Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am

Morning!
Make sure you have submitted your August picture of the month by tonight!
We have lots of spots available:
Progress: Submissions
30%
Submit here:
viewforum.php?f=94
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am

Bee update. In the pic I posted, did you see the two cells that were sealed with some waxy beige material? Those tubes are empty now, meaning the new bees have emerged. I am perplexed. Supposedly the cycle is: eggs laid with pollen and nectar supply, larvae hatch, eat the food and then pupate. They are supposed to overwinter in their cocoons and emerge in spring. So it's weird they chewed their way out in July.
I have two more tubes plugged with tufts of grass. Maybe they are masons but it's too hot and dry for mud? They are all different sizes. Usually bees choose tubes that fit the size of their bodies. I am enjoying this mystery.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

Good morning,
Spent and exciting morning yesterday moving chicks from brooder to the pen, happy campers took flight immediately :)
Rest of the day installing Gila Heat control window film, sign I am bowing to the gods of crazy weather, wish I had started with something smaller then patio doors, since I knew this would require 100% concentration, send DH canoeing with son #1, hard not to think I got the short end of the stick. ;)
Hosta blooms full of bumblebees, the whole place is buzzing with excitement.
Have a cool one !

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am

Sorry that you got stuck at home while the others were out having fun :(. The window film sounds like a great idea - except that I sometimes want to grow seedlings in the window in the spring time. Does the film come off?

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm

in some of the things i was reading about solitary bees there are some that have 1-3 generations a summer....oh and i have 2 houses things arriving tomorrow...ha ha

bricklaying at 35c is not fun. i can honestly say that.
and tonight i need to move birds around. and clean a pen. but the ac in the house is nice....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 pm

labradors wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am
Sorry that you got stuck at home while the others were out having fun :(. The window film sounds like a great idea - except that I sometimes want to grow seedlings in the window in the spring time. Does the film come off?

Linda
I hope not, it was way too hard to put it up, supposed to last several years, not anything you would want to remove on regular bases.
I must say, so far I am impressed the tile floor didn't heat up at all when the sun hit, although the glass was pretty hot, hope it doesn't explode the windows.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am

morning all! well, the construction on the house should be finished this afternoon! YAY! so this weekend we started on putting the yard back together, collecting the bits and pieces of wreckage, and cleaning up the paddock around the house...and the had to relevel the patio and walkway (they drove a scissor lift over it without putting ply down first, so they caved in about 4 rows and broke a pile of stone....). so i pulled those bricks and relevelled it and put the brick back in, and moved out all the broken brick and yesterday we started to rebuild the stone stairs to the house. still have to finish those. then i'm thinking about a truck of topsoil for the garden that got torn out from around the house, and tilling that in, before replanting up there. alas i missed the fall sale on the bulbs from veseys, so hopefully they'll have another last minute thing....will fill the garden with lilies and daylilies and daffodils and tulips i think. i did lift lots of them and put them in the garden, and some did manage to survive the fire apparently, but i won't transplant them again until next year. they've been through a lot this year. my watermelons have TONS of flowers! and my summer squash are just starting to get to eating size....i'm so late with the garden this year. argh! tomatoes are still green....and i have to check the raspberries again....totally forgot on the weekend. too busy. 2 RTL off to good homes. been a strange year, 70% boys. AGAIN. argh! we just moved it had to be 45 boys out to the grow out coop again, and there's only about 12 girls left upstairs! obnoxious.

when i lived in california i put tin foil in the windows.....it worked amazing. down there (i was in the valley, so desert all around) in the summer vinyl blinds would melt and sag in the windows...even with AC running. it was horrid. LOL i'm glad i came back to canada.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 am

Sounds like a huge job @WLLady how is your back holding up?
I was thinking of California yesterday, how we always welcome a nice sunny day with pleasure, but after spending some time in California, I remember looking at the sunny sky and thinking "relentless", which just proves the too much of a good thing may just be too much.
Second heat wave is starting to be too much :(
Since we don't have an air-conditioning we practice defensive house cooling (i.e.. large deciduous trees, blinds on the windows etc)
but the sunroom has a lovely view which I hate to block, so the film seemed to be a possible solution, it makes the windows a bit darker, sort of like very light sunglasses, just a green/blue tinge, if this works I may get another roll and plaster it on every south facing window :)

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am

oh my goodness the work is slow and soooo slow and not so easy any more....especially working at ground level. no one really appreciates how they can "stoop" until they can't. so i alternate between working and laying flat out on my back on the floor....the ground is a long way away and my knees are in pretty bad shape from kneeling in sand all weekend. oh well. nothing some moisturizer won't cure i think. Yes, California sun was relentless. although i'm starting to feel that way here. we are going to plant trees...in the fall....but likely won't ever live to see them big enough to get any use out of them. not sure what the last owners were thinking...except likely worried about trees falling on the house or something. my blinds are still on order. won't be in until first week of august...argh! and i refuse to put up the old junky horrible ones with the new window frames. i do not want extra holes in the house now that we just got it all looking half decent! LOL.
yes, this weather can stop soon. i lost my first chicken to heat yesterday. a 5 year old marans hen. she was alive when i checked at noon and looking okay, and must have heart attacked because i found her at 2 in the afternoon beside the water dish. my old boy is looking very tired this morning too. he's 6....wouldn't be surprised if this heat does him in too. they have lots of cool water and fans and shade and well, not much else i can do.
and the humidity is killing my mare, she's having problems breathing (like asthma) in this humidity and heat....so i have the vet coming out to see her soon.....i couldn't imagine not having air at my place....this would be stifling.
the window film sounds perfect-we have it coming to be installed in the lab because we get west sun in the afternoon and it is not good for the tissue culture room (think tiny....and heats up like crazy in the sun)....like tinting for car windows is the stuff we are getting.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

I don’t have air conditioning either. Or central heat. Ive had so many people look at me like I was some kind of crazy for “living in the dark ages” lol. You learn to manage it. My house was actually chilly when I woke up this morning and I’m having the same heat and humidity that the rest are dealing with. Sometimes it’s just what you’re used to.

Return to “Around the Waterer”