Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:15 pm

i think i caught his really early it was only dime sized and about a half inch deep....but just how many maggots can be in a spot that small? MANY....gah!!!
i need to go and find him....its so hot most are hiding under the coop or in the tree. except the turkey who is sitting on the roof of my truck. bad turkey!!!

okay...update....i had a very hard time catching him and finally had to bribe him with a piece of watermelon and then stalk him while he was busy eating lol. hes doing just fine. everything looks good and dry and way better than before and poking around i didnt see or feel anything. phew. hopefulyy he wil be okay. of course i put the fly spray on his butt again...just in case. looks like this weekend i will be cleaning coops. just in case those flies are in there too.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 pm

It’s a very common problem in wool sheep and one of the main reasons they dock the tails. In Australia the cut a patch of skin out around the but end of lambs to help prevent it especially in Merino sheep that have very folded skin that gets soiled and wet. It’s a very controversial procedure as you can imagine. It’s called mulesing.

I hope he’s better and those damn flies go soon!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:45 am

Exciting day. DH has left for Meaford to pick up my new Tom and drop off birds along the way. Didn't sleep well last night. Also stopping at LOLK paddles to pick up our new custom canoe paddles. Got the last ones in 1991 from them and decided it was time for a new set.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 am

New paddles, did you wear out the old ones? ;)
And a new Tom, it sounds very exciting, I bet the girls are going to be all a twitter when you finally let them see him.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:56 am

They are very excited, some of these girls are still yipping away for a good boy! I wondered how it would go ,taking some of the 5 week olds from the Mums last night but they seemed to be "Oh please, take them! It's fine with us." They still have plenty to keep them occupied.
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Nice KB new paddles .🛶Canoe should go faster now . I’ve seen people using double kayak paddles when paddling single in canoe , move right along . Donna & I are looking at a pr of these water lazy boy chairs for next year . Lots of small impound ponds close by including also dam at Parkhill good size & 2 farm ponds across road in bush full of pan fish good eating plus river close by . .
Attachments
96A88CF6-744A-44E3-BF9A-CD63DDC09D60.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Just a friendly reminder that we are again accepting pictures for the pic of the month contest until Sep 15th. Unless you have done so already, submit your picture with caption here: viewforum.php?f=94
:cow:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Day 21. Miranda is still sitting on three eggs. She kicked four out a week or so ago, and the ones I found were definitely not viable to begin with. Smart girl. I am trying not to be anxious, since I've read you here saying you've had hatchatches up to day 24. So, thumb twiddling, waiting.
One good thing about Miranda being isolated is that Mercedes has needed to be more sociable. Otherwise the two Wyandottes tend to be a bit stand-offish and do their own thing. She's been hanging closer to the ducks and Polish. She's the mean girl of the flock, though. I caught her full-tilt chasing one of those ducks for no reason but to bite her on the bum.
The ducks seem to have synchronized their cycles, and all three laid an egg this morning in the nest they've made in the corner of their house. Such good girls. Such a pretty aqua egg. So filthy, so I have to wash them before I bring them in, so I eat them first. So delicious!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 am
New paddles, did you wear out the old ones? ;)
And a new Tom, it sounds very exciting, I bet the girls are going to be all a twitter when you finally let them see him.
Funnily enough we did wear about 1" off the bottom of the blades of the old ones between rocks, muskeg and refinishing. I can't imagine trying to paddle without good paddles, totally spoilt here.
Here is a pic of the new guy. He doesn't have a name yet but the ladies are behaving like silly school girls. Mums are trying to explain to the poults who the new "Uncle" is!
New Boy.jpg
Mutt chickens for eggs

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:48 am

Looks like snow is in the forecast for Thursday. And it is only the beginning of September...I hope this is just a bump in the weather.
Much too early to start. But, man is it cold in the mornings.
So happy I spent the weekend sorting birds.
Some are staying, some culled and some are going to a sale this weekend 12 hrs away.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Return to “Around the Waterer”