Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Re: Good Morning!

Post by thejonesboy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:21 am

@baronrenfrew is there something you want to tell us? :rubbingchin:

Wikipedia quote..... Baron of Renfrew is a dignity held by the heir apparent to the British throne, currently Prince Charles.

Your Royal Highness
:D
Andy :egg:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am

Mornin' folks...another day ahead in boiling...fantastic weather so I am grateful, as i boil outdoors...went from 10 AM til dark and have 2, count 'em, 2 litres of beautiful maple syrup...hope for another 2 today...I don't believe that, like all things, people in general appreciate the effort, time or expense put into the products available to them...as i mentioned previously, I have a very basic boiling setup, but it still consumes a great deal of firewood and time...so the investment on my part is that, not the outlay for serious equipment...with a better evaporator my output goes up but so does my cost...it all evens out...I have lots of potential trees to tap but so far this little bit i do suits me fine and i have enough syrup in the end to do me and mine...yum... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 am

Tom, at $13 per litre you made $26 or around $2.75 per hour. (i am sure a bit bigger operation would pay off, economies of scale and all that)

8 hours at an outdoor adventure camp is worth $80 or more.

a "forest bath" (Japanese doctors send people into the forest to unplug, clear their head, and
other health benefits) is worth at least as much

thats like me doing firewood. I "low grade" the forest when I cut firewood. "low grading" is cutting the poor trees (undesirable species, twisted, stunted) with a view on long term forest improvement. after generations of high grading, most of the trees are ironwood. so I cut ironwood to make room for maple, oak, hemlock, pine, etc. ironwood will seed like dandelions and grow a bit quicker than other trees growing over them.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

titles were sold to wealthy landowners then and now. if you look you can find a house in Europe somewhere in poor shape that comes with a title for under $1 million. my dad came from Germany and 600 acres of land in Germany would easily make him a Baron. since I bought the family home I inherit the title :-)

plus I was a big fan of a video game about the Red Baron (WW1 German flying ace made famous by his three winged biplane painted Red, and by Snoopy,) Sir Baron Manfred von Richthofen, and I needed something funky for passwords, screen names, and avatars so I've used baronrenfrew or BaronRichthofen in many versions for this. much better than Bert23115
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:12 am

thejonesboy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:21 am
@baronrenfrew is there something you want to tell us? :rubbingchin:

Wikipedia quote..... Baron of Renfrew is a dignity held by the heir apparent to the British throne, currently Prince Charles.

Your Royal Highness
:D
I think that would be Renfrew, Renfrewshire in Scotland!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am

I worked for the Baron VonMafi (sp) in the 80s on a show cattle ranch just outside Airdrie Alta . Originally was a thoroughbred race horse operation turned to horned Hereford operation . Had his own family winery back in Germany , name on the bottle & was a business front for family in Calgary , mega bucks . . Any relation Bert ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:58 am

nope: my grandparents were farmers in Silesia, Germany (now Poland)

the only "wealthy" family I know of was a cousin who started a Mercedes dealership in Vancouver in the 1960's

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Well the Easter Bunny was happily playing in the turkey paddock this am! Along with Mrs too so maybe some baby bunnies on the way. They seem to have figured out they're safer in there. They live under one of the chicken coops.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I think a Mercedes dealership in Vancouver is worth more $$$$ today than a link to the British royal family.
Andy :egg:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:34 pm

JimW wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 pm
OC I am sure we can figure out that. I am taking my first batch down to incubate April 12 to May 3, then next batch probably May 17 to June 7th. I am away May 24 to June 2nd so no hatching around that time.

JimW
Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 am
So Jim, since you are our main poultry traveller here, what are my chances of getting my Hatching eggs added to one of your Millpond Hatchery runs?
******************************************************************************************************************************************

OK, so I printed your Millpond run schedule, and will hang it in the barn, so everybody can see it.
Would love to get in on the May 17 date if all goes well. I would deliver the eggs to your place.
Starting to feel the fever ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”