Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:13 am

can i be adopted @Happy? LOL. I have had a super rough 2 weeks at work, and am seriously contemplating a change in venu.....as soon as i find one. which is why i now have 380 PTO messages to catch up on! eeep! hopefully sometime i'll get them all read!
at least most of my chickens and turkeys still love me. cats, not sure. they cornered a mouse inside the stove yesterday. it's now lost in the office upstairs because some jerk of a cat caught it and ran upstairs with it to play, and then "lost" it. gah!!!!!
good news is on the weekend i made pumpkin pie with a "not pumpkin" (i used a hubbard squash) and then made my pastry from scratch and it was edible. first time in my life. not good enough to open a bakery as a second career, but edible! small victory. need to clean pens, and finally remove the heater from the grow out pen soon. they're growing great....all feathered in and acting like big birds now. my second last hatch of chickens are finally just starting to lay, so actually getting quite a few of those little pullet eggs :-) they're perfect for breakfast. and some of my older slackers have started laying again too, so finally getting a dozen eggs a day again. (okay, should be getting more like 4 dozen, but it is what it is-given it's so dark and rainy!)
okay, off to read.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am

Falcons take special care and feeding. Her name is Perry, short for peregrine. Darned ungrateful bird defecated on me this morning. Mucky mucky barnyard. Fool chickens out hunting and pecking in the cold rain. Chickens is stupid birds, that's why I got a falcon instead. Will be glad when we get a hard freeze and it stays. I am tired of rain and mud. Got to trap some beaver for the town, blocking up drainage ditches and flooding a field, put traps in an a few days ago and have checked them, some success, but I am not going to check them today in this rain. Think I will curl up with a book.
Attachments
Falcons need special food.jpg
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 pm
Jaye wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm
In my next life, I want to be one of your chickens, @Happy . :-)
Heck, I'd take Happy as one of my chicks in this life.
Yes but, would she still be Happy ? ;)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes Farrier I think those falcons are smarter birds. But arn't you worried if you keep giving her extras she soon won't be able to fly. She looks like shes getting an extra rubber tire, if you know what I mean.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:05 pm

@Farrier1987 this chick is demanding and entitled. And I'm great at rallying the troops for a cause. You wouldn't want me in your coop!
@WLLady if you lay eggs there's always room for another 😋

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:50 am

Just noticed we have the Advent Calendar again for this year, loved it last year! Thanks @poultry_admin .
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Yup,
Advent calendar is back again @Killerbunny ! Have a look up next to the google search field.
Now, this still only works on full screen devices and big tablets. Some phones might be lucky in landscape/sideways mode.

Enjoy the pictures and jokes!!

Oh, by the way, if you have a good joke / picture send me a pm so I can include it!!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks for the Advent Calendar, @poultry_admin !
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Yes, Thank you from me too, just noticed it, I looked , I opened, I groaned and went back for more, :lol:
Thank you for the chuckle

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 am

morning all! well....another eventful couple of weeks....
i had a pen with 4 turkeys. 2 toms-both 2 years old. coexisted peacefully since hatch. and 2 hens. all 4 actually 2 years old and coexisted peacefully since hatch. no squabbling, no flying out......i get home from work last tuesday and the one tom has subjected the other to an EPIC beating. like just epic....he has been separated now since that evening, on antibiotics, polysporin bathing daily to make sure the damage to his head and snood don't get infected, had to hand feed because his face was so swelled up from the beating that he couldn't open his eyes, just massive scabs everywhere....aspirin for the swelling and pain....last night he was finally feeling better and actually roosted on the stall wall. and this morning he was exploring the barn again! i can't put him back with his own "flock" now, so i gave him the younger royal palms that are growing out and about 4 months old now, for his own flock. so far so good. but wow. i have a feeling i'll be processing turkeys for the freezer soon. they've been posted up for sale for months....and no takers (well, lots of people want them for christmas dinner but i'm not paying 15$/turkey for processing!!!!) so we'll put them in our freezer. i'm going to keep the red palms and royal palms a breeding quad or trio of each. otherwise everyone else goes. sometime. argh! birds.

And i'd been wrestling with hens eating eggs, so i threw the "culprits" out to the outside coop where they free range hoping they'd lose interest. well, i'm getting 5 eggs a day from 5 hens out there. rooster was lonely because i took away his girls, so i threw him in with a pen of grow out pullets. and guess who IMMEDIATELY started breaking eggs? The stupid rooster was the one breaking the eggs all along! argh! he's my only barred rock boy...so he will also be finding himself freezer camped soon i think.

@Jaye i need a recipe for pickled eggs from you :-) i think the pickled quail eggs were yours this summer. OMG good!

can't believe how close christmas is now! trying to finish up the last of the christmas shopping....argh! ironically with canada post striking we have had better and more consistent mail delivery than ever! ha ha.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”