Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 am

Good morning, technically,
Only lost one tree and hydro for 24 hours, ( so no internet no phone and no water) not too bad considering the destruction in Dunrobin and Craig Henry, can't imagine loosing a home in a matter of minutes.
Craig Henry and Arlington Woods, is an older type subdivision in west end Ottawa that was build within a wooded area with mature trees and the 30-50 year old trees were either snapped in half or completely stripped of branches, even if the houses are rebuild the area will never look the same.
If this is the type of weather that is coming our way I don't think our infrastructure is going to be able to deal with that.
On a positive side, Carp Fair was going strong and saw a pair of exceptional Buff Cochins on display, cheered me right up. :)
Have a safe one.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 am

i'm just so glad everyone is okay! listening to the news it sounds like a handful of injuries, which is incredible looking at the photos! i feel for the families that were devastated....

busy weekend this weekend. the massive "chicken move" happened. turkeys down to the "big kids" pens, chickens moved, new breeders set up, old breeders retired to the outside coop. extras moved to the outside coop. 42 boys put in the freezer....that took a couple hours yesterday! cut grass, got the weeds down in the paddock before they all poof their seeds everywhere. picked the pumpkins that were ready....(yeah, 10 pound pumpkins it said on the seed package....i needed a cart....nothing under 25 pounds), got the greenhouse ready for fall. weeded a spot where i'm going to plant sweet grass, and got the manure put in. did quite a bit of fussing about new trees, and where to put them, and how many....then neighbours popped in with carrots for the horses....then cut off a big branch from our horrible boxelder tree, which really needs to be razed..but it's the only shade we have. candled the incubator eggs and all the turkeys are not fertilized so out they go. and my missing cat turned up 13 days after she disappeared.....didn't see the fox again. thankfully i think. although the 22 has been on standby since that one night that i did see it. i have fox/yote traps coming today that will get set up in short order. i'm going to leave the one empty coop totally open with one trap right inside the door and see what happens...have a few birds going up for sale shortly. decided i likely will not make it to mount forest this fall, i just don't feel like getting up at 3 am to get there by 7. i'm getting old and lazy i think.

anyways, on with another week! hope everyone has a wonderful day.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 am

Gidday, we’re ok here (near Burnstown: between Renfrew and Arnprior). Calabogie had lots of tree damage knocking out power lines (suspect tornado). I don’t know what house damage happened.
Calabogie is 15 minutes south-west of me.

power was on and off for 24 hours: back on now.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Had a really nice thing happen on Saturday. We went down to Food Basics and were chatting about the fruit etc. Don't know why it happened but a lady came up to us and asked us if we would like some "windfall" apples that had blown off in the storm. We chatted a bit and we were talking about chickens and she said she didn't care if they went to the girls she didn't want to see them wasted. Told her yes but they would only get the peelings and cores. We ended up with a huge bag of lovely, crisp Macs with very little damage. Been freezing some down today and they only need a little bruise trimming (poor chickens LOL).
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm

How nice, ironically the trees around the house were pretty much horizontal during the storm, but very few apples came down.
Just now finding out how lucky we were, one of the tornadoes (the one that hit Nepean) started West of HWy 16 and We are pretty much in the middle of that area and Dunrobin.
Met a deer on the road heading out this morning and then one dead one in the ditch about 1/2 mile down the road.
Wish it was in my freezer.
Have a safe one!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 am

don't forget to vote for the photo of the month here Picture of the month October 2018
Only a few more days of voting left.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:13 pm

On Sunday I had the chickens out in the yard for some foraging and to help till the raised veggie bed that I had finished harvesting from. All was well until just as the light was starting to fade, when I heard several of them sounding an alarm call. When I went to see what was going on, I saw three of them lined up near the fence line by the entry gate to the run, standing stock-still and staring at three young raccoons on the other side of the fence, only feet away from them! :shocked:
I got the chickens that were outside the run safely inside and closed them in, then shooed the raccoons away. One of them was particularly bold and stubborn; he climbed up on the welding wire roof portion of the run, looking for a way in. I grabbed the first thing I could find - a piece of PVC pipe - and started banging on the roof wire in an effort to encourage him to leave and join his siblings, but he was having none of it: he hissed at me every time the pipe connected with the roof, but wasn't backing off. It wasn't until hubby arrived with a rake that he reluctantly moved on. It's disturbing how unafraid they are, even as youngsters.
After that bit of excitement, yesterday morning I woke up to no hot water. And my hair badly needed washing. Our hot water tank died. and was leaking because it was rusted out in spots. We bought another yesterday, but hubby ran out of time and energy the get the new one installed after the old one was drained, hauled upstairs and out the door. Fortunately, today is bi-weekly garbage and blue bin pick-up. Hopefully hubby can get the new one installed today.
We are finally getting some eggs from the quail pen again, which is good; integration stress has passed and everyone has decided to get along in relative harmony. Except for one cranky older hen. Plenty of space to run and hiding spots to go to for any that are being harassed, though. Of course, we have at least four more new ones arriving tomorrow, so they will likely go on strike again for another week. sigh. I am adding Tuxedo and Paisley colour variety hens to the flock - yay!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 pm

You tried to “scare” a young coon away?
I prefer a more permanent solution.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 pm
You tried to “scare” a young coon away?
I prefer a more permanent solution.
Well, yes, that would have been my preferred solution too, LOL, but I don't have a firearm, or license to use one, live trap wasn't handy and neither was the BB gun or sling shot, so I did the only thing that came to mind at the time: raise a ruckus and hope the little :sSig_censored: got the hint that he was not welcome. ☺️
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 am

LOL. it may work, stay hopeful.....i haven't seen our fox since i was out chasing it around at 230am in the morning with a pile of cursing and a flashlight and my PJs....not sure if it was the cursing, the flashlight or the PJs that scared it off honestly. LOL
well, another grey rainy morning here. although it's still DARK...um. wow can i ever tell the days are getting shorter! colour starting in the trees, looks like it may be a colorful fall! love this season. haven't made it out for deer or turkey yet, maybe this weekend. but i also need to empty, clean and defrost the freezers.....and clean the barn....and we are farm sitting, and have their dog with us at our place. she's funny....has trouble walking, but can get up and down the stairs in short order when there's cat food at the top....LOL. won't touch her own food....unless it's at exactly the same time as ours is eating, then she'll clean the bowl! owners said "nope, she can't do stairs anymore" so we have a crate, but leave it open, and guess who comes and visits us in the bedroom upstairs in the middle of the night??! yep, "can't" do stairs....crate is closed at night now...can't afford that much cat food!
trying to get the garden cleaned out. now my picnic table is covered in various squashes that need to be bleached, hardened and stored....another thing for the weekend. if it stops raining for 20 minutes! the corn is floating, will likely need waterwings to get to the treestand safely LOL. hope the deer know how to swim! have 10 perfect little babies (chicks) in the brooder in the basement-welbars and another older batch in the other brooder just out from the heat and almost ready to move to the barn, and i'm so hopeful for the one boy-i think he's a silver based carrying mahogany! he's about 3/4 feathered in now, and looking very very hopeful.....
i am moving out the rhode island reds this weekend to a new home, a good home. and the marans that are slacking freeloaders have found a "pet" home they'll be going to. so i have a bit of room in the barn coming up. have 2 egg eaters i need to get rid of, after i thaw out the freezers i'll have room....and i think in these hatches i have some half decent blue wheaten and wheaten ameraucanas to move forward with! yay! so i have another lady looking for easter eggers that will likely get my retired breeders.....THEN the barn will be ready for winter ha ha
we pressure washed all the stall walls and the floor on the weekend, looks like a new barn again! then getting time to test the heated waterers and all that. fall is so super busy! glad it's thanksgiving weekend coming up! i need the extra day!!!!

Return to “Around the Waterer”