Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Brebis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:31 am

The hen came back, I thought he was a goner....

I have an old blind EE hen who disappeared last week. Assumed that she had bumbled off and been taken by whatever prowls around the barn looking for a meal and hoped the end was quick and was thankful she had a good life. Well what a shock this morning when I get to the barn and there she is outside the pen, not a feather out of place and looking for breakfast!

Haven’t a clue where she went or how she managed to survive.....
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 am

Oh good!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Mr. Frank is feeling better about himself this pm. He managed to persuade his special lady, Sister, to lay an egg in the lovely nest he made for her.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Thank you for the chuckle KB, was taking the dog for a walk this aft and heard some alarm call from the back of the barn, so had to go slugging thru the snow to peak thru the window, and there is Mactawish standing over a hen who is obviously in the process of laying an egg.
In the end there were 2 eggs in that nest, and I can only assume that the call I was hearing went something like....
I can't believe it, I can't believe it, there is going to be TWOOOO eggs today. ;)

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm

:doh: Can somebody tell me why my Swedish flower hen decided she was going to be broody today? She had a hard moult this summer of all times... now she's going to be broody......no more eggs from her ......freeloaders are killing me :doh:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Well I got 6 eggs today. 5 yesterday. 7 on Saturday. I still have 3 adult girls that haven't molted yet and they seem to be in competition with the new layers. Some kinda Canadian Chicken Idol thing happening in my coop! Silly, silly girls. My 3 oldest girls are looking soooo much better (aesthetically and emotionally) than they have in a month. They're back to bossing the others around and being general busy-bodies. I really hate molting season. They got a new comfy perch cover (dr's orders for their bumblefoot) and they really think they live on the right side of the tracks and will only allow Sherman and Little (the banties) to sit with them through the day lol. Anybody else venturing over to test it out gets promptly reminded of their station in the world.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Happy, could you please elaborate on the new "comfy" perch cover? I bought some of that grey foam for wrapping pipes, but then I thought that it might be too flimsy.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:26 am

Oh be careful with the grey pipe insulation. I noticed them sitting on the metal bar of the dog pen gate so covered it. They promptly started to eat it!!!!!!!
Mutt chickens for eggs

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks for the warning KB. Grey piping covers sound like a definite no-no!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:40 pm

labradors wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm
Happy, could you please elaborate on the new "comfy" perch cover? I bought some of that grey foam for wrapping pipes, but then I thought that it might be too flimsy.
It's an old fleece blanket that the dog chewed a hole in. I cut it in strips and doubled it up and threw a few Staples in. Their perch is a 2x4 wide side up. I'll pop it off and either wash or replace a few times through winter I'm sure. The bantams have the old Sherpa lining from my old barn coat.

Return to “Around the Waterer”