Post by ross » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:42 pm

What’s a Brome Lake duck ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:37 pm

RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Lovely present in the coops today, one green and one olive egg so that means I have 3 hens coming back into lay! WooHoo!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:53 pm

ross wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:42 pm
What’s a Brome Lake duck ?
Company in Quebec that has been raising ducks since 1912, next to our home raised, best ducks I have ever eaten.
They had a fire few yers back, and it took a while to bring up the production, so at some point I bought a duck from other producer, what a mistake.
The Brome lake duck tastes as close to the home grown as you can get.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:11 am

Good morning. I have so much to do, I really shouldn't be on the computer... but I must finish my second coffee. Just got in from the barn.

This morning, I wanted to make shortbread. Not just the flour and butter kind, must be scotch shortbread, with fruit sugar and rice flour. But I didn't get any of that when I was in town, because I am simple. I can believe it. Ugh.

Melissa may be going to town to some pet store... they have a dog washing station at the back, and for $10 you can wash your dog in their big tub (its up high so you don't have to bend over), use their soap..... brushes... blow dryer. A neat set up. She may get it for me, but it won't be soon, and I wanted to make it now. Oh well. I can always clean the bathroom for fun.

Tonight will be most of the work. Take last years turkey out of the fridge (its been in there 4 days), and put it in a pail to brine. A 5 gallon pail that is food grade... don't like so much salt used in a cheap plastic tub.... and it should fit. Only 13 pounds. That with a 10 pound ham better feed 15 adults. Theres 8 kids too, but other than the 13 and 10 year old, the rest are all under 7. They don't really even eat, lol. Just pick.

Then I will make the dressing later on in the evening, and stuff it in the morning. We are eating at 2. The ham will go into the crock pot about 3am. Damn thing takes forever to heat up, especially when the ham is ice cold. Any time today, I will make the 'make ahead potatoes with the sour cream and cream cheese. That will be reheated in the farmhouse oven, while I am preparing to take down the meat. Gravy will be made at this time. I'm still 'doing' christmas dinner.... well, the mains... while everyone else brings everything else. Rolls, punch, squash, desserts.

Tonight, I also have to throw together a big strata for a huge breakfast at Dave and Jess's place. Its so good, throw it in the fridge and bake it while I am in the barn in the morning. I suppose I can cut peppers and mushrooms and onions for that anytime. And cut the bread for both that and the dressing. ALSO tonight, is an open house at our niece's next door... have to make an appetizer for that... and go for 8pm.

WONDER IF I'VE FORGOTTEN ANYTHING YET????.

As for Gary's jobs? He washed the dog last night. Other than that, Christmas just happens.

I didn't even get a tree this year. Just too tired... can't be bothered.... NO carpet in the house, but nice ash hardwood floors mean I see every single dog foot print, lick.... hair.... blowing wads of it.... and the dorks who think they can come into my house with their shoes/boots on. W T F !!!!!!!

I'm REALLY trying to keep this SMALL house clean... no clutter... and paper... and for the most part I AM succeeding... but my back room which was a disaster in the old house.... is looking much like my back room here now. A catch-all for stuff. With ALL the stuff I used to have in the old one. Cat/dog food. Litter. Cow stuff. Pantry stuff. Laundry (which had its own room in the farmhouse), office (which I had a room for in the farm house).. well, I suppose you all know what I am getting at.

I have 2 BIG windows in this house, which is nice, because you can actually see outside when you sit down! Not like the farmhouse. I feed the birds, and can sit and enjoy them. Watch the hawks scatter them. Go rescue the ones that hit those nice big windows... and survive it. I have things hanging in the windows... but when you are frenzied.. you just scatter and don't watch where your going I guess.

I'd like to shoot all the squirrels out there. Every one.

Well, I guess I'd better go, my coffee is done. Hope everyones holidays are great!! I want to go see WLLady and Admin... and I guess I will have to really try and get excited, and go to Paisley to see my parents. Best part of that would be the drive up and back. I know, I'm such a b.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:37 am

Good Morning and Merry Christmas to everyone. Still wrapping presents here, well my wife i I am just wasting time on the computer and not being much help. lol. I am picking my presents up on Dec 27th my black turkeys I was suppose to get last week.

Hopefully everyone has a great day with family and friends. My in-laws are hosting dinner, so easy day for us, then heading to visit my family near London for the weekend.

I hope Santa is good to everyone.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:46 am

Have a good one everybody. Just getting out the rendered beef fat crispies out for the Chickies present!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:29 am

Good morning, nice sunny and crisp with a fresh dusting of snow.
Too bad the snow wasn't sticky, yesterday, was hoping to build a snow man for grandson, even bought two Figs for eyes, since lumps of coal seem to be in short supply.
To everybody's delight (accept mine) we saw a fox on the creek during the "nature walk", which is compulsory after lunch and before presents. :-)
Family gathering over, lovely piles of boiled potato peelings from buckets of potato salad, special treat for chickens.
2 sons 1 grandson & dog
Allan Adrian Vic & Chance.jpg

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

talk about squirrels - there's been three reds emptying my mothers bird feeder.
well, they had a bad day today and my nephews got practice with the 12 guage. yes its overkill but the boys have a Christmas to remember and my mom won't swear out the window anymore.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:37 pm

I thought the red squirrels were a protected species

Return to “Around the Waterer”