Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by labradors » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm

It's a skating rink here and I frightened the chickens when I attempted to haul out some poop from their raised coop, but fell over backwards. Tried again and succeeded, then threw in some BOSS for them to peck for. The pop door is undoubtedly iced shut so they will be staying inside today.

Linda

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Well its no longer morning but it has been precipitating steadily in some form for the entire weekend...we have about three inches of granular snow and now its topping it with a thin crust of frozen stuff...a little wet but not quite rain....the birds are having none if it...a quick look out and 'nope, not for me' ...i clean coops bi weekly completely but its not happening until this weather stops...a couple more days aren't the end of the world anyway...we dont have the threat of power outages so thats always a comfort but here's a hope you al stay warm and safe..enjoy the day.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Freezing rain here now, whatever we escaped yesterday, we are getting double dose of today.
Everything coated in ice including the arch floor and my west facing window, makes the word go a bit blurry.
I think we will skip a doggy walk this aft.
My son arriving from Indonesia on Tuesday, me thinks he isn't going to be amused. ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm

I had to kick my way into the coop earlier. We got around 6" of snow yesterday. I'm guessing because it blew around and drifted quite a bit. I've got 1 1/2 foot drifts in the driveway and in front of coop. Freezing rain since I woke up and it's still going strong. I am soooooo ready to complain about black flies and mosquitos!
Had one chick hatch yesterday :( I had given my only 3 viable eggs to Stella the broody and on day 19 I found her in the dust bath and the eggs stone cold. She decided at the last moment that she didn't want to be tied down I guess. Tossed the eggs back in the incubator but only one made it. Hopefully I can find someone with new chicks that could add another. Worst case scenario I will have to find a couple to add in with this one. It's become VERY spoiled already today.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Happy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Worst case scenario I will have to find a couple to add in with this one. It's become VERY spoiled already today.
I've been there, @Happy , with Biscuit. WWW kindly offered two freshly hatched chicks to keep her company - Jan and Dean. Jan turned out to be a male, but is now happily ensconced as head of one of WWW's sub-flocks, and apparently, they all like him. Biscuit and Deanie are doing very well here, laying up a storm.
Hope you find some company for your chick soon.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 pm

It's got my hubby wrapped around it's little wing lol. It's cuddled up on his chest under a heating pad at the moment. It's been eating and drinking but I've only seen one poop so that seems a bit odd to me. But it's quiet and content so I guess all is well.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Any of those last minute ice storm pictures ready to enter in the picture of the month contest?
maybe some new hatched chicks ?
submit here now: viewforum.php?f=94
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Well the weather hasn't upset the turkey girls. I have 2 of them fighting for dominance. Looks like one of the youngsters has ideas above her station LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Oops I did it again.
71659B2B-1B49-44F4-9904-A0ACB644DBDE.jpeg
One very spoiled chick. I’m hopefully going to visit Giffen Farm to get a couple of chicks later today. If I wait any longer this guy won’t ever know he’s a chicken. Btw if he looks like the chick from pic of the month that’s because that’s his mother.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Very cute, it may be too late, it already thinks it's people :)
3 hours without hydro here, had to start a generator, because the sump pump was filling alarmingly fast.
Apologized to the dog, again, no doggy walk today, couldn't find any place that was walkable.
Also apologized to the birds, poor Chickadees and Juncos, slip sliding around since I had to spread the sunflower seeds on the ground, I mean ice.

Return to “Around the Waterer”