Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by poultry_admin » Tue May 15, 2018 1:24 am

I wonder if we get a lot of those chick pictures for the picture of the month contest?
We accept submissions until the end of Sunday the 20th and start voting on Monday.
Submit your picture with caption here:
viewforum.php?f=94
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 am

Our summer home is up in the backyard! So much nicer than sleeping in he house.
Candled a couple of eggs yesterday from under the broody girls (5 now LOL) and they are growing nicely. Hoping all is well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Good morning,
Few crazy days, topped off, by half of Wyandotte pullets going broody and two Ameracana hens.
They all seem to have murder on their mind and the fact that I just combined Mactawish with all the Wyandottes just increased the craziness.
On a positive note, had one of those " clandestine poultry meetings" behind Canadian Tire off Hwy 7, Jim is kindly taking some of our hatching eggs to Milpond Hatchery, thus saving me a trip, greatly appreciated.
It was some kind of timing, the 3 Black hens were laying like clockwork, I was well on the way to save 3 doz eggs and then 2 went broody on the same day. So 35 eggs!!!
Thanks to Jim going, I started to collect early, if I waited couple of weeks, I would have zilch.
Most of the garden in accept cucumbers and tomatoes, spinach lettuce and radishes are up, and I can see apple blossoms peaking :)
Have a good one!

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Almost home from my road trip stopped for a quick coffee. Dropped off some of OC’s eggs and a few of my eggs plus some I bought in pembrooke last night... 148 eggs for me I hope they all hatch.

Made a little stop on way home at the Big Apple picked up a few treats and wished I had room for a new travel companion but not enough space in suv.
EFBA126B-DB5A-4F52-8B7D-B3BA3FF82977.jpeg
Time to hit the road again.

JumW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 am

SO awful kerfuffle in the turkey pen yesterday pm. Couldn't see anything but discovered a turkey egg outside the paddock, smashed (fertile of course). Checked the main coop and yolk in there by broody 5s nest. There are grackles around but later I noticed a pair of ravens checking the paddock out so I have the paintball gun ready. Lost a couple of eggs earlier on and I thought I had an egg eating hen but now I know better. Looks like they wait until she gets off for a poop and drink. I moved her nest to the far corner last night so it's harder for them to get at it.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

Aww that poor turkey girl. I've had Ravens here the past 2 years and hadn't seen them here before. I've always had Crow's nest in evergreen trees in my backyard and they've moved out since the Ravens appeared. I'm nervous of Littles chicks when she gets them out and about.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 17, 2018 8:11 am

Yes, Ravens and Crows ae so smart!
Mutt chickens for eggs

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Good afternoon!
Somebody laid a shell-less egg in a nesting box early this morning. Not even a membrane, just an egg yolk sitting there with regular eggs, as pretty as you please, as if someone had just cracked it into a pan. First time I've ever seen that, and I can't believe no one ate it!I scooped it out and threw it out the door. Usually, this would have caused a violent stampede to get to the yummy treat, but everybody took a moment to cock an eye and then went back to breakfast. I guess everybody must be getting enough protein.
Doing a morning egg collection before I go to bed, instead of waiting until the afternoon, has paid off in one respect...the dog isn't getting any, and seems to have stopped looking for them to steal, and now I have 10 dozen eggs in my fridge! On the other hand though, Penny dog is now looking for her treats elsewhere, and has taken to hunting frogs in the drainage ditch across the road. She comes home muddy, soaked, dripping, and stinking of the Bog of Eternal Stench. She also likes to leave dead frogs around to get nice and ripe, and then roll on them. Just in case she didn't smell bad enough before.
:barf:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Funny, reached under one of the insane broodies today, just in case, and came up with a broken egg.
she is sitting in the top laying box, how did the egg get there I don't know, but not fond of raw egg in the hand feeling.
Luckily there is a cardboard liner in the bottom of the box so threw out the whole thing, at least I didn't have to scrub the box.
At last count 6 pullets and 2 hens broody, WTH?

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 am

Pic of the month contest closes tonight!

We accept submissions until the end of Sunday the 20th and start voting on Monday.
Submit your picture with caption here:
viewforum.php?f=94

We have a few openings left...
Progress: Pic of the month entries
70%
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Around the Waterer”