General discussion forum.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Good Morning!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Trying to weed the veggies and garlic and it's still dry despite the rain yesterday and previously.
So I'm staring at an incubator which will be empty tomorrow. I don't need any more birds BUT I have blue eggs from pure ameraucanas and green eggs from an easter egger. Daddy is a Light brahma X ameraucana and it would be so cool to see what comes out. Trying to resist.....
@Brebis these are the same blue and green eggs you got. Hope they were fertile.
chicken borg.jpg
Resistance is futile!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear Al, Wow the bald eagle must have been desperate-we have 3 nesting pairs, and they go after fish in the river and carrion-never had them bother any of the chickens or the turkeys here!

we finally got rain too yesterday and looks like maybe some scattered showers coming today too-would be nice. we need another inch or two to really get us back up to speed. i have corn that is JUST sprouting, because it's only had 2 rains since it was planted! so i'll have tall corn and not so tall corn....and hopefully it will all catch up by harvest time.

grass is finally growing on our big black burnt square...finally. we've had to run the sprinkler at least twice a day to keep it moist enough to sprout. and finally the garden is starting to grow up. so many little black ants this year - they decimate my lettuce sprouts! argh!
slowly getting things back together after the fire.....i think the clean up is just about done. we keep finding nails and screws though, of course all perilously close to the driveway. so more sweeping with the magnets, every day we do another pass. hopefully that will end soon.

it was so hot again this last week that the horses are shedding again, and so is the dog....the question will be how much hair can a horse shed before said horse is bald? LOL. my clyde gelding finally just lost his winter mustache....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Wonder if it might produce a nice green or olive egg? Tricky since I don't remember what colour egg he hatched from.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:13 pm

im hatching some LB (+sports) leghorns, a couple EE's and RIR'S!!! Thanks Kathy! yeah its a younger bird that hasnt fully fledged, theres no white on it at all. its Huge! it happened out in the bean field, no marks on the body at all, head severly damaged, throat ripped opened and breast consumed. the bird was seen alive an hour before it was found at 10am. im only assuming it was the bald eagle because i have seen it in the field eating things on the ground before. is a huge bummer. we are workjng on a plan to cover the top of the run prior to ever letting any poultry back out. the geese are in the run and I want to let the ducks out soon. chicks wont happen for a while yet..... I think were up to 15 now! still pippin n zippin!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello everyone. Its been a while. So extremely busy, calving still (have about 20 on the ground... 15 more to go), although there are some extreme slacking in getting the calves on the ground. We are into hay.... and are currently spraying soybeans. Corn is sprayed. Wheat looks good, and despite being really dry, we got 5 mm a while ago, and just nearly 10mm last weekend. It actually rained this morning, and I cut grass, waiting for it to quit. Thinking I would quit.. it finally did. I dried off, and continued. Weed whacked the lane last week, and have cut it twice since.

Hatched 3 batches of chicks.. some polish (have a bunch to sell), and 3 marans... two corries, and thought I had a freaking pair, but nope. 2 rooster. Want to find someone to switch me a pullet for a cockerel. Most of them were EE's. Sold the whole second batch, and whiners telling me they are mostly roosters. No surprize. Here they were and are too. My latest batch 6 weeks old is shaping up to be a very colourful bunch. Ugh.

We are into the brick house. I think ALL the stuff is finally out of the stone house, and Heather (Jeremy's wife) and her parents mostly have the place ripped totally apart. Making huge changes. Fine by me. I guess Gary did the same when he took over the farm. NO money has changed hands yet....... kind of bugged me a little when I jokingly said "I've always wanted to do stuff to this house... maybe I will move back in", to which Heather replied.... 'ha ha... you wouldn't be able to afford the rent'. Hope that was a joke... but its just kind of still simmering on my back burner. They thought they had their house sold.. full offer... until the house inspection. So, now back to showings. However... they WILL be living in this house long before the final sale of this place..... and I guess I'd better NOT suggest rent... or sometime in the future, when Gary is dead and gone, and I am OLDER and living in a house they could be getting $1500 a month for... I will find myself out in the ditch. But, I've always maintained, NO one lives for free. You work, you work hard for what you have/get. Pisses me off how some people seem to get off, with what they have, without doing a damn thing for it. Oh well, better get off THAT soap box.

Garden is poop. So dry, trying to spot water, and stuff is eating my beans as they come up, likely flea beetles. I have leek moth so BAD in my garlic, and if your all thinking your garlic looks piss poor because its dry... maybe it is.. and maybe it isn't. This is a new pest, here. Not in Ontario, prefers leeks, but will decimate ALL alliums. I used BTK on it once. To hell if its not enough. I'm tired of breastfeeding everything that needs titting around here. I think I need a break.

That sort of starts tomorrow. Morning bus runs will be the same as always. Night times will be random. Exams.. and most times very few kids stay around all day to wait for the bus home. Most can find a ride. Except those that are playing in town, and just looking for a ride home. Last drive for me is the 27th. Then my day won't be broken up for a couple months.

I'm also trying to fix these flower gardens and borders up here at the brick house. And YAY. Got my greenhouse moved up here last Saturday. Got my old house fridge and stove moved to the basement, for my eggs, and other stuff (got a stupid SMALL... normal sized fridge in the kitchen here), but using ONE GD plug for the fridge/freezer/4 incubators...... a dehumidifier... and sump pump when it comes on. Cripes. I wish Gary's friend would get the hell here and get me more plugs down there. Because also the stove needs a different plug, and I will be canning and pickling down there. cucumbers are trying to think about laying down, and will have pickles before that stove is ready.

Gary took a heifer to VG meats to be custom killed for 2 of our kids and my sister. They usually buy all our cattle...... so we thought we would try them out for our custom kills.... but was kind of pissy when my sister called and said they wanted to know which quarter she was getting. Front or back half. I told her the whole side was cut up, and divided. Well, VG called me and NOT so. Who the hell ever heard of selling beef that way?? I guess they so, and the front half is cheaper than the back half. Understandably so... but GAWD. So, they both (Jess and my sister), have to agree on what size of roasts/steaks, how many in a pack blah blah blah, and literally have to divide the meat into fair shares when its picked up. DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess I'll sign off for another few months, lol. Think I've said enough to last that long.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

My housing drama continues. The Wyandottes go to bed to the chicken coop, the ducks go to the duck coop, and the Polish chicks go to a tree branch just out of my reach. From whence I pluck them nightly to take them to the coop. They are not getting the message. Of course they say the same thing about me!
Any suggestions? They seem to dislike the coop. By the time I push them in there, it's dark, and there are no windows. Maybe I need to make a window? The roosts are 2x4s, the broad side as recommended so they can keep their feet warm in winter. But maybe they'd prefer a narrower roost? Or maybe they get a bang out of being fished out of the tree and hand carried to bed every night. Are they capable of such manipulation? Of course for now it's ok, a little bedtime bonding, but some day it's going to be a pain.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 am

I have a light in the coops because sometimes my girls seemed nervous to go into the darkness.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 am

I agree with KB: chickens do not see well in dim light or darkness. Younger birds tend to want to hang about outside as long as possible in the evening and then are reluctant to go into a darkened coop. I have a light in the coop when the days are shorter. Also I recommend at least one window. The more light, the better. It helps with egg production too.
My younger pullets had somewhere else to roost in the coop until they were old enough to be accepted on the main roosts by the older girls. Do you have space for another roost somewhere?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 am

I stumbled upon this last night. Apparently, the best perch should be square and about 4 cm. http://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and- ... -1-2842822

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 am

Well a second racoon has gone to meet its ancestors today. It was wall eyed too. I have found that covering the back of the trap where the bait is works well because it can't get its paws through and set the trap off from the outside. Wonder how many more there are, this was in the turkey pen again.
Also watching our delightful Phoebes raising their 3 little ones. They'll be flying any day now they are overflowing the nest. This is the second year they've come back to the same site. Very convenient since it's on a downspout bend by the house. Doing great work on the bugs.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”