Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Sorry @Farrier1987. I won't be turning up with your rooster. Apparently we are keeping him and treating the infected eye. I guess DH feels some affinity with him (and I'm not commenting either)!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:21 am

Well, it's a morning. Good remains to be seen. I'm freaking out a little. We are suddenly having to travel to New Brunswick at the end of the month, for at least three days but probably five to seven. We've managed to line up a farm sitter, but I don't trust her as far as I can throw her--she's my husband's sister and suffers from severe lack of responsibility. I have babies brooding right now, more hatching before we leave and some hatching when we're gone...which is ok...my youngest son (has asd, still lives at home) will take care of them as per my to-do list. But we also have over 100 birds, goats, dogs, cats, bulls, 4 calves, and 9 hogs to take care of. Farm sitter in question cannot seem to even handle feeding the four calves once a day.
We're going to the funeral of a family member I wasn't close to at all, but my mother is, and I somehow promised to take her, and she wants to look for somewhere to live while she's there (she HAAAATTTTEEESSS Toronto). My husband, Richard, is looking forward to the trip as a way to "get away from it all", go hiking in new places, and maybe catch part of Hagerty's Great Race or whatever it's called.
Me, I love the Maritimes, but I don't WANT to get away from "it all". I LIKE "it all" right here, and I'm envisioning coming back from this trip to find dead birds or dead pigs or skinny animals bawling for water, OR OR OR. And then there'll be a problem. As Russell Peters quotes his father, "Somebody's gonna get a hurt real bad". I have a backhoe, and 40 acres of swamp, and I know how to use both. :karate:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am

OK, do you really have to go? Can't Richard go on his own? How about getting her a plane or train ticket.
Vians comments I can't put on here!
Last edited by Killerbunny on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 am

Aw jan i'm sorry-do you have a 4h group out there?kids would probably love a chance to help out...or..
My day started out with email from people with 2 of my chickens doe the summer. Well. They raised their coop on wheels so they could move it easier. And you can guess what the email said. So.....sigh. i am now refusing more chickens....if they ask again....they can get eggs here....or at their neighbours. Sigh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Jan, can I help out? I won't be able to get out there every day, but are there non-daily things I can do?
And yeah, what @Killerbunny said ... Sounds like a fun trip for Richard, not so much for you. If there's a way he can go and take care of business, that would be ideal.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:57 pm

That is a bummer, any chance dividing the trip in to his and hers?
Have you considered trying to find a "house sitter", some people may want to try the rural life before they plunge?
Sometime strangers are better then relatives, I have used this https://www.housecarers.com

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am
OK, do you really have to go? Can't Richard go on his own? How about getting her a plane or train ticket.
Vians comments I can't put on here!
Plane ticket was my first thought. I figured I'd go with her if I MUST, rent a car while we were there, and then fly back alone tout de suite and she could househunt or do whatever by herself. Or (cheaper), drive down with Richard, have him stay and entertain my mother (they get along famously) while I fly back post haste. But after a couple days of sweating, fretting, wondering what the hell did I get myself into, I've now got most of a plan in place.
The relationship between my mother and I is...complicated, to say the least. There are some horrible skeletons in the closet that she helped close in there. We don't talk, except about the weather and other such surface things, so because I have little patience for shallow things and religious zealotry, suffice it to say I don't talk to her much. Twice a year, maybe. I'd like more, but I'm "the bad seed", and she doesn't want 'more' from me unless I want to talk about how much I love Jesus, or how great of a mother she was, despite turning a blind eye to some very bad things done to me by some very bad neighbours.
That's just for starters. I won't go into details, except to say that the things this woman did and said to me, and allowed to happen to me growing up, made me someone not to be messed with, and for that, I thank her. I've spent my life proving her wrong about me, not to her, but to myself. I can never convince HER, and haven't bothered trying in a very long time.
It's been two years since I've seen her, and 5 before that.
We don't see eye to eye, to put it mildly, but she's not young and she had a big hand in making me who I am today. I am fairly proud of all that I have accomplished, even if she is not, and she IS my mother. She's outlived both her parents in years, and I don't know how much time she has left. Also, if I have the opportunity to help her move away from my youngest sister, and out of this province, I'm happy to help.
It's just a lot to deal with and organize in a very short time.
It's ok, I'm good under pressure. I've had my anxiety attack/freakout about being away from my beloved babies for ANY length of time, and now I'm getting down to business. Getting plans in place to have my beloved animals taken care of. Richard's sperm donor, er, father, is still living with us, which presents it's own set of problems if we have to be away, but that's HIS problem. Despite being in control of his faculties, and still being somewhat mobile and capable, said sperm donor has come to expect to be waited on hand and foot. I have to school my tongue daily, and I can't say I'm not looking forward to a couple of days away from THAT.
Eric, my youngest (disabled) son, is stepping up to many of the tasks. Despite his own limitations, he sees how this is affecting me and is anxious to relieve me and assure me my babies will be ok. My other son, Peter, is going to come out from his own busy life, and check up on the bigger animals that Eric cannot manage. To make sure that sister-in-law is doing what we will be paying her to do, and if necessary, doing those things if she is not. Both sons have instructions to report to me on a daily basis while I am away, and I am confident that I will get accurate reports. If they say everything's good, I know it IS.
Yes, I am THAT anal that I need extra backups :) I have most excellent children.
Another couple of days of fine-tuning the plans, and I might actually be able to relax a little bit. :coffe-news:

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 am

Jaye wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm
Jan, can I help out? I won't be able to get out there every day, but are there non-daily things I can do?
And yeah, what @Killerbunny said ... Sounds like a fun trip for Richard, not so much for you. If there's a way he can go and take care of business, that would be ideal.
Thank you SO much for the offer! No, not really, the twice daily chores are the main thing, and I think now I've got them covered. I'm just a worry wart, and was worried my critters wouldn't have enough food, or water, or some bull or pig would charge the electric fence and get loose, and there's be nobody here who could put it back. I think I've got it covered now, but I'm still lining up backup plans just in case LOL
BUT, if you just HAPPEN to coincidentally drive by my place, I'd appreciate it if you could roll your car windows down and let me know if you hear screams ;)

@Ontario Chick, we have considered using a service such as that. This time, it just wouldn't be possible. The main house is well occupied, and our granny flat, which we usually have rented out, is currently home to some unwelcome 6-legged german pests thanks to the daughter of its last occupant. The human Canadian pests moved out 3 weeks ago, but I'm still seeing the german ones over there, and until I'm sure that the six legged pests are completely eradicated from that apartment, and sure they haven't migrated into MY living space, I will not be inviting anyone, ANYONE, into my house.
I am ok with most bugs. But these particular ones must be killed with extreme predjudice. Once that is sorted out to my satisfaction, I may very well look at something like housecarers or a workaway program. Heaven knows we could use an extra set of hands.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 am

I understand about the complicated thing Jan. Having been told to give Vian up or get out of the house and never come back she was pretty surprised I never DID come back! He is a Papist Polack you know! Did visit her in Scotland before she died and it was OK she was civil. I am ashamed to say I cry more over my birds when they go home than I did over Mother, there was just no feeling there that I cared.
Anyway, glad you have great kids (Eric seemed a nice young man). Hope all goes well.
ANd as for bugs Eeeeeeeew, hope you sort that out.
Mutt chickens for eggs

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

A "papist Polack" :-o

Return to “Around the Waterer”