Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 am

There was a picture of a Raccoon in today's Citizen, apparently "saved" by City workers after it caught its paw/hand in a garbage bin.
One of your Jaye ? :)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:25 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 am
There was a picture of a Raccoon in today's Citizen, apparently "saved" by City workers after it caught its paw/hand in a garbage bin.
:laugh: , I doubt it, since he was stuck in a dumpster in Kanata ... that would have been a fair distance to travel from where we are.
The article says that “Luckily the raccoon was not injured and did not require transport to a vet.” Phew! :roll:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

I mean WTF! They carry distemper and rabies. Perhaps you could try and get a local trapper to help out @Jaye ?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am
I mean WTF! They carry distemper and rabies. Perhaps you could try and get a local trapper to help out @Jaye ?
IKR?! Just goes to show that those little varmints get away with so much, just because people think they're cute.
I haven't seen our threesome back since they made their first/last appearance, but will be looking into finding a local trapper just in case they do show up again.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Jaye wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:25 am
Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 am
:laugh: , I doubt it, since he was stuck in a dumpster in Kanata ... that would have been a fair distance to travel from where we are.
The article says that “Luckily the raccoon was not injured and did not require transport to a vet.” Phew! :roll:
You are right, they are very territorial, probably one of ours :(
I am afraid City of Ottawa is now in charge of rescuing animals, so it's going to be politically correct all the way.
Maybe they will stop dumping road kill at the dump which attracts coyotes after they have had to "rescue" few of those ? ;)

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:50 pm

I agree, it will probably be PC all the way now that City of Ottawa has the responsibility.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Does it make me a bad person if I hope the rescuers all get leptospirosis? Canine distemper is a nasty thing...perhaps once everybody's $5000 pocket puppies start dying, people will start viewing them as the invasive vermin they are?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Ahhh WWW, you’re not a bad person, you’re just tired of trying to use old fashioned (country folk?) common sense with “city people”.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 pm

We had to dispatch 4 young ones about a month or so ago that refused to bugger off. They were trying to break into the enclosed run. I thought at that time that it seemed late in the year for young ones. Then this morning I saw another one...I'd guess 6-8 weeks. Has the weather got them a bit mixed up?

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:42 pm

The winter was mild, and the frost-free season long. Some are on round two of babies. I almost ran down a very young group last night, and a heavily pregnant female the day before, in broad daylight. It's going to be loads of fun when the frogs are hibernating and the coons that survive to winter start getting hungry.

Return to “Around the Waterer”