Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 am

I never thought of painting a fake hole on a wall...lol. Yes, definitely dog/coyote mixes out there. I refuse to call them "coydogs" as it sounds dumb and is an insult to dogs lol

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:38 am

We are starting to have brush wolves also but these are coywolves, tall like a wolf and they have the appearance of a wolf but not as well muscled, more the colour of a coyote and bold like a coyote as well. They will come right into the yards during the day and sometimes at night they will howl and bark right at the edge of a nearby village, I think to try and trick the dogs into getting caught and eaten.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm

:shocked: So, they will attack dogs?
What can one do to get them to "move along and keep on going" if they don't own a firearm?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Jaye - even people. I carry a little something with me these days just in case.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 pm

I missed a few mornings-afternoons-evenings! Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Years. We went back to Southern Ontario for Christmas Day to be with family. It was grand.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:51 am

Jaye wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm
What can one do to get them to "move along and keep on going" if they don't own a firearm?
Get more dogs :D

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Jaye wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm
Jaye, yes sadly some packs will actually hunt dogs, they become experts at it, the trick is for a smaller wolf to act timid and run away from the dog, triggering the prey drive in the poor unsuspecting dog. He will chase after the wolf and once far enough away the wolf will turn and attack, distracting the dog long enough for the rest of the pack to come out from their hiding places to surround and kill the dog. Some of the older dogs in the village will begin to howl in fear when the wolves come close.That never happened when I was a kid. The best thing to do if you have wolves coming close is to take a course and get a firearm lol, anything else you do they will eventually figure out how to get around, they are super smart.

hayladee
On the Roost

Post by hayladee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Evening all, been to the Pa State Farm Show in Harrisburg the past couple of days with grands. Two of them had pigs in the show...came away with a third and a fourth....not bad and they had a great time. Today the sub freezing temps finally turned...a balmy 30* and tomorrow a bit higher, soooo ready for it....now MUD...eek!
Hi Bay...did I miss something here....are you SELLING the farm??????

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm

@Jaye I liken getting coyotes to stay away as being the same as making shoplifters stay away at my work. You make sure they know you see them. You talk to them non-stop and you respect them but you make sure you don’t show them weakness. And you don’t leave any of your valuables out where they’re easy to grab. They will move along once they get it through their thick skulls that there’s no easy pickings here. But if they do manage to pocket something even once then they will be relentless for quite some time. Unless you bring out bigger guns.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Just a friendly reminder.... we have two things we are organizing this month:
1) our very own :PTO: online show. The real deal with entries and a judge. Entries will be accepted from Jan 15th :o to Feb 2nd :yay: . So get your picture booth's and cameras warmed up! Instructions and details can be found here: poultry_admin @ PTO Online show - Winter 2018

2) our picture of the month contest (cute pictures). We are looking for entries by Jan 15th. Submit your pictures for this contest here: viewforum.php?f=94

Where did the first 9 days of this year go? Oh, yeah right, they were spent dealing with the extra work the deep freeze created... :rain:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Around the Waterer”