Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 am

As rodents, they reproduce quite well, and I highly doubt they are protected. We only have the black squirrels here where I am now. Out west, it was only red squirrels, out in the boreal forest. The only black squirrels were in Calgary and Edmonton where they had been imported from the east as pets then turned loose. They take over from the reds in town, but don't make it very well in the wild there. On the trap lines, the reds are a major target, only a few dollars a pelt, but many available, so they sort of form the base income for a lot of trappers, though a coyote or fox or lynx is worth quite a bit more.

One of my favorite memories as a kid is wandering the bush on a bright day in early March and hearing a red squirrel chattering and going to find it high above on a limb eating a pine cone in the sun. Probably see a porcupine and a wabbit and a rough grouse those days too. You knew spring was just around the corner.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:57 am

I've got a lone red squirrel living in my apple tree in the front yard. He has a big nest built up there and I know it's lined with the stuffing from my patio pillow that suddenly deflated in late summer lol. I think he's pretty entertaining to watch so he's welcome to it. He drags a found cob of corn across the road and up onto the deck every few days and I throw a leftover bread crust out every now and then. It's a symbiotic relationship. He keeps the hordes of Chipmunks away from my front yard in summer and he chases off every black or grey squirrel that ventures up from the ravine.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 am

Good morning nice and sunny but cold, just having a quick stop for fuel as I head to Allison to pick up some turkeys on my poultry road trip. 10 hour round trip.

In Ontario red squirrels are not “protected” species they are classified as a fur bearer, similar to beavers... so no hunting season but a licenced trapper can trap them or if they are damaging your property you can kill them. Unless the rules have changed. Black/grey squirrels are a game animal with a hunting season.

Well time to get back on the road.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 am

Bush Tigers!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:16 am

Bush Tigers chasing Tree Rats .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:46 am

Good morning, happy travels Jim,
Bright and crisp here this morning, 3 Black and 2 small red squirrels hanging upside down on my excellent feeder version 2.0
didn't take them too long to get by the lid and apparently eating upside down doesn't bother their digestive system.
luckily they spent more time chasing each other then colonizing the feeder, so plenty of time for the birds the get their fill, and plenty of spill on the ground for the rest.
Mourning doves and red squirels.jpg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:38 pm

We feed lots a grey/black & fox squirrels here but no red ones . Had a few a couple a years back but think the feral cats or sharpshin hawks got um .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Well...i survived...I don't really know why we do this to ourselves yet we do, every year..it ia wonderful of course, great food, good friends, and most importantly, family...love 'em or hate ' 'em we need them to be there...its the prep time and effort that drains me..and it seems to be over in a flash...a bacchanalian burst of activity which might be better suited to a four day feast but we squish it into basically a half day...oh well...it was grand and I will readily do it again next time...but right now, I need a nap..
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am

Well feels a bit like spring here with the rain and warm temps and even more so since we got a 2019 Murray McMurray catalogue in the mail today....
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:33 am

Nightmare outside around the birds (and elsewhere). Ice everywhere!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”