Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by TomK » Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 am

SusanH wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:30 am
I was kind of regretting my duck addition, such a lot of extra work, and they run from me? I have persisted in handling them anyway, capturing the poor terrified things and making them sit on my lap with their heads tucked into my elbow until they calm down. They seem to be resigned to getting used to this, as it is getting easier. Yesterday when I picked up Elfie, she stood on my lap, pressed her breast to mine and put her head on my shoulder, nuzzling my ear. So, ok, this is going to work out after all.
Gee thanks a whole lot Susan..lol..I have been resisting going down the duck path and it's not easy as MJ has a love affair going on with ducks for some reason...and for the most part my resisitance has been successful..then you go and write this... :sAng_banghead: sAng_rantTealc:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 am

even just a pair of pet quality calls provides lots and lots of endless entertainment. i love watching duck be ducks, I'll be looking for some grey calls tommorow.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm

TomK wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 am
SusanH wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:30 am
I was kind of regretting my duck addition, such a lot of extra work, and they run from me? I have persisted in handling them anyway, capturing the poor terrified things and making them sit on my lap with their heads tucked into my elbow until they calm down. They seem to be resigned to getting used to this, as it is getting easier. Yesterday when I picked up Elfie, she stood on my lap, pressed her breast to mine and put her head on my shoulder, nuzzling my ear. So, ok, this is going to work out after all.
Gee thanks a whole lot Susan..lol..I have been resisting going down the duck path and it's not easy as MJ has a love affair going on with ducks for some reason...and for the most part my resisitance has been successful..then you go and write this... :sAng_banghead: sAng_rantTealc:
Oh Tom, you must given in to your inner ducky daddy. Did you know duck poop does not need composting? I just used the soiled bedding to mulch my tomatoes, and the filthy water from their swimming pool is perfect for watering plants. What's not to like?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Love ducks too, but .. what's not to like? The filthy water from their swimming pool. lol
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Jaye wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 pm
Love ducks too, but .. what's not to like? The filthy water from their swimming pool. lol
Whew!..thanks Jaye.... :run:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 am

I miss the noise of ducks. My geese are boss here.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon May 28, 2018 6:58 am

Wow!... Its Monday..and I amd tird...what a way to head to work...been at it hard since Thursday...weather man said, "trust me folks, its going to be a washout on the weekend"...well, we went at it feverishly trying to get the garden in ahead of the impending deluge..fruit trees to plant, seeds to sow, grass to mow, trimming to do, raspberry canes to wire up, strawberries to mulch and take out runners...all that and get everything set up for the anniversary party for my parent's 65th...that was yesterday...all that plus do the regular stuff and with the rain in mind..well, we never had the rain..I have mixed feelings..needed the water, but didnt really want to party indoors so it was ok, I guess..the party went off without a hitch, a great time had by all, my folks tickled pink....the garden is almost completely in, the trees are in and we actualy got the grass mowed..I was spared the trimming by a sudden lack of string (yay!)... Sister flew in from BC, brother dealt with weekend Toronto traffic to come up from Guelph, all my kids and partners and grandbaby made it for the bash...and the Marans are growing...notice I got the chickens into this?... Lol...i need sleep...not happening so off to work I go...enjoy your day folks... :run:

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 am

Based on the noise they make, it seems I have three females, which is certainly better than all three males, but, in a duck corollary to chicken math, I guess I will have to get them a boyfriend...next year.
Last night I had the chicks in their permanent coop and the ducks in the mini coop. When I let them out this morning, the chicks were huddled by the door. The two groups ran towards each other. What a great way to start the day. Each duck got a hug, then all five chicks flew up onto my head and arms and shoulders. What do they want? The two fur hat chicks are sort of facing off, faking jabs, scratching the earth like little bulls. I have never had a rooster, but this looks like rooster behaviour.

Geese, eh? I am a bit afraid of geese. I think one bit me when I was little. Do they bite?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 am

Good morning!
Glad it's a nicer day today. Clear sky and not humid.
DH is out rototilling the garden, chickens have been fed, flower beds need watering, wheat sprouts have been watered, load of laundry is on the go and will be hung...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 29, 2018 11:55 am

Good morning,
We may be joining 21st century, fiber optics finally made it all the way to Ottawa West, or as they like to call it "extreme" Ottawa West.
Bell guy has been to the house and gone twice, before I left at 9am, I think he keeps going to ask somebody what to do next, so this could go either way.
Planted cucumbers on Sunday, they have doubled in size since then.
Should have salad out of the garden starting next wknd.
Have a safe one!

Return to “Around the Waterer”