General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

SusanH wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 pm
The bees? I saw today were iridescent green.
We have green sand wasps here. They come flying as soon as we dig in the sand. Then they try to get in the ears. Really annoying, but we have never been stung.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Looking for picture of the month entries until Sunday night July 16th. We start voting on Monday!
Submit your entry with caption here:
viewforum.php?f=94
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am

poultry_admin wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm
SusanH wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 pm
The bees? I saw today were iridescent green.
We have green sand wasps here. They come flying as soon as we dig in the sand. Then they try to get in the ears. Really annoying, but we have never been stung.
Ugh glad it's not those. I've been googling all night trying to find something that plugs its nest with grass. It's hard enough to find Id pics of bees let alone what their nests look like. There is a whole industry around raising native bees. I had no idea! Apparently my bamboo tube house from Costco is not what people in the know would use. But everyone has to start somewhere. If my husband were still alive, I would put a better bee house on my Christmas list. Maybe the one from Crown Bees? Sigh. He used to put gifts under the tree from the dogs and cats and chickens since of course we are past believing in Santa...

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

I wonder if they are the leaf cutter bees we see here. I first noticed them when we left some IKEA shelving on our back porch that has drilled holes in them for the pins to hold the shelves...they were all filled with neatly cut leaves! On closer inspection it was small solitary bees doing it.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/MIS ... id_bee.htm
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/mis ... d_bees.htm we have tons of the sweat bees around my place...and they build in long tubes and lay their eggs.
the wasps my hubby mentioned (sand wasps) are greeny yellow and the size of a yellow jacket (and MUCH nicer....)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 am

Yes we watched some carefully making burrows and collecting caterpillars to put in them. Fascinating.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am

My hose nozzle wouldn't work in the spring. Turned out that it was completely filled up with tiny brown leafy bits - obviously from some little bee-type who probably did it last year.

Linda

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Brebis wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am
I wonder if they are the leaf cutter bees we see here. I first noticed them when we left some IKEA shelving on our back porch that has drilled holes in them for the pins to hold the shelves...they were all filled with neatly cut leaves! On closer inspection it was small solitary bees doing it.
I have those same IKEA shelves - since university, that is, a very long time. Indestructible. Yes at least one is a leaf cutter. See the green plug in the 2nd pic. The three (one new today) in the 1st pic withe the tufts of dry grass show a different technique. I can't believe a bee could do that. What do you think?
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Oh neat!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 am

i want one. or two.
lol. we have some that build around the base of my fence posts, and on any vertical surface. mud daubers build huge long mud tubes on the walls of the shop and pieces of plywood etc....don't like those, they sting and are territorial so i tear them down because i'm a big meanie....the sand wasps i'll be in the garden and one will dig a burrow near me, and i swear they dig more efficiently than any dog i have ever known! it's pretty neat....glad there are some bees....i am thinking about getting a hive next year and putting it close to the garden. (or maybe in it)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”