Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
SusanH
Starting to Crow

Re: Good Morning!

Post by SusanH » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am

My Polish chickens are driving me nuts. First, they still roost in the tree so my nightly ritual is to get them down and put them in a coop. Night before last, one was missing. Too dark to look for her. Next morning, she was in the tree when I let the others out. Yesterday in the afternoon I noticed one missing and scoured every nook of the yard. She wasn't there at night either. This morning I found her with the ducks out in the yard.

Now they are five and a half months old. Not laying yet. Maybe they won't lay until Spring? But now they are growing wattles! The one with no beard smooth chin has big long red ones, and two of the less bearded ones have small pink ones. The fully bearded ones I don't know for sure. I will give a couple more weeks and post close-ups in the Polish breed thread so you can see what you think. Maybe Doris needs to be changed back to Boris after all. What a funny bunch.

Speaking of ducks, people keep telling me they don't lay every day. I get, from my three ducks, at least two and sometimes three, every day. I guess I'm lucky.

Miranda the Wyandotte is still not back to laying. After the failed attempt to hatch eggs, she went into moulting and is still kind of rumpless with bloomers.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:01 pm

My polish always loved to get as high up as possible. Male polish will have pointy ends on their head feathers the females will have rounded feathers on their head feathers.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am

One of those days...
Went over to the barn to discover one of my favourite hens got eaten. It was a sweet white Wyandotte from KB. She, the young rooster Lenny and her sister were off about last evening when we went over but guess she didn’t make it back in for the night. Hard trying to keep them safe when they aren’t where you live.

And I got another tick yesterday, had gone out for less than 5 min on Saturday night to cover the basil against frost and discovered it on my neck the next morning! I was wearing a turtleneck sweater too. That’s the second in a year.. how my stepson never seems to get them running around here in flip flops and shorts I’ll never know!!!!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Oh so sorry!
I don't think the tick problem is going to improve, vigilance is best.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Better get some guinea fowl.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Better get some guinea fowl.
I’m not sure the fellow who owns the farm would agree to that though he did have some geese for a few years that would make just as much of a racket and take on most things but even 2 of them were dinner for a fox or coyote...

Up until the spring he had a really nice border collie who was good a keeping an eye on things so we never had a problem but sadly he ended up going to to the ex in Toronto.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am

Good morning,
Brisk and breezy here, although the sun makes it all look so much better.
Light plane crashed down the road from us yesterday, so spent the day answering calls.....
NO a not at our house, mainly because of a spectacularly bad reporting ...

CTV.....NO not at corner of Old Almonte Rd and Howie Rd, we live there, we would have noticed!
Ottawa Citizen...NO it didn't crash in Carp, (about 8 miles away) and the reason why the house resident didn't know what the pilot was doing in Almonte, is because he wasn't in Almonte, (about 8 miles away the other way) it was Old Almonte Rd, not the same thing.
And why the resident of the house where the plane crashed would know where the pilot was going and what was he going to do there is completely beyond my comprehension.
So I guess a bit of a good morning rant. :-)

Barn quiet this morning, load of cockerels and couple old hens on the way to freezer camp, really looking forward to some fresh poultry and lovely soup stock.
Have a sunny one!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 am

Fun morning, Mum and chick arrived at the patio door looking for treats! Very cute.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 am

A few weeks back, I got some hatching eggs from WLL because I only had immature roosters. I have sort of a cage/pen for broodies, and last night doing chores I hear peep peep peep. So, WLL Kathy you are a step gramma. Seven out of the nine I set her on. Four chipmunks and three more or less yellow. Couple from dark olive eggs, couple from white and a couple from the pinky brown. Should be a good mix. Moved them to a stall this morning. I will leave them there for a few days before I let them out with the rest. A few days to get their bearings and eat and scratch without great dangers like water pails and things. Lets a runty one catch up a little. Cuts down on the chick mortality I have found.

Garden more or less in, one row of potatoes yet to dig, first frost on Thursday. Bought a bunch of used chain link to fence the goats out of the cedars. Some of it 7 foot, I am thinking about wrapping the fruit trees loosely so the goats cant eat the bark and I can graze the orchard too. That has worked well on a couple of walnut trees in the pasture.

Two of my three does bred I think. See if they cycle in three weeks or not. Then my boy flash will get the pollen producing parts rendered dormant and he has a home as a pet with some neighbors. I would eat him, but we have this rule this house, that if you know their name, they don't go on the plate.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am

Hmm, it’s getting near or just below zero every night and cool during the day but I still have one hen determined to go broody....does she know something I don’t!?

Return to “Around the Waterer”