Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 am

Very excited this am, off to pick up the Grandbaby Toms from Joan!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Very exciting morning here too, but not in a good way.
the Lab had a run in with a porcupine last night, (first one in 10 years ) and after giving it the old college try, decided it was way too much for me, so this morning DH headed to the Veterinary hospital, where apparently he is in a waiting line behind 6 other dogs with the same problem.
What is it with kids getting sick and animals injured on the weekend?
So while I am manning (womaning ?) the fort, hear a "chicken alarm" from the run, so hit the ground running, while yelling, before I even knew what is going on, the thought "it's Sunday, it must be fox...
sure enough there it was in the middle of the run, mouth full of either feathers or a hen, couldn't quite tell, grabbed a pitchfork and continued, and it actually stopped to see if I was planning to continue the pursuit, since I wasn't sure if it had a hen I continued.
Lost it in the bush and went back to count the chickens, from the amount of feathers you would think they were all naked, but nobody missing, just a very sparse tail on one.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Whew, close call, OC! Well done.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 am
Very excited this am, off to pick up the Grandbaby Toms from Joan!
Need pictures!

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm

@Ontario Chick I'm so glad that you didn't have any losses. I had something sneakng up on the yard this afternoon as well. My lab spotted it and took off after it. From the racket the two dogs made and the distance that they ran through the bush I'm guessing fox or coyote.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Feathers.jpg
Apparently the word was out that the dog was at the vet...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm
Very exciting morning here too, but not in a good way.
the Lab had a run in with a porcupine last night, (first one in 10 years ) and after giving it the old college try, decided it was way too much for me, so this morning DH headed to the Veterinary hospital, where apparently he is in a waiting line behind 6 other dogs with the same problem.
What is it with kids getting sick and animals injured on the weekend?
So while I am manning (womaning ?) the fort, hear a "chicken alarm" from the run, so hit the ground running, while yelling, before I even knew what is going on, the thought "it's Sunday, it must be fox...
sure enough there it was in the middle of the run, mouth full of either feathers or a hen, couldn't quite tell, grabbed a pitchfork and continued, and it actually stopped to see if I was planning to continue the pursuit, since I wasn't sure if it had a hen I continued.
Lost it in the bush and went back to count the chickens, from the amount of feathers you would think they were all naked, but nobody missing, just a very sparse tail on one.
Two things came to mind...one...Labs are great but they will NEVER learn to not grab a porcupine...its basically Labrador Retriever genetics 101...and two...would you have actually stuck the pitchfork into a fox?..or was it to make you feel like your threat at the rascal was genuine so he/she better take you seriously?.....lol :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 20, 2018 10:59 pm

TomK wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 pm
Two things came to mind...one...Labs are great but they will NEVER learn to not grab a porcupine...its basically Labrador Retriever genetics 101...and two...would you have actually stuck the pitchfork into a fox?..or was it to make you feel like your threat at the rascal was genuine so he/she better take you seriously?.....lol :run:
My pitchfork in hand is purely for self defense only :)
all animals are safe from me, I never get close enough to do anybody any harm, my plan in general, is to leave all intruders with an impression that a scary dangerous loud woman lives here, and no chicken is worth that kind of trouble. ;)
and before you ask, it seems to be working only for coyotes, they have never been back, everybody else seems to have a very short memory. :susel:

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Feathers.jpgApparently the word was out that the dog was at the vet...
Oh no!
I feel you about the porcupine quills, too. Back in the day, several times, have had to have two people sit on a dog with a stick in it's jaws while I plucked quills from throat, tongue and gums...not a good time for any involved. Knockout juice at the vets is 100 times faster and easier, especially on the dog!My little dwarf BC x, Wendyll, is an avid porcupine hunter. At least once a year, every year, he gets a mouthful. I hate him :rofl:
He's getting up in years and hasn't gotten into a porky yet, this year :xfingers:
He's also a fox killer, but hasn't done that in a couple of years, either. Years catching up to him maybe :idunno:
Pennydog is just recently turned one year old, and has yet to see a porcupine. I hope it stays that way.
Are those feathers from a bird that's alive and accounted for, or missing?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 20, 2018 11:34 pm

Everybody accounted for, one has a rather diminished tail, one big plus with Amearuacanas, they will fly readily.
When the Wyandottes are out I sit in the run with them, they are too easy a pray, a little too docile and I am not willing to loose any.
I must admit when I saw the pile I was pretty sure I lost one, had to count twice to make sure everybody made it.

Return to “Around the Waterer”