Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by labradors » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent problems. I know only too well about "difficult" dogs that drive us to distraction. We get absolutely furious and threaten the one-way trip to the vet, but how could we do it? We love her so much when she behaves.....

So sorry to hear about your ducks :(.

I guess you will have to figure out a way to fortify the chicken house or keep the pooch inside - at least that will be easier in the winter!

{{{Hugs}}}}

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:57 am

Good morning!
Snow was very pretty last night, every branch coated and the pines like old ladies in white lacy crinolines.
Getting ready for a bit of Barn Reno, taking down the half quonset to see if we can install it a bit lower to let more light in to one of the pens, every winter the top of quonset collect snow and blocs the window. Not fond of dark barn, the girls love their sunny spots. :-)
that will make the angle of the quonset different so front door will have to be reattached straight, otherwise we will have a 'crooked house" door.
I can only assume that much "mansplaining" will happen, before me and the girls will get it done to our satisfaction. ;)
Have a sunny one!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:39 am

Good morning...pretty darn blustery out there today..hope it eases off...MJ hung out the sheets on the line and they are fluttering horizontally...hope the pegs hold..
...i was making pen panels to expand the outside and the air hose on my compresaor gave out..it's less than a year old ...why do they even make this crap?...off to princess auto for a 'real' rubber one and new fittings...makes me nuts...all this unecessary land fill...
...on a brighter note, what is rhe opinion on these Brabanter chicks?..male,female?..thought I would join in on the fun that Jaye started...we both are the recipients of the result of hatching some of Paula's eggs...here goes
20181110_093533.jpg
20181110_093710.jpg
20181110_093743.jpg
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:06 pm

So I looked up Brabanters on "Feathersite" .......
you got to be kidding, no way can I tell the difference :-)

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:50 am

Good morning!!
We are coming up on the middle of the month again. We are taking entries for the picture of the month contest in the well known location:
viewforum.php?f=94

Entries close on the 17th. I will set up the voting on the 18th.
Looking forward to seeing your fall/winter pictures!!!!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 am

@SusanH sorry to here about your dog troubles. I'm sure you are going to miss your ducks they were very cute. If I remember, you don't have a light in your coop. That could be try your polish girls aren't laying yet. I have a bunch of 7 month old Silkies freeloading at the moment and they have lights...lol keep up with the poly, it will help her heal.
Hang in there!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 am

TomK wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:39 am
Good morning...pretty darn blustery out there today..hope it eases off...MJ hung out the sheets on the line and they are fluttering horizontally...hope the pegs hold..
...i was making pen panels to expand the outside and the air hose on my compresaor gave out..it's less than a year old ...why do they even make this crap?...off to princess auto for a 'real' rubber one and new fittings...makes me nuts...all this unecessary land fill...
...on a brighter note, what is rhe opinion on these Brabanter chicks?..male,female?..thought I would join in on the fun that Jaye started...we both are the recipients of the result of hatching some of Paula's eggs...here goes
Tom, I tend to guess by way of their size - bigger ones tend to be young cockerels. I don't see any evidence of growing wattles or large combs in comparison from one to the other. Unless that is what I'm seeing in photo #2.
Maybe they are all pullets?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Well I picked up Sunflower seeds from @WaupoosCowgirl today and fortunately she had a dozen eggs in her shop which I bought! I have told them that they are all freeloaders except Sister and she can't take up all the slack.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:26 pm

TomK wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:39 am
20181110_093533.jpg
20181110_093710.jpg
20181110_093743.jpg
Ok, looking at the two that @Jaye posted, and at these three, I'm at a complete loss. They all look like boys to me, but what looks like rooster points, I think is actually just cage damage or pre-moult rattiness. It shouldn't be this hard to sex birds at two months old! Whose idea was this, anyway? Oh wait... :sSig_censored: :roll: roflmbo

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Busy day today... fed and watered the birds then went to Remembrance Day ceremony... then headed across the border for a little USA poultry supply shopping..... black rubber water pans, Sweet PDZ deodorizer, Denagard, PoultryRX, Permectrin, vitamins/electrolytes, dried soldierfly larva and GroGel plus B.

After shopping made it home in time to hear the Bells of Peace ring in Smiths Falls and then in Merrickville.

Looking forward to trying the GroGel Plus B for all my day old chicks, plus using the gel to provide water and nutrients to chicks I ship or bring to sales and auctions. Trying a bit of it out on the chicks I received from BC on Friday.

http://www.dawesnutrition.com/spec%20sheets/grogel.pdf
C1D7D777-000A-419D-95B5-D7BC358E78E0.jpeg
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”