Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 am

Good morning,
Slowly giving up watering far corners of garden, down to veg garden only, just in case this weather continues must save water for animals and people.
Have been postponing moving chicks from brooder to the floor pen, at 5 weeks they should be OK without heat lamp, but it was down to 14C last night, so maybe 2 extra days. Some VERY interesting development on the Black chicks, I may have come up with a "negative" Columbian :lol:
Creek is slowly shrinking, the water looks thick with weeds and frogs are jumping around on the surface, pretty sure that's not a good sign.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 am
Good morning,
Some VERY interesting development on the Black chicks, I may have come up with a "negative" Columbian :lol:
Must...see...pictures... No, wait, don't show me. Wait, yes, I have to see. No, I don't need anymore project ideas. But oh the possibilities... :pop: roflmbo

:gaah:
I have decided that PTO is an evil place and promotes horrible things like addiction, covetousness and even sloth. Now that I have a crowing hen, I'm probably officially going to he77.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:53 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 am
i want one. or two.
lol. we have some that build around the base of my fence posts, and on any vertical surface. mud daubers build huge long mud tubes on the walls of the shop and pieces of plywood etc....don't like those, they sting and are territorial so i tear them down because i'm a big meanie....the sand wasps i'll be in the garden and one will dig a burrow near me, and i swear they dig more efficiently than any dog i have ever known! it's pretty neat....glad there are some bees....i am thinking about getting a hive next year and putting it close to the garden. (or maybe in it)
Lee valley sells a good inexpensive pollen bee house you could put in the garden. Apparent the native bees like mason bees and leaf cutters are better pollinators than honey bees. I'm in!
Something tells me you'd better not visit the crown bees website, ok WLLady? Promise? You will not be able to stop yourself from making bee habitats. Besides, these don't sting. I am writing this from the allergy clinic. Turns out I am severely allergic to wasps and hornets and Yellowjackets (but not honeybees), which I found out the hard way with anaphylaxis and ambulance ride with sirens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Oh no Susan H! How very scary! Glad you are ok :) Guess you will need to carry an epi-pen around with you now just in case.....

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Oh no @SusanH ! I guess there’s only one way to find that out! Lol. Glad you’re ok.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Yeah, I have to carry an epi-pen. The anaphylaxis was over a year ago, so I'm fine, thanks. It just takes a long time to get treated at the allergy clinic. I started 2weeks ago. Every two weeks, shots of diluted venom to desensitize, like King Mithridates.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 pm

bayvistafarm gets those shots for honeybees. saved her life last year. wish they had that for peanuts.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm
he77.
You mean HELL? We never actually :sSig_censored: that one :rubbingchin:

roflmbo

Don't give me any ideas!

Thanks for the compliments!

:twisted:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am

Snagged an egg from each of the 2 broody turkeys when they popped off yesterday and good news, each has at least one fertile egg. I'll check others when they're further on and I'm feeling brave. Thank goodness these ladies are so tolerant.
Now one of the youngsters is looking like she wants to go but I'm discouraging her in this heat.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

I have stopped counting the broodies, the nest boxes seem to be fully occupied at all times, you woul think they would give it up in this heat.
First tomatoes out of the garden yesterday.. havenly

Return to “Around the Waterer”