Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 am

Foxes are very susceptible to lead poisoning if you place the poison right.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm
Actually the price is pretty standard, it's $800 with general anesthetic and $600 (which I paid) with just temporary anestethic. Seeing that it was Sunday I didn't even haggle:)
He had the quills on the inside of his mouth and lips, no way to get them while he was conscious :)
What I found interesting, is that about half way thru Sunday afternoon both Emergency animal Hospitals in Ottawa stopped taking new "patients" glad we went early.
I newer saw the porcupine, ( had the dog on a leash) just saw him stick his nose behind a tree and yank back with a face full,apparently the babies are left in the nest on the ground until they can climb trees, so I think he just stuck his face in to a baby porcupine.
Mine was at an emerg clinic on a holiday, too, and also through the mouth, lips and feet. He needed to have his lights out to have it done. Hasn't happened since...

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Good morning! ...belatedly, but with good reason.
I have been planting flowers in pots to place into 1/2 barrels in front of our house. Boy, it took me longer than I thought it would.
Next, I have one new perennial to plant - a delphinium, and a ground cover sedum to move to a sunnier location.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Planting my morning glories along the fence line today. That marks the beginning of summer in my mind. Was my dad's favorite flower and today would have been his 86th birthday if he was still with us. Those big blue flowers are the colour of his eyes and will always be prominent in my yard 💕

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 am
Foxes are very susceptible to lead poisoning if you place the poison right.
haven't had my second coffee yet...that took a second....

OC I have a live trap I can lend you....worth a shot. I'll drop it off today (if I think about it).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you for the kind offer baronrenfrew, but since I wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it, probably not a good idea.
I may as well admit it, I am not going to be getting a gun at this stage of my life, mainly because I couldn't hit a broad side of the barn when I was younger and my eye sight hasn't improved with age.
I am pretty sure I would either just wound the animal or myself, and shooting anything inside a trap seems vaguely unsportsmanlike ?
At the back of my mind is also the likelihood of this being a "working mom" looking to feed her kits....so you know....

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Well tonight i put a distempered confused unafraid coon out of its misery in my barn.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm

oh dear. probably the best thing for him/her, that you were there, able to put him/her out of its misery.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat May 26, 2018 7:01 am

SusanH wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm
Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm
Actually the price is pretty standard, it's $800 with general anesthetic and $600 (which I paid) with just temporary anestethic. Seeing that it was Sunday I didn't even haggle:)
He had the quills on the inside of his mouth and lips, no way to get them while he was conscious :)
What I found interesting, is that about half way thru Sunday afternoon both Emergency animal Hospitals in Ottawa stopped taking new "patients" glad we went early.
I newer saw the porcupine, ( had the dog on a leash) just saw him stick his nose behind a tree and yank back with a face full,apparently the babies are left in the nest on the ground until they can climb trees, so I think he just stuck his face in to a baby porcupine.
Mine was at an emerg clinic on a holiday, too, and also through the mouth, lips and feet. He needed to have his lights out to have it done. Hasn't happened since...
Ha! Obviously I jinxed myself. Spent last evening at the emerg vet with the other dog, same deal, quills in the palate and tongue. Aargh.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat May 26, 2018 7:30 am

I was kind of regretting my duck addition, such a lot of extra work, and they run from me? I have persisted in handling them anyway, capturing the poor terrified things and making them sit on my lap with their heads tucked into my elbow until they calm down. They seem to be resigned to getting used to this, as it is getting easier. Yesterday when I picked up Elfie, she stood on my lap, pressed her breast to mine and put her head on my shoulder, nuzzling my ear. So, ok, this is going to work out after all.

Return to “Around the Waterer”