Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:19 am

Good morning. Sure hope everyone slept better than me. I haven't heard a coyote around here in a few months. I know better than to think that means they're not around but one of them called a meeting last night and they showed up by the 100's (at least that's what it sounded like)
Between having coyotes yipping in every direction and discovering a bat circling my dinning room at 2am (I am embarrassingly terrified of them) I didn't get much rest. I think chickens will only get out with me by their side for the next while.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 am

Good morning, the same here last night chorus of coyotes from all sides.
I always make myself feel better by remembering that couple of coyotes sound like twenty..... or so they say ;)
still hot and humid here found me whippersnipping and emptying first of my compost bins at seven in the morning, my sunrise salutations instead of yoga :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

okay folks.....the oddballs from my light brown leghorn breedings. it's the white birds in the photos. in one of the photos there's a white bird on the perch and a "normal" light brown leghorn pullet of the same age from the same hatch right behind her.....
boy1.jpg
boy 2.jpg
boy 3.jpg
boy 4.jpg
girl 1.jpg
girl 2.jpg
girl 3.jpg
parents and one daughter.jpg
okay, some of the photos are rotated...argh.
anyways, everything from single combs, to muffs and beards with pea comb, to blue and splash and there are light brown leghorns in there too. the one photo (the last one) is all the light brown leghorn parents (the brown ones) and look good. that boy is the only boy i have-and he has nice beetle green sheen in the tail and does not look blue in any way shape or form. neither do any of the girls. that white bird in the middle is one of their kids.
definitely some sort of leghorn body shape. leg colour is all over the map, everything from blue to yellow to orange to almost slate, but no black or real slate. no feathered legs (thank goodness!).
the muffed and bearded boy is really striking....

and yes, this is the same group of people that packed up my ceramic eggs, but all these guys were hatched before i even went on holidays, so no one had looked after them but me and my hubby for almost a year. we didn't manage to get away for christmas....so. and i've been hatching these sports since march this year.

this one has me stumped....someone is Ewh because these chicks are solid wheaten pattern with a few black dots (very few), and i could see that not being able to be seen in adults...but i got the adults as hatching eggs and hatched them and there wasn't a single yellow chick in the bunch, they were all stripy chipmunks and Ewh is dominant to e+.

there are 3 hens and 1 rooster. all 3 hens are laying wonderfully. i am getting between 35 and 50% sports. i get 2-3 eggs a day from the 3 moms....so....i do think it's more than 1 mom throwing these...which would mean that both mom and dad are carrying *whatever*. anyways, i should put this over in the genetics topic for more in depth conversation. in fact i will....sometime!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am

Sorry to hear about the coyotes!!!!

It was raining hard, and my four were all sitting on the perch in the run yesterday afternoon, squawking like mad. When we looked out, there was an enormous turkey vulture sitting in a dead tree above their run, and three more in another tree closeby. The odd thing is that the run is covered by a solid roof, so how did they even know that the vultures were there?

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 am

Usually there’s silence in the flock when danger is near . The squawking was probably the “ as mad as a wet hen “ syndrome . Yesterday I had the biggest hawk I’ve ever seen swoop down on mine right in front of me at the side porch . The rooster let out a loud squawk & they all dove for the cedar tree hedge row . I let out a loud crow call & the dog jumped at it barking & it flew away . Never to be seen rest of day . The chickens were quiet in there for rest of aft . Then snuck quickly,quietly to barn at dusk . Have to see if back today .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 am

Ross, your dog sounds awesome!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

Sure is Jaye . Hard to be a real German Shepherd . All around dogs they are .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:00 am

Your shepherd sounds amazing Ross! When I heard all the rumpus I told my lab/BC to "go check on the chickens" and she ignored me, preferring to stay nice and dry under the awning on the deck.

Good to know that they would be quiet in the face of danger, and were probably just squawking that they had to stay under cover because it was raining so hard.

Linda

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:55 am

My young girl Gilly is the true chicken little. She imagines danger at every corner and seems to think she’s a better look-out than the roosters. So I ignore her most of the time. But she freaked out the other morning and got everyone else worked up and looking up in a tree right behind the coop. Sure enough there was 5 young raccoons up there. Probably just left Mom (or Mom is the dead one laying on the road about a km away) so back inside everyone went for the day. Seems late for young ones but 2nd litter I guess. Between them and the coyotes I’m feeling like Gilly now. Head on a swivel lol.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

labradors wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:00 am
Your shepherd sounds amazing Ross! When I heard all the rumpus I told my lab/BC to "go check on the chickens" and she ignored me, preferring to stay nice and dry under the awning on the deck.

Good to know that they would be quiet in the face of danger, and were probably just squawking that they had to stay under cover because it was raining so hard.

Linda
Lol Linda my lab will sit outside the coop in the pouring rain (or snow) waiting for me to be finished and joyfully skip beside me back to the house. But if I try to send him out in it to help get chickens in or have a pee he looks at me like I’m abusive.

Return to “Around the Waterer”