Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:24 am

@JimW did you go to TSC in Watertown for those supplies? Any trouble come back over the border?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 am

JimW wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 pm
Busy day today... fed and watered the birds then went to Remembrance Day ceremony... then headed across the border for a little USA poultry supply shopping..... black rubber water pans, Sweet PDZ deodorizer, Denagard, PoultryRX, Permectrin, vitamins/electrolytes, dried soldierfly larva and GroGel plus B.

After shopping made it home in time to hear the Bells of Peace ring in Smiths Falls and then in Merrickville.

Looking forward to trying the GroGel Plus B for all my day old chicks, plus using the gel to provide water and nutrients to chicks I ship or bring to sales and auctions. Trying a bit of it out on the chicks I received from BC on Friday.

http://www.dawesnutrition.com/spec%20sheets/grogel.pdf
C1D7D777-000A-419D-95B5-D7BC358E78E0.jpeg
Any plans opening a Poultry supply Shop ? :-)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 am

I'd be really interested in the Gro-Gel. Where did you get it?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 am

Well today is going to fun. One of the Jakes (fortunately one that will be processed) decided to launch himself out of the coop rafters and clumsily break a toe on landing. Poor chap looks like he's hurting but I'll see how he is later. Now the young girls are flying/climbing up into the whites pines and launching themselves off the branches out of the paddock. Never a dull moment.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:19 am

Good morning! Thought I'd chime in before the morning is gone.
All are turkeys have been put in the freezer; the stewing hens are next, probably next week.
Finally got out on a walk today, not a really long one but a walk just the same. I really need the exercise; modified Zumba a.k.a. "Zoomers" and
skating, each once a week, are not enough.
Have a good day everyone!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:43 am

JimW wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 pm
[...] then headed across the border for a little USA poultry supply shopping..... black rubber water pans, Sweet PDZ deodorizer, Denagard, PoultryRX, Permectrin, vitamins/electrolytes, dried soldierfly larva and GroGel plus B.

C1D7D777-000A-419D-95B5-D7BC358E78E0.jpeg
I'm assuming you got most of your supplies at Ogdensburg Tractor Supply? Is that where you got your dried black soldier fly larvae?
It will be interesting to hear how the GroGel works on your chicks.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

In response to several questions....

I did buy a few things at Tractor Supply in Ogdensburg.... rubber water pans, Sweet PDZ, freeze dried larva, VetRx. I have also bought Tylan and Amprol there in the past as well. This time I ordered a bunch of the stuff online from QC Supply in the US and had them ship to my US mailbox. The main thing I was after was Denagard and Grogel and QC Supply had both plus a few other things.

So far I have had no problems coming across the border. I usually pop over to the US go to my mailbox, TSC and Walmart and head home. At the border I say I bought supplies for my daughters pet chickens and whatever else I bought.... clothes or a few groceries at Walmart and all is good. I have only once in about 10 trips, had to go into border services and pay hst, no duties. This trip I spent about $200 US and they just let me drive on through. Easy

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am

oooookay that was a chilly morning! -10C....found 5 frozen waterers....so flipped them out for some new ones this morning before work, then had to go and warm my hands up! i'm not ready for this yet....argh! but all the birds looked good, even the youngsters that were moved out last week are feathering in nice and thick. i do think they're adjusting better than i am LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 am

Very cold this morning, had to bring apples from cold storage in to the fridge to warm up, same for vine.
Left my trusted green wagon out in the sun couple of days ago to dry off, before putting away in to garden shed, can't find it now, I mean the wagon, I can still see the shed. ;)
Yeah a bit too early for my liking, some netting still up over one run, I sure hope the snow still melts and it can come down in one piece.
Sunny though so at least it looks pretty, have a nice one!

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 am

Good morning!! Our first significant snowfall starts this afternoon about 4pm. I will still be out on the roads with the bus, so for sure, it will start sooner than that. Supposed to be a crappy drive in the morning. Not ready for winter.

I'm sitting here, after just delivering my vehicle to the corner for repair. Honestly, why the man in my life continues to pour money into OLD vehicles is beyond me. When out of his mouth I once did hear, why pour money into an old vehicle, when you can make payments on a newer one, without constantly fixing. (mind you he knows newer vehicles aren't immune to poop happening). But thousands have gone into this 2005 Dodge Durango... and mind you its a nice vehicle to drive in crap weather (with snow tires, and heater fans (all stages working, not just the super high one, that you can't even carry on a conversation in it with anyone)... but its getting so tired. Looks great, no rust... kept it oiled all these years.... but but but......

Havne't been to the barn yet. Just heard yet another bird hit the window here. I KEEP meaning on buying some sun catcher things to put on the windows.... they are HUGE picture windows... and hell on birds. Especially with feeders and waterers just not far from them... and then a hawk comes along.... and I feel so bad for them. Only one that i have seen hit it hard enough to die. I've usually rescued the others, placed them somewhere safe... and they are gone later. Probably only to die after somewhere. I just keep voicing my displeasure in this STUPID house, and its layout. Its NOT senior friendly.... I'm hardly a crippled idiot yet... but even for a normal person to get around it, with its narrow ass door ways.... and can't get normal furniture inside it... or out of it... have to take appliance completely apart to get in... (had to do with with 2 fridges... Colleen helped me take the old one out.... coil thing and wires and copper tubes on the back of that one.. that are welded on..... so maddening..... no porch to put barn clothes.. well, there IS a porch, but open, cement... with steel rusted railings... and narrow cement stairs... just makes me so mad.

Anyhow, I will have to come back on and catch up on the good morning thread... I really should get to the barn. lol.

This morning, after chores, I'm going to get my heated water buckets all out. Just bought 3 more yesterday, at the tune of $60 some odd a piece. I'm done with frozen water.... and seeing as how Jeremy's paying the farm hydro (hes living in the stone house..... course, rent free...... no clue as to how long this succession plan is supposed to take)... but I also figured I would suck as much money out of the farm income as I can.... and have it pay for my stuff, because after this take over... I won't have as much money to play with, and with holding the mortgage.... limited funds a month from the sale. Sucks A S S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was fattening some turkeys for the freezer... had 5 nice hens... along with 3 Tom's.. but someone wanted some Royal girls... so I sold them to her. I've still got 4 (I think boys) in the back room... younger ones I had on Kijiji. Finally sold 3 girls out of there that someone wanted as pets..... but as far as the idiot on Kijiji go, they can all go to hell. So many replies, and when you answer, you never hear from them again... even the few that email you twice. And only one bite on the guinea's... until WAY later, I had a new one, just after I took 24 of them to Hagersville. NO idea how much they brought, stupid stupid stupid time to sell them, when everyones downsizing, but they were a late hatch, and even tho they were fine in the pen they were in.... they were starting to fight. GAWD... sometimes they can be so MADDENING!! Just last night, took a hen (youngster) out of a pen, they all decided to gang up on her and peck the crap out of her. I normally take the bastard out... but noticed 2 different ones on her. So I took her out. So now, have another special little case to feed and water... with plastic containers, that will freeze.......... already have the rooster condo full of 3 roosters and one dorky EE, who will NOT stay in the layer pen. She freaks to get out and lay her egg in a special place miles from the group. So, I put her in a pen.

Anyone know of anybody who wants to buy a coronation Sussex rooster, or trade one for a pullet??? I've got 2 nice boys here, but no girl. I would say pet quality..... even tho they are big and beautiful. I've never raised a show bird in my life that I"m aware of.

Well, I guess I'd better go out. Cows don't bed themselves..... I still have to pick up crap from outside to get ready for winter.... and tomorrow stuff will be covered in snow. What I really would like is a day to do nothing, or have nothing to do. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. As if that ever comes about.

Return to “Around the Waterer”