Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 am

@JimW You know this is only a momentary lapse and you'll soon give your health priority again. We're behind you!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

Good Morning!
The :PTO: online show is now closed. We have 31 beautiful entries this year. There are 3 turkeys and 28 chickens. Not as many as last time, but this winter is a lot harder on molting than last time we did that...Now we wait to see how Troy is judging them :smiley-char026:

Oh, and Feb 18th is coming!! Get in your Picture of the month of MARCH submissions here: viewforum.php?f=94
We'll vote starting on the 19th.

Happy Monday!!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I think we should have a weirdest egg contest
Why????...... because I got another one this morning
Picture of each side
1D2E5690-EFDC-40F9-B580-9C04304929A2.jpeg
BF6F74ED-429B-446C-B59D-D16242586BBA.jpeg

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Haha cool Colleen me thinks your hen has hemmoroids . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

yikes! looks like it was laid wet and then solidified.....hopefully not a repeat occurrence.....only thing i know would make eggs like that is infectious bronchitis if it keeps on going-the hens with IB end up laying wrinkled eggs for life, every egg....hopefully yours is a one-off!

well, sunny at least today. cold again, and a little icy in places. i didn't get anything entered to the online show, nobody that was not embarrassing. maybe next time. been super busy with work and trying to get myself through all the physio and still have some energy by the end of the day to do anything....so far that has included chores and that's about it. i did get 2/3 of the upstairs hallway painted this weekend. it really really love the colour! have a couple of birds to move into correct breeding pens soon (i have a welsummer hanging out with the light brown leghorns....and i need to put a couple of barred rock girls in with the welsummers....sell the sex linked girls, and keep a couple boys to start the next generation of welbars with).

@coonhound have a question for you....what breed do you raise that lays white (or darned close), white bird, and has either a rose or cushion/rose (split) comb? one of the white eggs i got off you last year with the light brown leghorns is decidedly not a light brown leghorn LOL. she lays like anything, pretty much every day, so must have some leghorn in her....and the eggs are white, maybe with a tiny hint of brown or pink....anyways, a keeper, just curious. looks almost like a chantecler....almost, but not quite. and isn't laying brown eggs....maybe a rose comb white leghorn? whatever.

looks like it's almost time to start collecting eggs for hatching around my place. on the list this year, barred rocks, welbars (both silver and gold), light brown leghorns, welsummers, rhode island reds, and some rhodebars. my marans are stubbornly not laying, and my ameraucanas are more easter eggery with various shades of blue and green-blue, so maybe i'll try cleaning them up some....not sure. i also want to start 2 new lines of welbars....right from the beginning again. that's the barred rock x welsummer....then keep the boys and then back breed....another 6 year project LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Kathy did u say rode hard & put away wet ? Oops can I say that on open Mike . 🐂
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

hayladee
On the Roost

Post by hayladee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Three more dead hens....in the henhouse....no chewed heads or anything on these. I've sealed up all holes, I'm stumped. put out 2 live traps...caught my barn cats...SEVERAL times ...nothing unusual. If this keeps up I'LL be out of chickens in another week or so....grrrrr. Thinking about putting a game cam in the henhouse...been raining so much the past 2 days snow is gone and the snow I WAS looking to find tracks in got a crust on it before morning ...or tracks.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Maybe the Game Came will give you a clue then?
Sorry about your hens.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes I bet the only way you'll know for sure is the game cam. Sorry for your loss ,in my experience they always get my favorites.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:54 pm

@hayladee

Have you tried a rat trap in a box maybe you have a weasel, which are very hard to catch in a live trap. Weasels usually kill and don’t leave a lot of marks on the body but some times they will chew at what they killed. Or if a weasel did the killing and rats can get in rats or even other chickens will pick at the dead body.

Hope you figure out what is causing all the trouble soon.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”