Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm

B4C61BCC-A3D3-4FCC-8284-D3DF216DFE20.jpeg
well, the bantams are kicking into gear. this foursome hatched yesterday, one I didn’t let sit, and just found another on a nest.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 am
SusanH wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:28 pm
BTW, KB and OC, you might be surprised to know the Wyandottes have been the model adults here so far! They go to bed first, and they are making my egg collection easy by using the same nest box. All is well.
:stars: :stars:
;) not surpized at all, I have "test driven" enough breeds to know why I settled on Wyandottes, very sensible ladies. :)
Oh, I somehow thought they had a reputation for brattiness! I hope the sweetness rubs off on the others.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 pm

No not bratty at all, just Princesses. And OCs line has a habit of not laying in nest boxes when they are with either @thejonesboy or myself.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am

KB, the ones I got from you don’t like laying nest boxes either....but at least they pick a clean corner of the coop!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 pm
No not bratty at all, just Princesses. And OCs line has a habit of not laying in nest boxes when they are with either @thejonesboy or myself.
I resemble that remark, only two out of my 16 are still laying in the "clean" corner, mainly because half of the nest boxes are occupied by screaming banshee broodies, what is a girl supposed to do, when a girls has got to go???? ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Severe T.Storm watch for us this afternoon, although it doesn't look much like we're going to get those 100 kph wind gusts! I put the chickens in their secure run so they won't get blown away and they're not very happy about that :(.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Happy wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 am
Didn’t really know where to put this but it reminded me of many of you on here.
7A00C0AE-934B-46B9-8E33-2347588BFC24.jpeg
I worked away from home a lot of my life, out of a suitcase. When I didn't have to any more, I moved here so I would have an excuse to stay home. And I threw away cellphone too. I like it a lot.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:14 am

SO if anyone wants a rather battered, apparently infertile rooster who has become too aggressive with the ladies let me know. Chunky has stopped dancing much, the girls don't like him and he ain't much of a protector preferring to lose his through the fence sparring matches to Frank. Was fertile back in January but not since. Too scrawny for soup.
Thought this might interest Colin @Farrier1987
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:47 am

Morning all!
not a drop of rain at our place yesterday. wind like crazy....but no water. please someone send water, we are desperate!!!! the corn is up but pineappling already! argh!
managed to get some barrels on the cheap for gathering our recycling etc for the dump runs. yep, those were in close proximity to the grey shed and thus did not survive....so visited an amazing dairy farm north of us yesterday, and got 4 plastic drums plus a beat up old metal drum (good for a burn barrel should we ever decide on using it). 200 head of cattle, and all the moms and calves housed up close to the barn out in the field yesterday romping around in the wind. anyone who thinks that dairy cows are abused on a farm like that has their head in a place i shouldn't mention on a family forum. these calves were having FUN! and moms just standing there like "what did i bring into the world, and why??!" lol
last week i moved a trio outside - they were egg eating little jerks, and i think it was the rooster eating eggs. i have my old infertile sweetheart of a barred rock rooster outside too. well, my barred rock lost all his girls to this jerk, so i think jerk will be seeing the freezer this weekend. there is no reason for him to have ANY fun if he's breaking eggs. so there. and of course he taught his girls to eat them once he broke them. so. JERK.
construction continues. too windy yesterday for the guys to get too far. but it's already looking better, and warmer. alas, i found ants in the livingroom and followed them as they left and they have a tunnel IN the hardwood floor. okay, it's not the real hardwood but STILL! so i went nuts with the bugspray....argh. so looks like i'll have to pull up the floor and see where they are actually living. i hope it's just a way to the outside.....argh! it's always something....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am

Good morning! We had rain here yesterday which is good for all our vegetation. Hoping other areas will get their fair share.

Return to “Around the Waterer”