General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 pm

JimW wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 pm
KimChick,

I fish Eastern Ontario a lot as well, but there is not the same type of fishery in Eastern Ontario that can match the Great Lakes when you are after certain species.

We usually eat fish once or twice a week and prefer fish I catch. I fish Lake Erie for walleye. Eastern Ontario has lots of Lakes with walleye, but main are over-fished and the limit is only 4 fish, so when fishing Eastern Ontario for walleye I usually only keep a couple.

Lake Erie has an abundance of large walleye and you can keep 6 per licence and the Lake Erie can support a regular harvest of fish, MNR reports this year is best walleye population in 20 years. Plus fishing on Lake Erie for walleye uses different techniques then when I fish in Eastern Ontario. So Lake Erie is a nice road trip, my family lives down there, lots of fish for the freezer and different fishing techniques. Love it!!

I also regularly travel to the Toronto area for fish Lake Ontario for salmon, no 4 pound bass is Eastern Ontario can compete against fighting a 30 pound salmon with the CT Tower in the background.

JimW
KimChick wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm
JimW wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 am

Hey Ross first fishing trip 1st or 2nd weekend in May if things go as planned.

How you doing these days Ross? My best fishing buddy just bought a used Great Lakes fishing boat .... 26 feet cuddy cabin, captains chairs fully rigged for trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. It will be a comfortable big water ride. It will be docked at Port Stanley I will be making several trips down this summer to fish. I am sure we can get you and your grandkids out some day if you are up to it.

Jim

Breaks over back to driving
Question: Why would you go all the way to Lake Erie when there is fantastic fishing in Eastern Ontario with all these lakes? Don't mind me, just askin'. My husband is the one who does all the fishing and loves it out this way, especially since we moved here.
Well, then Jim, have a great time! It's nice that family is there, too.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 am

Well my girl Whitetip, survivor of 3 dog attacks and a daughter of Little Mama (who Jan has/had), has been making chooking noises and mantling her wings in a pre-broody display. Although I love broodies I hope she changes her mind because she's 5 and has never done this before. Silly girl.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 am

morning all!

hope i get time for fishing this year too jim! maybe if i get up to Quebec sometime in the summer-i love the trout fishing up there in the laurentians. lots of small deep lakes and good cold rivers.

well, split up the turkeys into their proper pens last night. that was fun....lock those ones in, herd those ones out, lock those ones out and then walk them over there and lock them in and.....LOL. anyways, at least the pens with the outdoor runs can double as 6 pens if i close the doors, and i could separate everyone with only a couple escapees that needed chasing around the barn. hubby was very very helpful in preventing outdoor escapees and blocking off the barn hallway so they were at least close to the pens most of the time. so, now they're split up. royal palms boys together (and not fighting thanks to some hubby intervention and a dominant hen intervention....she was something, waltzed right up to the younger boy and put him in his place with one go!) with the royal girls. the calico hens i have went in to the royal pen because the kids will be 3/4 royal and i need new blood in there, so next year i won't get calico anymore....and the red palms are together, and the red slates and bronze are together. still have 2 boys to process, maybe tonight if i get the time....or tomorrow....or thursday....LOL

phew.

managed to hatch 6 of 10 turkey eggs that survived a 6 hour power outage. 2 went bad (leaky but not stinky thank goodness!), 2 didn't hatch. cleaning out the hatcher tonight and turning that off now for a good month. i think the 2 that went bad were actually ones i scooped from under the jennies having brooding issues.....

bought the water reservoir system for the sportsman incubator. should have done that EONS ago! soooo nice. a bit irritating to install (the hose runs through a port, and the plug for the port cannot come off the hose, so trying to feed the hose onto a barbed connector INSIDE the incubator with a clip that you need pliers to run in a small space).....but hubby to the rescue (i just do not have the patience these days)....filled it up and it's holding a steady 1 inch water in the tray and automatically filling! i love it!!!! hopefully that will mean i don't have to fill and check water daily anymore!
setting turkeys again this weekend.....and will set chickens the weekend after.....last big hatch of the year, and then i'll only have project hatches after that. cleaned all the pens in the barn on sunday, opened up the windows and turned on the fans (to discover one died over the winter). had a replacement thankfully...so hubby got that installed and now we are officially set for summer. a part of me can't help but wonder when winter will return LOL. what would i do without hubby!!!!!???

today it's raining a little-will get the hay and grass growing hopefully! we saw our first swallows yesterday in the barn! yay! little mosquito and fly eating machines!!!! i sure don't mind having them around! sure sign of spring.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 am

Good morning,
Spring barn clean up yesterday, third compost bin filled, and last compost pile finished, now all I need is some rain and things should start cooking.
Will start testing fertility on the weekend and start collecting eggs depending on Jim's Hatchery date trip.
It occurred to me today that we should be putting in the garden in few weeks and the garden is still frozen, interesting spring.
Have a sunny one!

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Picked up my Performance Poultry order this afternoon...didn't get any of the 10 speckled sussex I ordered, good thing I didn't have to drive far. I have 3 chicks that seem oddly out of place...we shall see. This rain can piss off any time! had to pull two cows out of the manure pile!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 pm

"good thing you didn't have to drive far?"
sheesh WPG, you could get there on a bicycle! (or at least I could when my shape wasn't so round)

from snow and minus ridiculous...to mud...to 20 degrees all in a span of a couple weeks: what happened to spring? I remember a month of 10 degrees and flying a kite as a kid. dirtbike or atv, pellet gun hitting starlings, cycling the sideroads looking for bottles, and the .22 for beavers and groundhogs, all before the bugs got bad.

I guess now I really am an old fart..."back when I was your age...."

:farmer: :beer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

Purple Martins just arrived!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri May 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Hydro out here, course I have eggs in the incubator. Took them out and put them under my broodie silkies. So they at least should be ok.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Hydro has been out for a while. I dug out a small generator to run the incubator and brooder. I hope the hydro comes back on soon.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Mine was out for several hours as well. Scary wind.

Return to “Around the Waterer”