Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Nice day here, as in not windy. Good day to sweep / scrape out a couple of coops and replenish with DE and fresh shavings. And I'll spray in the cracks and roost with Bug-Tek.
We are dealing with our rooster and his leg mites by smothering his legs with vegetable oil laced with a few drops of Neem oil. I should probably isolate him, too.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am

Good morning,
Frost on the pumpkin and everything else.
Last of the cockerels gone to the freezer, did it in stages this time, after plunking fresh birds in to the freezer all at once for years, , it occurred to me, since I don't have the flash freeze capability, that I have actually lowered (or I guess increased) the temperature in the freezer, and it took too long for everything to freeze, so now do a small batch at the time over a period of couple of days, much better results.
Planting garlic today, and bringing some compost in to the garden and that will officially close the garden for the year accept for few heads of lettuce and some turnips that will go to the chickens and some Swiss chard that will go in to todays lunch. :)
Had a first of the "Happy Chickens" (my family's take on chickens we have raised who lived short yet happy lives)
for lunch on Sunday, complimented by KB's Brussel sprouts, gourmet meal for sure.
BTW KB's Brussel sprout plants are about 4 feet high and contain about 4lb of Brussel sprouts each, we need to know the secret to growing those.
Have a warm one!!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:55 am

Really not sure what happened with the Brussels. All of a sudden when the weather got cooler they went nuts! The greens off them are great too and the birds love the whole plants when we've picked the sprouts.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Good evening, it's awfully quiet at PTO, KB did you break it?
Beautiful windy crisp day today , put winter tarp on the quonset, startled the chickens with the tarp flapping in the wind.
Looked out the window later on and see a flock of chickens heading for the hills....must have left a gate open and they took advantage, although they weren't sure where they were going with it and were pretty happy to be shooed back home.
Escape (1).jpg
Better head home (1).jpg
Better head home (1).jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
October colours.jpg
October colours.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2182 times

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!d

Post by TomK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Hana..you noticed huh?...very quiet...must be all the preparations for that nutty time at hallowed eve...so just to keep everyone up to speed should they be interested....my three Brabanter chicks are doing really well...i think (and i repeat 'think') i have two pullets and one cockeral...just going on size at this point and markings to a certain extent...hard to tell...the mohawk crest hides the comb developement completely and they are getting muffs which are hiding any wattle growth...(who developed these birds?...lol)...skittish...not big on being handled and i try daily...easy to keep...and gorgeous...dont eat a great deal...i hope that i am wrong on the sexing guess and get three pullets but the gods are rarely on my side this way...
..I think that all the pic loading from the OPB show blew everything ones mind...awesome photos of awesome birds...i think i am going to freezer camp the RIRs i got from Freys..waste of feed so far..
:run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 am

Both of us have been laid low with horrible colds. Hoping we feel better soon. Feed bill down with 8 less turkeys to feed, teenagers, what can I say, but they all went to great homes. Managed to do a good quad for a nice gentleman at the show and 3 others went to the home where their older semi-half sisters are. I only have 18 left! 6 of those (youngsters) plus possibly 2 lesser hens have an appt. at Hendersons in December but I haven't told them. I find it hard work to process them here although I'd prefer to.
Mutt chickens for eggs

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:46 am

Gidday- yep, going full throttle getting ready for winter. Got a nasty cold today.
Started an exercise program- After a nasty hot summer i’d lost a lot of stamina. I got lots of work “half done”, half to get it all done.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 am

hey everyone. wow, it's been so stupid busy i don't think i even got on the forum for about 2 weeks! argh! work is extremely busy. then my computer at home lost its mind and had to get wiped and redone....i think that's at least partly on its way and working again. so much to do. i just got the garlic planted on tuesday. and the rest of the fall bulbs on wednesday. was on a vacation day from work and my old fart of a dog went outside and wouldn't stop barking while i was fighting with windows 10 and down i went to discover him standing in the corner by the door with a soaking wet coon standing about 10 inches from him.....so let in the dog, fought the coon OUT and went to find the 22. somethin' not right with that one....had to go out the patio door and around the house, and when it saw me it rushed me, so definitely not healthy. sigh. at least it was not in the coop! or the barn! got the fox pelt drying, will need to check it this weekend, looking good so far....and no more foxes. huge flocks of vultures moving through, must have had 50 or so in a flock over our place yesterday. been out doing some deer hunting and turkey hunting. more like sitting uncomfortably....haven't seen much. bit of a challenge still after the surgery. i found i can pull my bow twice. then i need the cocking aid.....lol.
chickens are almost all set for winter. put out the heated dishes, just waiting to see which ones fail and need to be replaced. horses are all shaggy already and loving the cooler temps. hay is in....corn is half off, still a little wet on the clay, so it needs to dry a bit longer. hoping things settle down with work soon....but honestly not seeing it. so we'll have to see....fingers crossed for all the hunters out there. and feel better soon all of you with colds! there's a nasty one-i had it the last 3 weeks, and still not completely better yet....hopefully soon!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 pm

TomK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm
.my three Brabanter chicks are doing really well...i think (and i repeat 'think') i have two pullets and one cockeral...just going on size at this point and markings to a certain extent...hard to tell...the mohawk crest hides the comb developement completely and they are getting muffs which are hiding any wattle growth...(who developed these birds?...lol)...skittish...not big on being handled and i try daily...easy to keep...and gorgeous...dont eat a great deal...i hope that i am wrong on the sexing guess and get three pullets but the gods are rarely on my side this way...
:run:
They are quite spectacular, and look like great fun, I always wonder about any birds with "head dress", if it's a survival thing to be a bit skittish, presumably their vision is somewhat obscure, and better let for no reason then being snatched by some scary thing :)
Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 am
Both of us have been laid low with horrible colds. Hoping we feel better soon. Feed bill down with 8 less turkeys to feed, teenagers, what can I say, but they all went to great homes. Managed to do a good quad for a nice gentleman at the show and 3 others went to the home where their older semi-half sisters are. I only have 18 left! 6 of those (youngsters) plus possibly 2 lesser hens have an appt. at Hendersons in December but I haven't told them. I find it hard work to process them here although I'd prefer to.
Sorry you aren't feeling well, that is a bit of a bummer, sending good thoughts your way, and a picture of your beauties to make you feel better
KB's turkeys.jpg
KB's turkeys.jpg (18.06 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:12 am

Poor HD flew out this am and promptly turned on a dime and flew back in when he landed on white stuff, LOL!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”