Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Ha! Ha! Enjoy your trip!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am

Phooey. The forecast is showers in the am, 35 degrees and showers for the pm, thunderstorms overnight, then rain. I don't have enough sense of humour to backpack in that. Since I have a sitter for the critters, maybe I'll find somewhere else to go go the night, it's been six weeks since my husband passed away. I don't mind being alone somewhere else. What makes you lonely is being alone where someone used to be.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am

That's annoying SusanH. I wouldn't want to be out in the elements in the heat and humidity either. Hope you find somewhere fun to go.

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 am

@SusanH might i suggest lugging the bug spray? for some reason the mosquitos here have just decided to do their thing. driving back to the house on the ATV last night was just nasty! Hope you find something fun to do regardless of the weather!

So i found a wonderful use for those invasive reeds that are popping up all over the place. apparently if we cut them now they will resprout and be sensitive to round up by end of sept. so i went to the ravine last night where there's a stand of them.....and i cut a pile of them down and burnt the flower heads and stripped the leaves and chopped them into 1 foot lengths and made a pollen bee house. LOL. just wrapped a pile of the tubes together with string. the stems are hollow...so i figure why not put them to good use. so maybe sometime i'll don the bug spray better and go down with the trailer and cut as much as i can and build a pile of these bee nests. at least it will stop the seeds from spreading off these awful things!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 am

@SusanH , that sounds like a better plan...we went on a road trip holiday some years ago...tenting when possible, motels/hotels when not...on Cape Cod we hit the state park, set up our tent, went to find some eats and while inside, the heavens opened up..it was around 75 F at the time and muggy...it rained for several days and spending it in a soggy tent is not my idea of a good time...treat yourself to something more...lol..have fun :beer2:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 am

We had a horrendous thunderstorm yesterday afternoon with 2" of rain, high winds and hail, followed by a 2 hour power outage. We were worried that one of the neighbours massive poplar trees would land on our roof, but instead they dropped tons of branches/leaves everywhere. The dogs were scared. Heck, I was scared of the sound of the hail hitting the windows! The chickens were ok, but although I had put them in their secure run (which is covered), I had neglected to close the windows in the coop, so the bedding got wet. Guess it's time to change it anyway.

Some of my tomato plants were blown over in their cages, but otherwise they didn't look too bad. Haven't checked the ones on the tall structure..... The chard is full of holes, but that will regenerate :)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 am

SusanH wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am
Phooey. The forecast is showers in the am, 35 degrees and showers for the pm, thunderstorms overnight, then rain. I don't have enough sense of humour to backpack in that. Since I have a sitter for the critters, maybe I'll find somewhere else to go go the night, it's been six weeks since my husband passed away. I don't mind being alone somewhere else. What makes you lonely is being alone where someone used to be.
Too much for an "adventure" for anybody.
I suggest googling a Country Inn with a frontage on a lake or a river.
Nothing like sitting on a shore of some body of water, to free the mind and consider options we might not think of when surrounded be our familiar every day environment.
What ever you decide, good speed!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Dollarama hiking poles? yeah, what about quality? don’t you get what you pay for?

The “warrior monks” of Asia (China, etc) would go on pilgrimage their only defence from muggers (and tigers) was a big stick, 5 or 6 feet long (known as a bo or bokken). It was a walking stick, and and they were proficient fighters and could wield it against any weapon. If made of the right wood (ironwood) they could break a sword. I wonder how strong a Dollarama walking stick is against a coyote or bear?

Yes you could find a nice cabin by a lake and drink wine and eat your belly full....
or you could spend days in the wilderness, clear your head, find yourself (and God?), get some sore muscles, and enjoy the “forest bath”. (a forest bath is a prescription Japanese doctors give to patients to help with physical and mental maladies. the smells, the hormones from the trees, the sounds, the solitude, will all do you good)

http://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 am

So i found a wonderful use for those invasive reeds that are popping up all over the place. apparently if we cut them now they will resprout and be sensitive to round up by end of sept. so i went to the ravine last night where there's a stand of them.....and i cut a pile of them down and burnt the flower heads and stripped the leaves and chopped them into 1 foot lengths and made a pollen bee house. LOL. just wrapped a pile of the tubes together with string. the stems are hollow...so i figure why not put them to good use. so maybe sometime i'll don the bug spray better and go down with the trailer and cut as much as i can and build a pile of these bee nests. at least it will stop the seeds from spreading off these awful things!!!!
I'm really surprised that you aren't using them to explore your talents in furniture making and basket weaving. You never seem to have enough to do to keep you busy :roll: roflmbo

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm
Yes you could find a nice cabin by a lake and drink wine and eat your belly full....
or you could spend days in the wilderness, clear your head, find yourself (and God?), get some sore muscles, and enjoy the “forest bath”. (a forest bath is a prescription Japanese doctors give to patients to help with physical and mental maladies. the smells, the hormones from the trees, the sounds, the solitude, will all do you good)

http://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/
Forest bathing is wonderful! I used to do it twice a day with my previous Labradors and I really loved it, as did they. The problem was ticks. Sadly, I had to stay out of the woods when the ticks moved north. I really miss those forest walks, and especially seeing all the wild flowers in the spring :(.

Return to “Around the Waterer”