Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 pm

@Ontario Chick you may be right. I was concerned bringing home chicks that are a week older I shouldn't have been. This jerk has been pecking their eyes while they lay in the cage trying to sleep. He's now cuddled up with me so they can get a break from him. It doesn't take long to create a monster. By attitude alone I'm convinced this is a rooster.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Sounds like spring comin back in time for turkey season .
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am

don't forget to vote for the picture of the month! Picture of the month May 2018
amazing entries again this month. I think at the end of the year this year maybe our calendar should just be a complete compilation of all the entries!

so some sad news last night-we had a 6 hour power outage about 10 days ago-before the ice thing....it was unplanned due to someone's stupidity on the roads involving a pole and stuff. anyways. all my chickens that were going into lockdown the day after hatched perfectly fine. the turkeys that were 2 weeks along are all looking pretty good and locked down yesterday for friday/saturday hopeful hatch. at least they were all moving and the eggs were all black and along to where i would expect them to be at this point. everything that was only 10 days along was dead. so i lost that entire batch. sigh. nothing moving, all were still at the 10 day stage. sigh. so fired that entire group in the compost last night. argh! but also speaks to how much more an embryo can take when it's older without being as affected!

fuzzys in the brooder again (i need to take photos yet)-easter eggers and some of those mystery chicks - argh they are from the light brown leghorns! and there's nothing brown, or partridge about them! they are super huge, super cute yellow on yellow chicks.....and they slim right down in about 10 days and grow in white feathers with black mottling. somehow. i absolutely cannot figure out the genetics....because i'm also getting perfect light brown (partridge) chicks from that pen, so dad is okay.....so it has to be some sort of recessive combination popping up white and mottling, but mottling is dominant and NONE of the parents are mottled at all! double argh. LOL. anyways. whatever. i have started removing birds from the pen one by one to see which female it is.....hopefully i'll know by the end of the next month. maybe.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:30 am

Kathy, I was always getting black sports out of my LB Leghorns when I was breeding them... about 50/50 LB to Black. but mottled is kinda neat.... how many ya got? are they spoken for?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 am

i have gotten 2 blacks from 40 chicks.....those i would expect honestly.....but the white mottled.....that was a totally new one for me! so far i think i have 4 or so. Sounded like TomK might be interested in a few, i'm growing them out to see exactly what they look like, and will have to do a head count. i have no clue if they're boys or girls either....i know there's for sure 3 in the brooder right now....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:54 am

@WLLady are they something like this guy? He hatched last year from my black breasted red (so partridge colour) OEGB. I’ve had 2 of those random mottled guys out of them. Both chicks hatched solid yellow.
Attachments
F3101099-3EF5-450E-94B3-7AE980503156.jpeg
C76079BF-925D-497D-B9B0-2235E0B31ABE.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Very pretty!
This one is for @Happy The Wyandotte pullets are all out and about practising keeping their tails down, little whotsits!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 pm

@Killerbunny perhaps a couple of my Cochin girls who like to hold their tails faaaaaar too high need to visit and give lessons!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm

AW he's cute!!!!! (no wonder all your pics of the month entries are cute!!!! you have the cutest chickens!!!! LOL)

I'll have to wait till the ones i have grow up a bit and take photos. but the one that Bayvistafarm has is all white with black splotches on it.
so a lot more white, and a lot less brown....a white bird that played in the paint can kinda thing!
it'll be an interesting genetics thing once i figure it out....(if i ever figure it out). i've resorted to playing with the chicken calculator in my spare time to try to reverse engineer the parents from what i know the offspring looks like and still have the parents look like leghorns. so far no luck whatsoever! and i haven't had any breakouts or crossbreeding....so it HAS to be in the parents....LOL

OH MY LORD sometimes i AM DENSE!!!!! someone probably once upon a time crossed with exchequer leghorns! that's what these little guys remind me of!!!! that's likely what is going on....i got hatching eggs last year, hatched and kept everything that hatched.....and that's the parents of these kids that are sometimes white and sometimes not.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Exchequer Leghorns sound very la-di-dah :)

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”