Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:20 am

KimChick wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:40 am
Good morning! I don't mind snow or the winter as long as I'm dressed for it, but I'm not a fan of cold wind.
Aye, I’m with Kim on that, its the wind. I’ll take -30 without wind no problem, otherwise my comfy temp is -15 or warmer.

I’ll drive in the bush with the tractor to cut wood, no wind in the bush, then I sweat, windy and cold on the way back, gotta watch I don’t get sick. I’ll often bring a change of shirt and I’ll change for the ride back.

I need four inches to get out the sled :).
1BE7B458-5DA8-43DF-940E-6A2EFD0DB711.jpeg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 am

you guys can keep the snow!!!!! (been lucky down here. we had 2 inches of quarter sized hail the other day.....but no snow YET).
i'm still not done turkey hunting! and i still have almost feathered in fuzzybutts in the basement that need to move to the barn this weekend...guess i'll be moving the heat plate with them.....getting colder at night. still waiting to see how many of my heated dishes have been trashed by the gazillion mice....body count is well over 50 mice caught since friday! at least my new traps are working.
tis the season.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Good morning all!
There is a raven hanging out with my resident crow family for about a month now...and they're letting it! At first I just thought it was an unusually large female crow, and that the rest were males, but I could sort of see from a distance that there was something wrong with "her" face. Then earlier today, I got treated to a close-up view, as "she" tried to steal a chipmunk from my poor cat, right in front of me. It's as big as the cat, with a beak as big as HerpDerps' head. Definitely a raven. First I've ever seen around here! When the cat decided to pick up his prize and head for the hills, the bird flew to the trees by the graveyard, which were full of our resident crows. It's their favourite meeting spot, which I find amusing :rofl: I'm calling it Poe. Bigger surprise is that the crows seem to accept it, they all act like one big happy flock. Now, if I can just get them to say "Nevermore!" instead of imitating distressed chicks and barking dogs, I'll be a lot happier. They're not even imitating real dogs (like mine lol), they imitate a neighbours' yappy little terrier :angry:
The former owners of this property called it "Raven's Roost", and I scoffed at their ignorance because the birds that nest on the silo are pretty clearly crows. I guess the yolks on me :rofl: I doubt they'll allow Poe to stick around come breeding time, but you never know.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Maybe start calling it Crows' Corner, or some other alliterative name.

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I had Ravens move in last summer and the crows that have nested in my big pines for years relocated themselves. Then the Ravens made themselves scarce towards end of summer and I had hawks hanging around. I'll take the crows back anytime! The Ravens creep me out a bit.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 am

last day to vote for the picture of the month!!!!!
and happy halloween everyone!
pouring rain here today. i'm home because my back is giving me grief today sigh. so lots of laying down and doing nothing....got my licence plate renewal thingy in the mail last week and happy to say that service ontario has really changed their site! so, new stickers on the way. wow, getting expensive though!!!! but nice to be able to do that from the comfort of my office while watching the pouring rain outside!
let the chickens out and then all stood in the doorway going "are you nuts??!" and then saw that all the turkeys were out like nothing was going on, so they made a run for it....and all ended up just standing UNDER the coop....go figure. had about 10 dozen eggs that were old in the fridge, so hardboiled them up in 2 giant pots and then DH mashed them for me. we had super happy chickens last night. yum! hopefully this will help boost the calcium as well, i find my girls start eating more calcium at this time of year. well, another coffee needed, and some stretching i think...hopefully it will help. looks like a day to catch up on my reading.....stay dry everyone!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am

I find this weather really hard on all the creeky parts, I feel for you Kathy.
Had an interesting encounter yesterday, had dozen Ameraucana free ranging and 10 juniors out but under netting, heard what sounded like bad music, before I realized it was coming from outside, so walked out on the porch corner, I can see the barn from there, and it was very obvious there were alarm calls, and no chickens to be seen outside, decided I would have to put on boots and investigate, when a bird whipped by, about 6 feet from my head, flew across the front lawn and dowe in to the shrubbery, in a most amazing ....twist turn and dive maneuver I have ever seen.
Either a Kestrel or a Merlin as far as I could tell.
They are small birds, can't really imagine what it did around the barn, but it definitely spooked the chickens, and me ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Quite the surprise this am when we went to pick up feed from Rooneys in Iroquois. All closed up and done. Customers weren't contacted. Just an address for the other store in Kemptville. Fortunately we had time to get there.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Rooney's has sold their business. To I think, Windy Fields if I recall. My form 300 never got emailed to me, and I had Richard stop in there one day to find out what was up. I hope the chicken police don't want to see it, because their records have mysteriously vanished.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:37 am

Willows Agri from Delta!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”