Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Jaye » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:47 am

The pickled quail eggs were compliments of my hubby, @WLLady . I don't have the recipe with me, but will try to remember to ask for it when i get home tonight.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:53 am

Oh yes!!! it was you two!!!!!! (i think my brain is getting old....sigh) i saw so many PTO members on that trip i couldn't remember who was the turkeys and who was the eggs and the other eggs and the chickens and....well....THANK YOU! (i have your jar too, next time we see each other...) i have some new pullet eggs that are roughly the same size that i could definitely "sacrifice" to the cause LOL. i love when the new pullets start laying....but if i use the eggs in baking i need about 3 of them per standard sized egg. feels like such a waste to me when i could make little morsels of wonderfulness with your hubby's recipe!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 am

Stephen lost his snood in a battle with his brothers and he did OK with me. Good Luck with your boy. I broke down and booked turkey culls in for processing, I hope they aren't $15 - yikes, must ask. It's just too much work and with 7 to do and DH hating this part easier to book them.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am

Good morning! I also have 3 turkey jakes to take in... but I'm not sure heavy enough. They weren't the last time I man handled them when they got out. They will be a year in February. Besides, I fear now that the processors will be booked now. I will wait until after.... they have to feed 18 of us for christmas. That said, I have 2 turkeys in the freezer from last year, done about this time. The one will serve good for dinner for us all. We will eat the other in March at Easter, or whenever that is. Not like I make any effort to do anything at Easter anyway. I've wrapped them REALLY well in saran, and then again in a plastic bag with all the air sucked out. I have eaten 5 year old turkeys, lol.

Our feed store has a sale going on today for the next 3. 10% off feed... 15% off clothes. going sometime. Was going to meet Colleen there, but shes slacking... and can't go until after lunch.

I want to get my plastic sheet up for trapping pigeons. Its a horrid amazing spectacular experience to bed the cattle out there, and quite often nearly get whacked in the head. For sure, it blows my hair around. So so so many. Hopefully I get that done, and Colleen and Dave can help catch. Then Colleen and I will go to Hagersville with them Friday morning. I'm quite tired of picking up handles of forks/shovels and bales and getting my hands all greasy from pigeon poop. THAT is mostly upstairs... no clue how I will catch those. There are so many its unbelievable. People around here are LAMEO for pest control. Its ME that puts down rat poison. ME that traps vermin and relocates. Whether to the great beyond or somewhere else. Other than skunks. I draw the line on that one.

So tis the time of year to pay land rent.... and prepay seed/fertilizer.... stuff to get rid of any money we may have made this year. So stupid that farmers are NOT allowed to make any money and do something else with it, besides buying more farm stuff. Capital purchases are not even allowed..... something to do with the LAW, lol. The succession is going slow, and it will be even a slower process before we are phased out and Gary's son in. The financial is going ahead on the 11th, and our accountant will be here for that.... then to do my year end. I will NEVER BE SO HAPPY TO BE RID OF DOING BOOKWORK AND WRANGLING BILLS AND MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Its cold out today. Probably the coldest morning since that stupid -12C crap we had a week or more ago. NOT enthused about winter. So... I guess its time to go to the barn.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 am

Checked with Hendersons and they are $6 plus HST sounds good to me! Mine will be small, late hatched ones but for us 2 that's fine and I generally part them out anyway.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

have a friend just took to the only place left down here and paid 15 per bird over 20 pounds. otherwise its 7. yep. i will be doing our own....i have a scalder and plucker...just need the time

okay so kb must have been the tomatoes on the trip then....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am

Yup - tomatoes and turkey girl!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 am

Tractor Supply has flat panel coop heaters on sale in the flyer. They have a built in Thermostat.
https://www.tscstores.com/HEATER-CHICKE ... 53427.aspx
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:57 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 am
Tractor Supply has flat panel coop heaters on sale in the flyer. They have a built in Thermostat.
https://www.tscstores.com/HEATER-CHICKE ... 53427.aspx
I have one, and it's a good little unit that takes the chill off. It won't heat up your coop, but at 200W, that shouldn't be expected and because it's only 200W, it's not an energy hog. Also great for keeping your feet warm while sitting at a desk. Ours will be installed in the quail run tonight, since -15 is expected.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:56 am

Good morning, how the time flies when you feel like c.r.a.p. and have bunch of people coming for lunch tomorrow.
Cold and crisp last few days, and zero C predicted for tomorrow, I guess we may as well get used to it, this is going to be the winter of 2018/19
The only bright thing, the pullets finally starting to lay at exactly 6 month, which makes it latest ever, I can only assume that my expertise in poultry breeding and years of practice have brought the resulting "late onset" laying variety of Wyandottes
that I can proudly call my own. ;)
The only saving grace, they seem to have skipped the pullet size eggs and started to lay nice medium size and.....actually in the laying boxes, rather the in every unaccessible corner they could find.
Have a safe one!

Return to “Around the Waterer”