Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Good early afternoon, more adventures in Upper Huntley,
Decided to go out for lunch yesterday to anywhere with air conditioning, house is getting a bit unbearable.
Got home checked on chickens, everybody was happy in the barn, decided to leave everybody in, since they haven't even wenturned in to the Quonsets, went inside and suddenly wind picked up, I remembered open patio umbrella, ran outside only to observe a totally bizarre sight, the 7 foot umbrella lifting strait up, clearing the glass top table by about 2feet and travelling "Mary Poppins" style for about 20 feet, before crashing in the middle of the lawn.
All I could think of, glad I didn't let the chickens out !
Off to buy a new umbrella, have a cool one!
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Getting really worried about the birds at this point especially the turkey toms. I have shut Freddie in a coop today with a fan running because he won't stay in the shade. He follows me wherever I go. I tucked a couple of iced bottles under his wings at one point.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I found it surprising when they chose to stay in the barn rather then go out, I guess it's cooler there then outside, I have started to freeze plastic waterers about one third full of water and just top up with water before putting them out.
I have noticed they gather around the waterers , so I suspect they are using the as air conditioners, hope the slanted sides will protect the plastic, so far no leeks.
I hate to see the birds panting.
Not that happy for this newish development of "weather" hanging around for a long time, it seems to me you can take almost anything for couple of days, but this is way too long even for a heat wave. :(

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

My one black Cochin girl (Stella) is panting a fair bit but she's digging and hunting and doing her normal thing so I'm not worried about her yet. Bought the birds a watermelon while shopping today and they finished off my ice cold cantalope on Sunday. Yesterday's temp wasn't bad here and it cooled off nicely last night. My coop is quite hot despite being shaded most of the day so I'm running fans on the nesting boxes and for a couple hours in the evening to make it more comfortable. Ive got frozen water bottles inserted in their plastic waterers. That way they can be changed out through the day. And lastly they've got a kiddie pool with bricks and flat rocks in the water for easy walking. They hate it lol. I however love to stick my feet in it after filling it with nice cold tap water. It's my red neck wading pool. Oh and OC I've resorted to tying my patio umbrella down lol. I get a crazy wind off Georgian Bay almost year round so umbrellas have ended up in my neighbor's field...on my roof...in the ditch a 1/2 km away...I now have a big side arm style and it gets tied down to the railing of the deck in 2 places. Opening and closing is a 2 person job!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Just thinking how lucky you were not to go away on that trip @windwalkingwolf
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:29 am

No kidding! I had to bring the bronze turkey poults back in the house, two went down in the heat! One recovered, one did not. I put a sprinkler out yesterday and today, and everybody is appreciating it. They take turns coming out from shade, getting misted and then going back to shade. Without it, the meat chickens at the least would be dead, I have no doubt. AND, yesterday evening, a bull went through the fence and headed straight for the neighbour's dairy barn. Can you imagine if we were hours away? I actually tried to book Jay in at Farmersville for before we were supposed to leave, but the earliest they had a spot was next week. He's a gorgeous bull and he's come a long way from the wild, ornery thing he was, but I will NOT be sorry to see him go.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 pm

My husband of 44 years died today. It wasn't unexpected, and I'm glad his suffering is over, but still, as anyone who has lost a spouse will tell you, now there is a huge hole in my heart where as Paul Simon sings "everybody sees the wind blow". I sure am grateful to these Fur and feather friends for giving me a reason to get up tomorrow.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:42 pm

SusanH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 pm
My husband of 44 years died today. It wasn't unexpected, and I'm glad his suffering is over, but still, as anyone who has lost a spouse will tell you, now there is a huge hole in my heart where as Paul Simon sings "everybody sees the wind blow". I sure am grateful to these Fur and feather friends for giving me a reason to get up tomorrow.
So sorry to hear
I know what it’s like
No words seem right to say so I’ll just say I’ll be thinking of you

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:47 pm

:hug: I'm so sorry for your loss Susan. :sEm_ImSorry:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

windwalkingwolf