Mid- life crisis

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Mid- life crisis

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm

So tomorrow is my birthday (age 45). (Happy Birthday? , yes thank you in advance, I thank my mom, she did everything I just showed up.)

So I can't contemplate that I am now much closer to retirement than I am to high school (married 21 years! Wow! It feels like 5!)

And I better start my "life's work" so that future generations know I was here (gotta plant more trees).

I got my toy (snowmobile) so I don't need a Harley.

Any thoughts? Stories? What did you folk do?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Mid- life crisis

Post by kenya » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:52 am

Boys and their toys! LOL

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 am

How bout you buy a "Mid Life Chrysler" a new Charger or a classic one . Luck man . I personally did nothing . To busy paying bills & workin . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 am

happy birthday! no midlife crisis here....haven't had time, and i'm a year older than you! (to the day! lol). i think 40 for me was worse....not sure quite how i feel about 50 yet, but i'm not there YET, so not going to worry about it!
Like you it feels like time is just flying by! Just hope i'm not wasting my life doing what i'm doing-i know my work is not wasting my time LOL. i just don't want to simply "exist"....want to do something too while i'm here. :-)
oh, and only closer to retirement if the good ol' gov doesn't change the retirement date again.....and again....remember, we get to work until we're 67 now......
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Sometimes at work people ask me if I'm 40 yet, some think I'm around 43 ish and that is a good feeling. However I hit the bad number in the fall of 2016, I turned fffffff fffffi ffffiffff-tea! I can joke about it now but yes I hit 50.... over a year ago. At the time I didn't take it so well, I was dealing with a parent with Alzheimer's, my work was a long drive to and back, the farm is rented but everyone knows there are always things to be done and I had the birds, so it's not like I had nothing to do. I felt like a door slammed shut on me and suddenly I am entering my final stages of life, to be honest I got really down, it is actually the main reason I sold off everything last year. Really there is nothing you can do except realize that thinking about it too much has no benefit and so I try to stay away from thinking about getting older. Baron you already have me beat hands down, you have someone to share life with, you are not alone. I guess I am trying to say it's normal to start noticing that time is moving on, it can eat at you and that it is something to fight against.

I love to tell this story about turning 40. On my birthday my sister and some friends took me out to a club for my 40th birthday, I will brag and say that I looked really young for my age at the time. I was stopped at the door and asked for proof of age (I love telling that part) even though I was older than some of my friends, only I was asked. Feeling pretty proud of myself, the bouncer looked at my license then back at me and said, "oh I'm sorry sir, I didn't notice all the wrinkles around your eyes". :shock:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Lol Skinny I'm starting to think you should also write a book.
Well I turn 50 next month. To be honest I'm kinda proud of it. I have my mom to thank for good genes. Still have my natural hair colour and greys are few and far between. Old is a number that simply keeps moving away from you Baron. I kind of think that because I didn't have kids of my own I didn't really grow up. I've also always worked with a lot of younger people and that truly does keep you young at heart. Life is too short to worry about how short it is ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Age is nothin if yu have your health . If yu don't it's a lot . Luck to all you kids . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, I always wanted to become a medical doctor, but chose family over career again and again. No regrets, but when my one boy got married, and my youngest was making some money illustrating and animating, I really started to hear the clock tick. Very loudly. I decided to go back to school, but wisely didn't jump in headfirst--I wasn't sure if I was smart enough or just SMRT, and it had been many years since I'd had to crack a book. I took some distance courses to see if I could hack the academics, and to get back into the groove. I did great on some, passable on others, but quickly discovered bills would mount fast if I had to choose between a job and school, and that I did NOT want to spend the next 20 years paying off a super massive student loan debt.
Once that epiphany happened, the clock wisely faded to the background. University is comfortably on a shelf beside other 'when I win the lottery' dreams, and I'm ok with that. For now ;)

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Happy Birthday @baronrenfrew ! :HappyDance: I hope you had a good one

What's the window for mid-life crises? 40-60?

If 30 is the new 20, maybe 40 is the new 30, so 45 is the new 35. So you're fine. Give it a few more years.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am

Well Bert, I certainly hope your bday is/was a good one...party hearty and all that...this whole thing about mid life crisis has me thinking...it comes up as a topic of conversation every once in a while. i think that the problem is that people get bogged down in life...marriage, kids, mortgage, bills etc....and along the way forget to do stuff...and i don't mean take a holiday, or go shopping or take the kids to the ski hills on the weekend kinda stuff, but rather accomplish something that they have always wanted to do...and along comes a milestone birthday and they start to think about the ticking clock of life and start to worry ... Since we never know when our time is up, that sense of hopelessness at getting to those dreams is accentuated...I am older than you by quite a bit (I actually got the forms in the mail to apply for CPP last month) and I was visiting my folks and got into a conversation with my dad about apple cider of all things, lol....long story short, I told him I was in the process of building an apple press for this seasons crop and he looked at me like I had lost my mind yet again...asked me why...I said, I had always wanted to have one and press my own cider and as I have a zillion productive wild apple trees here on my land, why not?...if i don't do it who will...just DO IT... I have always said that I didn't want to end my days being asked by St Peter at the pearly gates what I had done with my life and merely managed to shrug my shoulders and mumble "not much"...or worse yet, "watched a lot of hockey games waiting for the Leafs to win the cup".... DO IT!!!.... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”