Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Bayvistafarm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 pm

OMG, so hot hot hot and humid today!! Was all right when the wind was blowing, but tonight when I headed down to the barn the air was still. All the birds have their wings spread. Felt bad for a rooster I put in the farrowing barn. NO windows, no open fan ports.... but not too bad. Thing is, I have 2 BIG coronation sussex roosters I have NO idea what to do with... and I know they were hot. I can't believe how big they are, they were hatched in May. Huge. One is nice looking, with a nice comb.. the other, his comb flops, lol. Hope they survive tomorrow. They have a huge pen, and a fan that is kind of open, west wind blows in somewhat.

Finally in all the years I have been breeding/having guinea's, I have some pieds!! Some pearl pieds and some lavender pieds. Pretty. The Guinea family is all still around. 15 babies still. Will be a month old this coming Saturday. Small.. never been inside. Eating nothing but bugs. I have a couple waterers around. Don't seem to be drinking from them. Puddles? Well they were short lived, and not many. Dew? I have NO idea how they will survive the winter. For sure they have never been in the barn. Time will tell.

I saw WLLady had a watermelon ready. I wondered if mine were from the plants she gave me in the spring. She told me what to look for, but I guess I didn't really LOOK. I went out tonight, saw the two little dried STICKS of tendrils... and rolled it over, and it had a nice yellow belly. 21.5 pounds!!
watermelon 2018.jpg
So freaking heavy! Can't wait to cut it. Maybe tomorrow. Got 6 more out there, 2 like this one, and a few smaller. All the cucumber/squash/melon vines are all intermeshed, and grew up and over the manure pile I never got worked in this spring. It was rotted, but like goo.... and hard to dig into. Thinking it will be perfect for fall. Its shrunk A LOT!

I planted 6 'hills' of butternut squash. I cannot believe how big some of those fruits are. I thought I planted the single serving ones.... butterscotch ones, but hardly. Some are huge. Some have LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG CURVING NECKS, AND SMALL BULB AT THE END.... but I did take all those seeds out of a package. Not something I kept back. I'll take pictures sometime. You can see them all mostly now, plants do have the squash bugs now.... and the plants are blighted somewhat.. but they mostly look ready. Need curing of course. Picked on, with a few green strips... its got a gash in it.. I think that happens to them sometimes. Will cook it up sometime. I hope the rabbits around my garden stay away from them. I think right now the vines deter them. Between them and the cucumbers, things are quite prickly out there.

Pulled my onions, and they are laying on the ground curing. Didn't do well this year, with the leek moth. And some of the garlic I cut into has evidence of those stupid ass bug/worm things into the bulb. Hate bugs.

I have some really nice cucumbers downstairs since yesterday, to be made into relish, but I just cannot do it. I'm pickled out. Thinking about it makes me ill, LOL. I went to a bus meeting this morning, had the breakfast they always serve at the meetings and then left. I did take 3 women up with me, and then to the yard. We did our workshop online, and so didn't have to stay for the 2 hour meeting. I took them for their bus, theirs were ready, but mine wasn't even there? Stupid. Why they farm out the flamborough drivers buses.... dumb... we live the furthest from the yard, our buses should be there. School starts Tuesday and I don't even have a bus yet?????? Told the boss man there, I would be in for it next Thursday, lol. Idiots.

Well, I suppose I'd better go to bed. After the breakfast, and taking those for the bus went to Costco for scripts/pictures/a few things. I said to the check out guy.... "If this is under $100 I will drop dead". As I can never leave there without dropping at least $200. He covered the screen, and I said... "well? Do I live another day?". He said "$96.47", lol. Mine would have actually been lower, $11 of that stuff WAS Melissa's.

Have a great night!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:06 am

So many awesome people on this forum. @Bayvistafarm , you are one of those people.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 am

:iagree:
:iheartpto:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am

love those watermelon plants....i will have to look up which seed i got last year. we had to give a half watermelon away because we couldn't eat it all! wednesday. time is flying by. students will be moving back to town soon for the university (then watch it get crazy on the roads!). new fuzzies hatching last night and today. so far there's 11 or so....welbars and ameraucanas. i have to outcross my ameraucanas to get the size back up so i'm weeding out feathered legs. the combs are good.....crossed back to wheaten marans (i have wheaten and blue wheaten ameraucanas) so figured the blue egg thing was easy to select for, and then the combs, and now it's just feathered legs....and i have a few down there looking great! this is 3 years after the cross, so getting them back to good again. slowly but surely.
too many turkeys.....and was hoping to pawn some off on @Bayvistafarm LOL. guessing not happening! ha ha. i did hatch some nice royals this year, good black and white colour and no other colour.....and hopefully i'll get a few reds from the incubator next tuesday....everyone started laying again (outside of course!) and last night the one tom was sitting on the nest cooing away....weird birds.
long weekend this weekend! i cannot wait. i will have to get to the relish and ketchup and pickling and canning and well...that's going to be ALL i do this weekend. the garden is loaded and busting out the fence (i have watermelons on my lawn.....they grew through the fence....). i also have to get scarifying some seeds in the freezer (i stole some seed from my grandma's wild roses in quebec) and get the seed from the chives planted (my grandpa's 100 year old chives-that have, in the last 30 years, grown out of the garden, across the driveway, through the brick wall and into the lawn in quebec). really happy to have gotten some seeds from them. and of course need to plan my herb garden for next year!
and set up the quads in pens for the next year's breeding programs. and of course start my new project, mahogany bearing silver duckwing barred birds (think silver welbars with mahogany breast instead of salmon)... @windwalkingwolf i'll try also to get photos of them this weekend. i think you'll like them. :-)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 am

:beer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 am

Good morning! All is well.... except the humidity.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:37 am

lol. You guys are too kind!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Wow I've never had any luck growing watermelon.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm

22 pound beauty picked tonight
20180829_175026.jpg
20180829_174451.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 am

Is anyone from this area going to the Fall Mt. Forest BST 30th Sept?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”