Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:56 am

@WLLady
I do believe i know what has become of my one cat that has been missing for 9 days now though.....she wouldn't stand a chance against a fox or coyote....

Kathy. Don’t give up hope yet on your cat
I thought mine was gone for the same reason
Although she is a barn cat
But she was gone for 6 weeks and returned home perfectly fine, a bit hungry but not overly

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am

I hope everyone is ok after the tornado's yesterday afternoon. I have friends in Dunrobin and Gatineau, and a tornado struck down in both places! We got away with just some high winds.

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 am

Yes, we just got high winds and lots of rain - and of course a power outage. Lots of debris in the yard, but no damage to trees or anything else as far as I can tell. Dunrobin and Gatineau did get hit pretty hard. Do you know if your friends had any property damage, @labradors ?
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:23 am

labradors wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am
I hope everyone is ok after the tornado's yesterday afternoon. I have friends in Dunrobin and Gatineau, and a tornado struck down in both places! We got away with just some high winds.

Linda
I'm so glad I was off work yesterday, I could have been going home in that! They are saying this morning that it was at least an F3 and possibly an F4, it tracked for 40km, lots of homes destroyed, people critically injured but luckily no one killed. Also there were micro bursts which can be powerful and some reports of smaller tornadoes in out lying areas on the Quebec side. Here we went from 10 degrees Celsius with no humidity to 26 degrees Celsius with high humidity in about two hours and back down to 6 degrees Celsius, I knew something bad was going to happen.

Are you alright OC? I believe you would be the closest to the destruction.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 pm

i hope everyone is okay!!!! @windwalkingwolf @Ontario Chick @TomK and everyone else let us know you are okay....

my cat magically showed up.this morning. i swear she looks brushed. i think she has an "alternate household". she was super hungry though....ate a while bowl of kibble.....no fox sightings for 2 days now....maybe scared it....somehow i doubt that and its just being sneaky. my 10-15 pound pumpkins (or so the seed package said) are pushing 30-45 pounds. what the heck am i going to do with that much pumpkin!!!!??? thinking dh could build a launcher and it would be spectacular.....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm

OC, Killerbunny, and WWW may have had power outages and not have power back yet.
Glad you're okay, @Skinny rooster .
Happy to hear that your cat came back, @WLLady . :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm

We're very much OK here. Got off very lightly, I swear we live in a weather bubble. It stayed warm even through the high winds, and, outside watching the clouds, travelling south to north, you could see them swing wide around us to the west and northwest on one side and east north east on the other. Some stuff blown about, but no damage here, thankfully, not even any trees. Power flickered off several times, but never went down for more than a few seconds. So fortunate...some people's homes were shredded like matchsticks. Arlington woods is no longer "woods", it's now more like "Arlington Lone Pine", definitely some landscape changes where the funnels touched down. I know three people in Dunrobin, and all thankfully are ok and still have a home to go to, although an army friend lost his car when not one but two trees fell on it.
Some of you may know Autumn Alberelli, she and her family are thankfully ok.
A major transformer station on Merivale is down, and so buried in debris that they haven't been able to assess the damage yet...it supplies power from Hydro One to Hydro Ottawa, about 40 % of the entire city's power and it's expected to take several days at least to get it online again.
Volunteers are not being allowed into the area, as they already have lots, and roads are choked with people trying to stock up on food, water, gasoline etc.
My thoughts are with the critically injured and the displaced. After having their homes explode around them, I'm not sure they would agree that this could have been much worse.
Hope Hana is ok :hands: Have not heard from her yet.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:21 pm

We're good here, not heard from Hana.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:27 pm

OC is good just got her power back.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 pm

MJ and I were in Kemptville yesterday at the height of the storm going thru...in that community the winds were high and wicked gusty and it rained hard, like really hard...it didnt last long but came in three waves about a half hour apart..we were there for the annual family piknik at her school...of course it was all taken indoors and it went well...we were concerned about our daughters, all in Ottawa...our acquired one was asked by the authorities to leave, she is in Nepean, as they lost most of the trees on her street and only minor wind damage to shingle roofs and such but the streets became impassable, she and her hubby and daughter left to stay with the inlaws and they have no power..ugh...my youngest was on her own as her partner was away in Toronto and she merely lost all power so she headed over to my eldest daughter's place in Stittsville which had no issues...the fourth is in Arnprior and they just got wind....down our way it wasn't bad...just gusty winds shaking trees and loosening a lot of debris from the trees and breaking really weak stuff off older mature maples and such but not much else...i am off grid so the power issue is a non starter, no pun intended...so its all just fine here..feeling blessed and thinking on how to help those that lost so much in a heartbeat...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”