Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by TomK » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:00 pm

kathy....i dont know about the attitude bit..i have two Leghorn mutts that turned out to be pullets and they are basically wired to the moon phases....skittish..virtually impossible to catch and if i do for whatever reason, you should hwre the shrieking ... you would swear i was killing them slowly with a dull knife...
image.jpeg
Last edited by TomK on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Ok that chick really does look like a Robin. Maybe with this horrible weather a Robin really did break in for a comfy spot to stay until spring comes! The poor Robin's and killdeers around here have been in a panic since last weekend's storm

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 pm

So i had another good look at it in the daylight today and it may be a girl...comb is red but smaller than the light brown leghorns and it definitely has salmon or maybe some mahogany (its pretty red for salmon) in the breast.
And definitely blue blue blue.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:12 am

Good morning. Rare to be on here in the morning. Chicken Road Tripin’ today just waiting to meet the first person of the day to sell them some birds then 6 more stops them home.

Have a nice sunny day

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am

Safe trip . Hope all goes well. When's your first Fishin trip this year ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 am

ross wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am
Hey Ross first fishing trip 1st or 2nd weekend in May if things go as planned.

How you doing these days Ross? My best fishing buddy just bought a used Great Lakes fishing boat .... 26 feet cuddy cabin, captains chairs fully rigged for trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. It will be a comfortable big water ride. It will be docked at Port Stanley I will be making several trips down this summer to fish. I am sure we can get you and your grandkids out some day if you are up to it.

Jim

Breaks over back to driving
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm

JimW wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 am
ross wrote:

How you doing these days Ross? My best fishing buddy just bought a used Great Lakes fishing boat .... 26 feet cuddy cabin, captains chairs fully rigged for trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. It will be a comfortable big water ride. It will be docked at Port Stanley I will be making several trips down this summer to fish. I am sure we can get you and your grandkids out some day if you are up to it.

Jim

Question: Why would you go all the way to Lake Erie when there is fantastic fishing in Eastern Ontario with all these lakes? Don't mind me, just askin'. My husband is the one who does all the fishing and loves it out this way, especially since we moved here.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Different flavour is the spice of life .Jim travels & I as well when health allows all over fishing & some waters are better for some species then others . Also meet new folks .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 pm

KimChick,

I fish Eastern Ontario a lot as well, but there is not the same type of fishery in Eastern Ontario that can match the Great Lakes when you are after certain species.

We usually eat fish once or twice a week and prefer fish I catch. I fish Lake Erie for walleye. Eastern Ontario has lots of Lakes with walleye, but main are over-fished and the limit is only 4 fish, so when fishing Eastern Ontario for walleye I usually only keep a couple.

Lake Erie has an abundance of large walleye and you can keep 6 per licence and the Lake Erie can support a regular harvest of fish, MNR reports this year is best walleye population in 20 years. Plus fishing on Lake Erie for walleye uses different techniques then when I fish in Eastern Ontario. So Lake Erie is a nice road trip, my family lives down there, lots of fish for the freezer and different fishing techniques. Love it!!

I also regularly travel to the Toronto area for fish Lake Ontario for salmon, no 4 pound bass is Eastern Ontario can compete against fighting a 30 pound salmon with the CT Tower in the background.

JimW
KimChick wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm
JimW wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 am
ross wrote:

Jim

Question: Why would you go all the way to Lake Erie when there is fantastic fishing in Eastern Ontario with all these lakes? Don't mind me, just askin'. My husband is the one who does all the fishing and loves it out this way, especially since we moved here.
Black & Blue Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

The big lakes are also a different feeling to small lakes: close to ocean fishing.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Around the Waterer”