not have freezer space. It lasted well and I used it for muffins and soup etc. I love the pressure canner! And for years I was so afraid to use one, because my Granny used to tell a story about canning when my mum was wee and she blew a hole in the kitchen ceiling when the canner exploded. Fortuitously, technological has come a long way and likely the fail safes now installed in these canners would make that nearly impossible to do that. But when I started to use a pressure canner of my own, my Mum was frantic that I would kill myself. Ya gotta love your mother...no matter how old I get, she is still Mum! Still worries! :hands:

Return to “Around the Waterer”