Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by JimW » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 pm

@Killerbunny

First semester I am teaching in Careton Place at the alternative school then second semester teaching at Smiths Falls Collegiate institute, which will make Smiths Falls my permanent school the following year. 10 minutes drive vs 45 minutes to my old school.

Downsize my raccoon flock they are the easiest of my animals to keep.... I feed them once or twice then release them at the back of my property for them to have a long nap.

We had a coyote about 100 feet behind our house last week and have heard more calling lately and have not seen any signs for raccoons for a bit.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Your poor raccons might all be eaten, you really are downsizing.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Next it will be yotes .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 am

:bump:
poultry_admin wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm
Photo of the month contest time again!!!

Can you please submit your submission of the photo of the month September contest here: viewforum.php?f=94 ?
Please do so by Sunday night Aug 19th. We start voting on Monday the 20th.

Where did summer go???
:fan:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Had all the birds in the yard this aft and the beagle suddenly went nuts. Took me a while but I finally saw a full grown male coyote heading across the field as though he was just leaving my place to head to the neighbors. He sat in the middle of the field listening to rooster calls from 3 different directions. I watched him contemplating and licking his lips each time another rooster sounded off. Hubby couldn't get a safe shot. I texted neighbors to be on the watch. After about 30 minutes he ducked into the trees. I think the birds will be on lock-down for a couple days.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Good luck Happy! I hope your flock will stay safe!

Linda

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 pm

:help: Ok. I think I know why the Polish chicks are roosting in the tree instead of their nice safe coop. I think it's because they can't see! They can't see the roosts up over their heads, whereas to roost in the tree, they can just walk up. So tonight I put a branch in for them to walk up, and tomorrow I will try to get it better stabilized, and see if I can coax them to use the coop before snow happens. It would really suck to have to get five big hens out of an icy tree in the dark in a blizzard.

Other big news (and it's your fault): I got some fertile eggs from @Kbr42 and Miranda is now one happy chicken in her own little coop, sitting on seven eggs. Either I need to sell a couple of those Polish or a few of the new chicks, or get out my construction tools or all of the above. :broodyhen: Chicken math strikes again.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:30 pm

SusanH wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Other big news (and it's your fault): I got some fertile eggs from @Kbr42 and Miranda is now one happy chicken in her own little coop, sitting on seven eggs. Either I need to sell a couple of those Polish or a few of the new chicks, or get out my construction tools or all of the above. :broodyhen: Chicken math strikes again.
:congrats2:
roflmbo
I vote for more coops roflmbo

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:24 am

Good morning! Rain has started about 6am... although seems to have stopped for now.

I sold that turkey hen with her 7 babies, and finally got my pen back for the teenagers I had set free... again. They have been penned up and released and penned up and released, penned up, and just Sunday, I had to let them free again!

It was a busy day. Pickling in the morning, did another 11 jars... this time another batch of HOT dill pickles, and hot dill slices for burgers/sandwiches. They are so good. Have tons of jalapeno's right now. Also did a batch of those; the recipe cowboy candy... and want to do another.

Anyhow, did those pickles (thats 94 jars of dills to date), and cut some grass. Melissa came by to ride, and maybe take grand daughter Addison for a ride, as Gary's daughter Carries family were coming out with their trailer, and to cook a nice roast beef on the charcoal grill, they just got back from us. The first taste we've had of a beast off the new angus bull we got 2 years ago!! OMG... simply the best!! And it was a crappy cut of beef as well... blade roast.

Much later that night... just before supper (roast was late going on.. and was frozen), Melissa tells me she saw a turkey up by the barn with tons of babies! WHAT???????? There WAS another hen that was missing, but for so so long. I had long thought her picked off by something.. (probably didn't see her coming to the barn for food/drink) but after we went searching the horse pasture where the equipment is, and hay shed, we found her at the very back in weeds beside a big burdock bush. We went back to get the net and a cage.... as she sat hissing at us.. we could get quite close... I was thinking I could just put the net over her head and put her in the cage. Well, she flew off, and the babies scattered!! I put the net over a cluster before they could all get away, and Melissa got about collecting the rest. As mom kept flying in for an attack, lol. I couldn't catch her as she deeked in and about. So... we put the babies in a pail we took out, except for 2.. who we put in the net, and held it out so she could see/hear them. She followed us to the gate in the barnyard, when the mob of turkeys (loose teen... dominant red palm old girl.. bought from brebis years ago.....another old palm girl, and the tom) came up to her and red girl proceeded to want to pick a fight. We managed to get around everyone and back in the pen that was made ready for the family when we came back for the catching supplies!

So..... 12 babies!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap! Back in the same boat now.... too many turkeys, and no room to continue to fatten the teens. I guess I will post those boys on Kijiji as much as I hate it....I am not giving them away at the auction... some of them have decent body weight now. Hatched in February. Adult sized mostly.

This is another hen I got from WLLady. She is a much calmer hen than the mom I just sold... maybe keep her. I also see my coloured hen is on eggs as well... but shes in the barn. They breed like rats here!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that she incubated and hatched at least that many eggs.... maybe more unhatched in the nest? (can't find)... no wonder she was gone for so long... lay an egg a day... then sit for 28. With all the rain forecasted today, I'm glad that family is safe inside the barn.

On another note, I guess I kicked out a female guinea, when I was originally kicking out boys that were causing fights constantly in the pen.... there IS a boy mob of 12... but 2 males have teamed up with a female, who showed up with at least 15 babies. Don't know how many may have been lost... but currently at least 15. Yesterday, Carrie in the trailer saw them out on the lane near the trailer, and a hawk was diving down for a snack. She took them into the corn right beside the lane, while the two others were jumping up to attack the hawk as it was swooping. She said it was quite a show. It was a small hawk... I saw it flying later after pigeons around the silo. Maybe a coopers, or northern harrier? Although I think harriers are bigger than coopers... don't really know. I have NO idea how many babies there still may be. There was also a crow sitting in the tree above all that going on... maybe he was thinking of a snack too. I think those baby guinea's may survive now, barring pests... also can't believe a coon hasn't gotten them at night.... as they were 2 weeks old last Saturday.

Well, I have blathered on enough. I still have pickling to do... just made the syrup for the second batch of 9 days last night, so reboil that for the next 4 and pour over, before jar'ing them.

Right now, its off to the barn. I need to do bookwork today, and a rainy day is perfect for that!

Hope everyones day is good.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 am

We have loads of jalapenos and hot wax. Think you should post the recipe for the Cowboy Candy!
Way to go @SusanH and @Kbr42 . Nice to see that Karen could enable help out! Her sister is having silly ideas again as well, pulled her out of the bushes last night.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”