Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh my where are the pictures, tell me you didn't forget the pictures.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm

:sEm_ImSorry: No pictures. The thought crossed my mind, but I dismissed it because I take AWFUL pictures :sighke1:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 pm

That was quite an adventure!
Yes, we have seen them at our bird feeder, at night, at the cottage. However, that was many moons ago when the kids were small.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun May 13, 2018 10:42 am

Discovered this morel this morning in my herb garden by thr side door in the oregano! Only one so do I harvest it or leave it to make spores for next year...
CAC58692-9928-4D66-98A4-1882F5B001EE.jpeg
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sun May 13, 2018 12:40 pm

I vote spores for next year, but I know next to nothing about growing fungi, so I'm curious the hear what others have to say.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun May 13, 2018 3:44 pm

We found another one about a foot away but it got knocked off...oh dear guess it will get eaten!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 14, 2018 3:48 am

As long as you leave the root in(break off the stalk) it should regrow next year too
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am

Why is my asparagus not up at all? Usually I have daffodils and asparagus crazy at the same time, but this year there is no sign of asparagus at all and the daffs are starting to go brown. Last year I caught my new dog eating asparagus, but I can't see that wiping out all three patches.
We have company, so I moved the chicks from the guest bathroom to my bedroom. That's where I'll put them next year! It is so sweet to see and hear them in the morning. They sound like songbirds with such a variety of chirps and trills. I am amazed. When do they start clucking? I am not sure when they can stay outdoors overnight. I put them out with the ducklings during the day, and I turned off the heat lamp, so I suppose they can go soon. They are three weeks old. They are very tame now and come running to be picked up and cuddled. Unlike the ducklings who run in terror.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I love the sounds of chicks "singing", and miss it when they move out. Even though I hate the dust and mess, and always swear I won't have chicks in the house any more (especially in winter), I almost always cave and hatch a few. Their songs start sounding more like purposeful chicken noises at around 4-6 weeks old, some boys will even try out their baby crows at that time which is adorable all on it's own! But their voices won't be proper adult clucking until about 4-6 months old.
I especially love the baby "growl" trill sound in the evening, when someone is tired and wants to sleep, but someone else just will NOT shut up. In older birds this sound develops into a rooster's predator warning scream, and a broody hen's nighttime "purr" when she wants her babies to be silent. But in little tiny guys it's just a lovely melodical sound.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon May 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Guess which fool walked into a farm store and thought they were playing a tape of birds singing? Hubby immediately realized that the sound was coming from some boxes of chicks :). It was so adorable!

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”