Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:37 pm

I've used Bronco equine fly spray around the perimeter of my run on occasions when flies are really bad. This year I've been trying a fermented probiotic concoction that I spray inside the run and on the coop bedding. It seems to really help.
It doesn't take long to make in these temps, and all you need is brown rice, mineral water or spring water, salt and sugar. And about a week or so for the ferment to finish. And some elbow grease.
I think WWW posted something similar to the recipe I have somewhere on this forum awhile back. Or maybe it was on the now defunct PSO, not sure.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:45 pm

I have read that a ziplock baggie, half filled with water and pinned to the wall will repel flies. If you try this, please report back and let us know if it really works. People really swear by it - honest!

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Yep works for me . Has to be free hanging in the sun for reflections. My RV awning customers used to hang one on each end of awning roller when awning rolled out .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 pm

ross wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm
Yep works for me . Has to be free hanging in the sun for reflections. My RV awning customers used to hang one on each end of awning roller when awning rolled out .
Wow I've never heard of this! I don't get any direct sun in the coop but will try hanging it outside to reflect inwards? Will see what I can do! Thanks!!!

Also @Jaye would love that recipe!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Recipe for L.A.B. spray a.k.a pickle juice ;)
Lactic Acid bacteria spray

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Bloody hot!

took duchess to the vet, she had a bit of swelling and we thought it was a reaction to a bug bite. nope, hot spots! they knocked her out, shaved a few spots, and gave me a baggie of meds to use. $571 later, ( I can’t complain, they work for their $$ and have a decent staff on the job and deserve a reasonable pay), all I can think is “its time to rebuild my bird yard so its (almost) predator proof and the dog can hide from the heat”.

then I looked on kijiji for german shepherds and found a guy with descendents of Czech police dogs (and DDR border guards) and they have a lifetime replacwment guarantee for health (hips etc) and thought of the thread by Tomk and the “lack of quality” in German shepherds...yep they are harder to find but good dogs are good dogs.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 am

Saw a Doe and fawn on a trail yesterday. Seemed late in the year for a fawn to still have spots and be nursing. Big, though, I don't know anything about deer. They were unafraid. I could have reached out and petted them.
Wish me luck. I am going backcountry camping for first time tomorrow. Solo. I had booked a campsite for a friend's visit, but she came a week early. I decided hey instead of cancelling, why don't I just go myself, a la Reese Witherspoon. Trying to find some cheap gear, but might have to go with mosquito shelter and pool raft. Briefly considered tequila as a way of making the ground feel softer, but that's too heavy....maybe a yoga mat and some towels. Did you know the dollarama sells hiking poles?!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 am

Best of luck, enjoy!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 am

Good on ya :) mosquito repellent and sense of humor most important! ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Have a wonderful time SusanH! I saw that Reese Witherspoon movie too.

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”