Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

Resident crows....hmmm... the crows are gone here, from my childhood until last spring we had crows.

I wonder what changed.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 am

We usually have resident crows, but for some reason, they haven't been around for the last few weeks. :-( When they were here, they did an excellent job of chasing hawks away.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm

theyre all headed to chatham for the winter lol. we have massive flocks down here.

well fox 1 is caught and nothing in the traps last night. ironically we caught the fox with chicken dinner cat food lol. i cant help it....i find that funny in a slightly morbose kind of way.....

couple hours at work today....and head vold from hell sigh. dis gwt all the bulbs planted and moved and some landscaping done. slept (i mean hunted) a bit from my treestand....so nice to breath in forest air again! i missed that the last 2 years. its super tough on the back but i got out and saw a couple deer....so even if i dont go back.out i did get out this year. we shall see. gotta shake this cold now!!!
got some birds off to new homes yesterday and landed some garlic in return-a cultiver i have never heard of that smells amazing-georgian fire. i will likely try one clove and plant the rest for next year. yum!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am

:xfingers: :xfingers: Everything crossed for this one. My little Ameraucana is due today after a 21day mess up. At one point Splash went in and tried to throw her off the nest, I heard the fuss but eggs were broken. I tried to wipe eggs down but several quit. This am I can hear cheeping but she has already thrown out a steamrollered egg and it smells like the chick was infected. We'll see if she manages to keep any.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 am

Guess that proves Kathy that there is some kinda chicken pcs or flavours in the cat food not artificial . Luck
Grandson coming out this wknd ,9, to spend weekend hunting squirrels, turkeys or deer . See if he’s into it our not . Good little fisherman & pellet rifle shooter already .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Well she has at least one bouncing chick for her efforts!
Now I would have picked some tomatoes today but certain wyandottes got to them first.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm
Well she has at least one bouncing chick for her efforts!
Now I would have picked some tomatoes today but certain wyandottes got to them first.
:stars: That's awesome! Hopefully there are at least two that hatch. :fingersx: Chicks need buddies.

Re: your "volunteer" tomato harvesters, BAD Wyandottes! ;) It's curious how some chickens can't resist tomatoes, but others couldn't care less about them; none of mine care for them. I could grow them right in their run if I wanted to, and they wouldn't touch them.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm

These climbed through a wire fence and up a wall to get them!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

My friends daughter in law has a friend who found a dog. a small dog. And a small dog looking just like it was lost around the cambridge area. It was grabbed by a bird. Turns out the dog is one and the same. 19 km away!! And no talon gouges or anything. How weird is that?

Going to wait another week before I get the garlic planted. Way too warm. Way. Hoping for a week when night time temps go down to single digits. Stupid stuff had a good inch or more growth last fall, before freeze up.

Well. I no sooner start this, and its bus time. Already had my bus out, just a jog into the school to hand in a student report. cocky little brat. Eating.... AND backwards in seat with legs in aisle and leaning and socializing. This is the second time hes done that.... first time after I warned him. Strike 2.

Its so nice out today. Cut grass. In lane. Such a nice lane in the fall.
the lane.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am

i love your lane in the fall with the big old trees! the way a farm lane should be! ah kids these days. invincible. remember when we were invincible?? yeah, me neither....
cannot wait for cooler weather. got my squashes into the house yesterday but pooched out before getting them to the basement. caught some bastard cold from someone here at work, the headache is impressive with this one....and sucks the life out of me! but can't stop-there's always things to do and i took one day off work and ended up HAVING to come in because everything that could have gone south did. sigh. unbelievable. cannot wait for the weekend. i can hopefully sleep.....preferably under a tree somewhere in the woods pretending to provide for my family (hunt) LOL.
just one crop of fuzzies in the basement yet to move to the barn once they feather in and that's it for the hatching for 2018 for me.
no more hits on the bait in the traps, so hopefully we're lucky and it's only the one fox....
fingers crossed!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”