Spring Plans

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Spring Plans

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Oh gosh no! Sister is the Warden, she certainly tells Frank who is the boss!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am
Nothing to do when you are sitting by the woodstove but dream of spring. Then the boss pipes up "I'm in a new church, I need chicks for Easter!"

What?! I don't want chicks that early! Easter is April 1st? Valentine's day is ash Wednesday?

I have enough lined up next year (d'oh! This year!), and it will include less chickens! (Hmmm...I've said that before...)

Gotta fix (replace?) the roof and septic, plant trees, build fences, expand the garden, build a new coop, build chicken tractors, extend the forest road across two creeks (build bridges or culvert?), and I need a real tractor shed (and a garage would be helpful). Better woodshed, fix basement door, house windows etc. Etc. Etc.

:gaah: :farmer:
I vote for an April fool's joke too. Asking you to hatch chicks you don't need/want, for a Pagan fertility holiday in a Christian Church...just REEKS of a prank of some sort :pop:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Ah but what a lovely prank, who doesn't love chicks.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 pm

What? How dare you question the validity of Easter, especially after Christmas!

(So what of Christmas lines up with the winter solstice as celebrated by northern people's (vikings) by hanging up holly and kissing underneath (you are supposed to do more than kiss) and dragging greenery indoors including a green tree (that should be hung upside down so it doesn't take root and grow)). Not to mention a feast of a meal. Or that the vikings celebrated three days after the shortest day to make sure they weren't fooled by bad weather.

As per the bible the shepherds were in their fields by night (which they never are in December as its cold and dry with no grass growing: May or June is more likely)
And the three wise men (which actually showed up a year later) brought gifts.
Or that the child was born by the "virgin" Mary (the definition of virgin being a woman who never had a child).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm

I think the original Hebrew says "young woman".
SO let's chat about the Mayday Festivals. All the young unmatched men and women were allowed to go off into the fields together at this fertility festival. Back then you didn't want to marry a sterile woman because all you had were your children to help you work the land and take care of you when sick or old. SO it was better that your mate was pregnant when you married them.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:11 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 pm
What? How dare you question the validity of Easter, especially after Christmas!

(So what of Christmas lines up with the winter solstice as celebrated by northern people's (vikings) by hanging up holly and kissing underneath (you are supposed to do more than kiss) and dragging greenery indoors including a green tree (that should be hung upside down so it doesn't take root and grow)). Not to mention a feast of a meal. Or that the vikings celebrated three days after the shortest day to make sure they weren't fooled by bad weather.

As per the bible the shepherds were in their fields by night (which they never are in December as its cold and dry with no grass growing: May or June is more likely)
And the three wise men (which actually showed up a year later) brought gifts.
Or that the child was born by the "virgin" Mary (the definition of virgin being a woman who never had a child).
roflmbo
Oh, I could go on and on about those very things. Or, I could; if I didn't mind offending EVERYBODY, everywhere. My filters are limited in scope and function.
So anyway, I say, hatch away! I will buy some of those extra babies, because I bet they will make me giggle every time I see them :D

Return to “Around the Waterer”