General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 am

Here is a pic of the new guy. He doesn't have a name yet.......
I suggest " Handsome Dude" :love smiley:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Well he seems like a serious chap and he went to coop in the main coop with the ladies tonight. Pleased he seems to have settled well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am

Good looking tom there KB. What bloodline is he from?

Well looks like my list of projects to get done this Fall has taken a bit of a setback. Monday after work I was loading a brush mower I rented for the weekend on the trailer to return it. It was raining and as I walked down the trailer ramp I slipped down the ramp and rolled over on my ankle. I iced it Monday night, was not any better Tuesday morning so wide to me to the ER.... broken foot.... so now on crutches and have an Air Cast on until I see the orthopaedic surgeon next week, the chance I will need surgery is very low so hopefully that is the case. But cast and crutches will make it hard to do much. I have only been back teaching for 5 days but now I am off work for the next 2 weeks at least on doctor’s orders.

Hopefully I can get a bit mobile soon. I cannot even make it back to even see the birds let alone feed and water them, so have to depend on my 2 daughters to take care of about 80 birds and 6 rabbits (oh ya I bought some Rex rabbits).

Well off to take some pain meds and see if I can fall asleep.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 am

JimW wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am

Well looks like my list of projects to get done this Fall has taken a bit of a setback. Monday after work I was loading a brush mower I rented for the weekend on the trailer to return it. It was raining and as I walked down the trailer ramp I slipped down the ramp and rolled over on my ankle. I iced it Monday night, was not any better Tuesday morning so wide to me to the ER.... broken foot.... so now on crutches and have an Air Cast on until I see the orthopaedic surgeon next week, the chance I will need surgery is very low so hopefully that is the case. But cast and crutches will make it hard to do much. I have only been back teaching for 5 days but now I am off work for the next 2 weeks at least on doctor’s orders.

Hopefully I can get a bit mobile soon. I cannot even make it back to even see the birds let alone feed and water them, so have to depend on my 2 daughters to take care of about 80 birds and 6 rabbits (oh ya I bought some Rex rabbits).

Well off to take some pain meds and see if I can fall asleep.

JimW
Holy poop Jim!!!...what a 'wrong' way to start a new position...take it easy and watch the pain meds...good thing you have those two girls to help you out...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am

JimW wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am
JimW
He's a Guelph bird. Very different shape from my A-D Tom Stephen. Nice deep chest too. I am keeping one of Stephens sons who is looking nice right now too.
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am

Anything to get off work & do more fishing heh man . Lol
Luck bud . 🐟
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:59 am

Good morning,
That sounds like a real pain in the posterior @JimW I feel for you, life has a way to slow us down a bit sometime, hope all heals well and you will be off and running soon.
Crappy cloudy morning here, no hydro from 9-12 scheduled repairs or something, so heading out for coffee.
Have a good one!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 am

Wow, that's some bad luck, @JimW . I hope you're more comfortable and mobile soon, and that you heal up quickly.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 am

OMG @JimW , that sucks donkey unmentionables. Best wishes for speedy healing and uncomplicated recovery.
@Killerbunny , we need pictures of the new boy!

I am up to my ears in peppers, beans and, believe it or not, cucumbers. Baskets and baskets and baskets of them. Late planting combined with extended nice weather and a shortage of time means wayyyy too many slicer cucumbers. I did my best to get them all off at gherkin size, been picking every second day for over a month, but often missed a bunch. I hate to see good food go to the pigs, so I'm going to have to look up some recipes and tricks. One can only eat so many pickles.
Beans are still beaning; just starting to get some first signs of rust. Peppers are still peppering, though we had a coolish night and lost a lot of blossoms, so that's the end of the new ones now thank goodness. They were late out of the gate, but are making up for it with a bumper crop, and some are enormous...over 400 grams. I've cut up four sinks full for the freezer, and there's still a load out there, probably three times that much again. I gotta get to it, because frost will come any day now, no matter what environment canada says. None of them will get a chance to turn colour on the plants, but that's fine, I like them any which way. Hot peppers didn't fare so well, only two jalapeno plants, and the Hungarian Hots are not hot. At all. Not even a hint of heat. So, if anyone has some hot peppers they'd like to trade for sweet, I'm your girl.
Broodies are STILL at it, though the tide is starting to slow. I just grafted a bunch of incubator hatched chicks onto a chronically broody Giant (first timer at 4 years old, too). She's a very happy lady now. Just had a hen turn up out of nowhere with chicks in tow, happy surprise because I thought she'd disappeared forever. I have NO idea where she hatched, or where she's taking her new brood at night. Exasperating surprise because this is her third time at motherhood this year, and of the first two batches, none of the eggs were hers because she's not a hen I would have chosen to breed. She clearly had other ideas, and I can't argue with mother nature.
One more hen has just hatched a huge clutch of eggs I didn't discover until too late, and I've still got one broody sitting on eggs. Hopefully she is the last one until next year, I'm happy to be getting enough eggs to eat again! I can't believe I am saying it, but I am officially all baby-ed out. Enough is enough!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am

@windwalkingwolf pic of new guy on previous page!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”